No refrigeration needed

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Canned Chicken, no refrigeration necessary
049C2018-341C-4B0D-9E8B-D31DC2AC7A66.jpeg
One thing about camping…it often somehow can greatly increase one’s sense of hunger, actually encouraging the intrepid adventurer to try/eat some strange foods never before deemed worthy or enticing. This is one example.

I bought a couple cans of ‘whole, canned chicken’ for one outing with limited fridge space, and actually heartily enjoyed consuming the salty, fall off the bones, tender, loose, naturally marinated meat! The visuals didn’t help tho.

Still, for us carnivores there’s something deep in our lizard brains that makes it wonderfully reminiscent to wake up our Neanderthal DNA by smearing animal juices on our faces while using our canines to rip meat off the fractured small bones of decaying carcasses.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
View attachment 743394
One thing about camping…it often somehow can greatly increase one’s sense of hunger, actually encouraging the intrepid adventurer to try/eat some strange foods never before deemed worthy or enticing. This is one example.

I bought a couple cans of ‘whole, canned chicken’ for one outing with limited fridge space, and actually heartily enjoyed consuming the salty, fall off the bones, tender, loose, naturally marinated meat! The visuals didn’t help tho.

Still, for us carnivores there’s something deep in our lizard brains that makes it wonderfully reminiscent to wake up our by smearing animal juices on our faces while using our canines to rip meat off the fractured small bones of decaying carcasses.
Well the hell are you googling today? You keep posting up weird canned goods...

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

A tad off topic, but related;

Have a son who lives in Ft. Worth, they had that freeze last winter and didn't have power thanks to the genius grid planners in Texas. Called him and he was at his outdoor kitchen by the pool. He was complaining he had a hundred pounds of beef he had to cook up because he lost electricity. I asked why he was cooking it all??? Because the freezer is off without electricity and he wasn't going to lose all that beef!

I asked him how cold was it? About 20 degrees! So, I asked.....why don't you just put the beef outside and keep it frozen until the electricity comes back on?

There was dead silence on the phone. Then, being on speaker phone, I could hear my granddaughter laughing. :oops: :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You don't always need a fridge!

trae

Adventurer
View attachment 743394

Still, for us carnivores there’s something deep in our lizard brains that makes it wonderfully reminiscent to wake up our Neanderthal DNA by smearing animal juices on our faces while using our canines to rip meat off the fractured small bones of decaying carcasses.

That does look a little bit questionable. I bet a couple of minutes on top of nice coals would make it much more appetizing.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Last mentioned about ten years ago here, so it’s time to bring this wonderful, no need to icebox it, versatile travel meat back to our attention. I can understand the renewed popularity, but “pumpkin spice flavored” Spam? Lord help us!

2AA4B076-0D40-4D59-A368-7D69DE61F960.jpeg

“ Spam is cool again.

The 85-year-old canned block of meat has undergone a cultural reinvention.

Hormel (HRL) has sold a record amount of Spam for seven straight years, and 2022 is on pace for another such milestone. The conglomerate behind Skippy and Jennie-O turkey says it can’t make Spam fast enough and is increasing production capacity.

Spam is a trending ingredient on TikTok and on the menu at fine-dining restaurants in coastal cities. In 2019, a limited-edition Spam pumpkin spice flavor sold out in minutes. (You can still buy it on Ebay, where it goes for up to $100 per can.)”

pith helmet

View attachment 743394

We can wild game in mason jars. It’s great to have venison ready to eat. But it looks unappetizing behind the glass, like a lab specimen.
5D7C1D22-F6E8-4AE3-B57A-346285A8A8DD.jpeg

billiebob

Given this thread is 11 years old and the massive improvement in solar powered electric refrigeration, I'd just add a 20L fridge, 60watt solar on the roof, or hood, a small second battery and charge controller and travel with fresh veg, fruit, meat and dairy.

I'm still experimenting but my refrigeration has been running steady for 3 months. A constant 35 degrees, and totally off grid independent of the vehicle.

After maybe a $1K investment in hardware..........

ZERO REFRIGERATION OPERATING COSTS.

Why not enjoy eating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior