Nissan throws in the towel, ending US production of NV and NV200

Raul

Adventurer
As I understand, they designed the US van by a committee, trying to make everybody happy (I want a long hood, no engine inside, body on frame, V8,....) and the result was a pick-up truck with a hunch.

I wonder the same about a Euro version instead of an specific model. they already have a van in Europe for years that fits that .
1591713044131.png

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
They could bring that NV400 here and I bet sell at least as many of those as the long nose abomination they made here, probably more even. Is it the regulations are enough different that global platforms can't work here?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If they offered 4wd on the 3500's I'd let you win.

At least until the trans fails, or the van bounces off the road and kills all of us. We have a bunch of the chassis cab vans now. They're pretty scary to drive. No idea why the van bodies can't go on a truck frame? And drive in an actual straight line without bouncing like a rocking chair.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
If they offered 4wd on the 3500's I'd let you win.

At least until the trans fails, or the van bounces off the road and kills all of us. We have a bunch of the chassis cab vans now. They're pretty scary to drive. No idea why the van bodies can't go on a truck frame? And drive in an actual straight line without bouncing like a rocking chair.
As someone who drives a standard GM van pretty much every day (work van or personal van) I have had nothing like the experience you describe.

Must be a flaw with the cab/chassis combo.

And I can't understand why any one who likes vans would want there to be less options on the market. More options is better for everyone.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I want them to go away so I don't get issued one at work.

I've had a dozen. Econoline, Express 3500 short and long. Every single one of them was a death trap that screamed ''disposable technician that we don't care about'' when I got to the jobsite. Exhausting to drive compared to my current trucks, which are relaxing in comparison.

Grassland

I smiled when I knew I'd never have to drive an E series ever again. I drive a Transit 250 3.7 now, and while it had a long list of issues, it still out performs every E250 4.6 2v and 4 speed ever.
Nissan ******** itself not offering 4x4 on those vans. Less room than MB and Ford tall vans, more money than GM vans (locally anyways) was a good way to get poor sales volumes

roving1

Good riddance. Now we need to kill off the gm express vans.

Chassis cab truck with a box is soooooooo much better.
Those G vans are some of the worst riding and handling vehicles still being made with one of the worst most awkward driving positions. My Jeep CJ Is the only thing I can even compare it too.

whith

This is a live conversation with many variables, but the GM 4x4 with independent front end is so much better On road than the Ford 4x4 with solid axle it’s not even close. Again, depends on the converter and upgrades etc. but I’ve had a Quigley in both with equally upgraded suspension and have ridden in aNd driven a SMB conversion with custom shocks and again, not even close. In fact, I wouldn’t trade my Express for a stock GM 2500 pickup which I’ve also driven extensively...so there you go...for what it’s worth.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The Euro version of the Nissan looks decent at least. The NA version of their full size is an abomination, and I wouldn't use someone else's money to buy one. I do very much like the looks of the little Nissan, but there are lots of options for small vans I guess.

I can't say I am surprised that these didn't do better with these. Work van or not, they are ugly and no one wants to roll up to the jobsite in something that looks like that.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
The Nissan NV400 from Europe is a rebadged Renault as part of the Nissan-Renault Alliance; IIRC the element of Renault in that is limited to 4500kg GVM. Above that is Renault Truck territory, who are owned by Volvo Truck...

Interestingly, Renault do a 4x4 version of the Master (much like the Transit 4x4) - clicky here: https://www.renault.co.uk/vans/master/engines.html and then select the traction tab. Gives about a 65mm lift at the front and 60mm at the back according to the spec sheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier