No Real Surprise Here...LC Owners Love Their Rigs

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...eeps-their-truck-for-over-11-years/ar-AAHiAJj

The Average New Land Cruiser Owner Keeps Their Truck For Over 11 Years
The Toyota Land Cruiser is famously built to last. Used across the Australian Outback, throughout Africa’s toughest areas and in violent conflict zones by United Nations peacekeeping forces, it’s supposed to outlast everything else in the harshest conditions. According to a new study by iSeeCars, it’s also outlasting everything in American garages, with the highest average ownership length of any new car.
a car driving on a road: Photo: Toyota
Photo: Toyota
The study looked at over 5 million transactions of vehicles being sold by their original owners. On average, the cars that they looked at were kept for 8.4 years before changing hands. Land Cruiser buyers, though, keep their cars for 11.4 years.
The top ten is rounded out by three other SUVs, five sports cars and one sedan. The Toyota Avalon, according to iSeeCars, is the tenth-longest-kept vehicle on sale and the top sedan with an average original ownership period of 9.7 years. The next car on the list is, shockingly, the BMW 3 Series with a length of 9.6 years. Given the car’s high lease rates and premium status, that’s a surprise.
Unsurprisingly, the list is heavily skewed toward nameplates that have existed for decades. The Mercedes SL, Porsche 911, Chevy Corvette and Ford Mustang make the list.
Those examples are also sports cars that tend to be popular second cars, used on weekends or as retirement cars. It’s not surprising, then, to see them sticking around for a while.
And though pickup trucks are often marketed for their durability and longevity, none of them crack the top 10. The one that owners keep the longest, according to the study, is the Nissan Frontier. They’re kept for 9.1 years on average, which may be partially due to the model’s slow rate of change over the years.
Research the Toyota Land Cruiser on MSN Autos

brentbba

Explorer
I'm certainly one that would skew the LC number. Original owner of a '94 - 25 years, 257,000 miles and I'm NOT selling her!

DCGibbs

Observer
1988 62 Series, Original Owner, daily driver, wheeled hard, and slow. Driven Fast and long, 312,000 miles... We have a spare engine, axles, & t-case. Was offered 32K for it as is, and I said No Thanks, it's not for sale. I've spent 1/2 my life in this vehicle.
DG

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Length of ownership these days is more of a effect of easy cheap auto loans. My parents kept cars 15-18 yrs when I was a kid and those vehicles were complete garbage by todays manufacturing quality standards. Thats when interest rates hit 18+% and car loans were basically non existent.

T-Willy

Original owner (family rig) - 1992 80 - 27 years, more than half my life. It's now a dedicated pop-top dirt tourer, still dead reliable and capable. Should it ever die, I'll get a another Land Cruiser - the second and last in my life.

Explorerinil

Observer
Length of ownership these days is more of a effect of easy cheap auto loans. My parents kept cars 15-18 yrs when I was a kid and those vehicles were complete garbage by todays manufacturing quality standardsy . Thats when interest rates hit 18+% and car loans were basically non existent.
So did my folks, now it’s so easy to constantly buy new.

Frisman

Observer
97 2nd owner. bought it 17yrs ago. Went from family truck to family Camping/fishing. It is my baby and I will not sell it. Ever! 210,000 miles.

MOAK

Adventurer
I was a bit late to the party, however, I've had my 80 going on 7 years. I'm the 3rd owner but the 2nd owner doesn't really count as he just turned it over quickly. I've put 100k miles on it and will keep this vehicle forever. My only regret is that I didn't buy a new one back in 96 as I went through 2 jeeps to get here, to the party.

CSG

Explorer
Buying new cars so often is why so many Americans live paycheck to paycheck and are, effectively, broke. I bought my '02 LX used in 2009 with miles in the mid 60k's for about $23k cash. That was about the price of a new well equipped Camry or Accord then. I have put another 60k miles on it in the ten years I've owned it and have no intention of selling it. At my age, it *could* end up being my last rig (well, I'd love to get an old sports car one more time. ;)). Other than replacing the Big O AT tires about 5k miles ago with KO2s and removing the running boards the first week I got it, it's stock. And other than maintenance (did the timing chain at 90k), the only repair for something broken was the auto antenna. That cost me about $150 to replace. Solid, reliable, and amazing off-road and in winter.

31899172237_a340a184f3_k.jpg

pnwcruiser

PNWCRUISER
I own the iconic 80 series ('96) and a Toyota 4Runner V8 ('05) which is a 120 series Land Cruiser Prado in 'merican shell form. Love both, won't sell them. It's my second '96 Land Cruiser. I absolutely love these things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior