North Pole expedition for charity

articulate

Expedition Leader
A 15 year-old kid in Scotland is raising money for Wellchild by doing a North Pole expedition. Check it out here.

They left last Monday, and are doing it in a 10-day push. Presumably they've returned, or are returning, if the trek went well.

Jordan will make his way to the North Pole, alongside six other travellers, by Nordic-style uphill skiing.

He will also have to drag an 80kg sledge some 70 miles in heavy snow for nine hours a day.

Temperatures could be as low as -40C, while ice ridges and polar bears could present further dangers.

But the schoolboy is philosophical. "You can't do anything about the temperatures, you just have to face it," he said.

Right now, that's all the information I can find. Cool stuff.

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
That is very cool, good for him:clapsmile . I wish my 15yr old son would get out and do something like this. It is always nice seeing people doing stuff like this to help better other peoples lives.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Oops. I forgot to include the boy's name, Jordan Maguire.

I'm really interested to see how the expedition went. In this "dim mass of humanity" known as journalists, we won't hear about a successful trip. Someone has to saw an arm off or eat his teammates legs in order for the actual trip to be newsworthy.

Anyway, thumbs up for Jordan.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
articulate said:
Oops. I forgot to include the boy's name, Jordan Maguire.

Anyway, thumbs up for Jordan.

I sure he has to have a website out there somewhere....

Now we just have to find it.

Great link Mark!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Success!!!

They say Jordan is now the youngest to ever have walked to the North Pole:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/06/uk_jordan_maguire_in_the_arctic/html/10.stm

Check him out!!!!!:
10.jpg

Follow-up article is here:
http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/60811.html

What a great kid. The world is in good hands....

Mark

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Well Done!

Not many 15-year-olds - or, heck, 50-year-olds - who have a snapshot like that in their photo album, or an accomplishment like that on their resume.

Thanks for updating the story, Mark.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
What a dude - and what a great joy it is to know there are young people out there who not only still dream of adventure, but actually do it.

We'll have to watch for him in the future!

You're right, Mark - the world is in good hands, indeed.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
That is so cool that he made it, and he did it for a good cause as well. Thanks Mark for following up with this. He should be an inspiration for young people the world over. I have to show this link to my 15yr old.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Most excellent. I like this quote from the Herald article...

"I've had all kinds of congratulations from my classmates, but I am definitely sad to be back. I'd rather be up there in the Arctic."

LOL - you know he can't wait to be out of that school and on to full time adventure junkie status :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior