NorthstarTC650-n-Tundra

zidaro

Explorer
took a lil 3 week trip into deep Baja Norte.
Fun, lots of fun
~1000 miles in Baja, 400+ were on dirt trail

fullsizeoutput_6e2f_zpswftaze3d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6e50_zpsgyrgcaev.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_7103_zpsaqdfdpju.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6ed0_zpscr9jucdd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6efa_zps4o1efkdp.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f4d_zpscyy8ud9f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6f83_zpsvppf31wk.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_702c_zps262qrn2f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_70b0_zpsl0lqwp7y.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_70a6_zpswggdrpkv.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_70c1_zpseudotk5p.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_70d5_zps5ud01z3c.jpeg

kerry

Expedition Leader
Great pictures. Got a question about your rack system. What is it? How are those long rails attached to the roof and how do the racks attach to those rails? Are the rails thru bolted? When I had my Northstar TS 1000 roof apart for repairs I learned that the solid material stopped back from the edge and there was styrofoam to make the curved edge. I thru bolted Yakima gutter mounts on the sides of the roof and I've been relatively happy with it (4 cross bars) but I think the adjustability of your rails would be desireable. I typically carry canoes or kayaks up there. You may be able to see my system in this photo.100_1427.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Great pictures. Got a question about your rack system. What is it? How are those long rails attached to the roof and how do the racks attach to those rails? Are the rails thru bolted? When I had my Northstar TS 1000 roof apart for repairs I learned that the solid material stopped back from the edge and there was styrofoam to make the curved edge. I thru bolted Yakima gutter mounts on the sides of the roof and I've been relatively happy with it (4 cross bars) but I think the adjustability of your rails would be desireable. I typically carry canoes or kayaks up there. You may be able to see my system in this photo.View attachment 438972

Nice ride! love the service bed. Looks like you are sitting at the Tioga gate?

my rack-
d8905e74.jpg

I contacted Northstar and they were able to send me a PDF of the roof cap. mine is an 05 and has a full sheetmetal bullnose over the transition along the edge. Hopefully ;) 3" deep into the top. So i screwed into that. used sheet screws #10? 1"L. Lots of them. and Dicor sealant to bond it like hell.

uses the Macstiedowns versatie tracks. A-track i think is its common name
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/p...ace-mount-wide-contour-series3/VersaTie-Track

i used their threaded stud connector and washers/lock nut to attach my crossbars
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/m10-threaded-stud/VersaTie-Fittings

1x1-1/2 0.12wall square alum. tubing for the crossbars. basically matches the Thule racks so i can use my attachments (ski/bike/paddle).

It does flex a little in the middle so i pad the bar with surf pads where it may contact the roof. But feel confident and have beat it on many rough trails with + #150 on the roof. Lifting it is another story, and is a 2 person job when its loaded!!

kerry

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I think that picture was taken on Conejos Pass if I'm not mistaken. Interesting that yours has that sheet metal bullnose. Mine has metal 90 degree angle pieces periodically to connect the sides to the top but nothing over the styrofoam that I could see. I definitely like the versatility of your rack but mind has to be higher due to the curved sheerline of most canoes when they are turned upside down. Even though my crossbars are about 4-5" above the roof I have to place some canoes carefully or the tip of the bow will ride on the roof surface. It's why I have 4 crossbars--so I can get both solo and tandem canoes placed and tied without hitting the roof surface. I could probably get away with three. The rear most rack has a piece of 2" abs pipe over it to make it slippery so I can easily push canoes up on to it. Do you have a crank mechanism for your roof? I modified a sailboat winch handle, installing the Heco gear head in it so I could get more leverage than the original short handle provides. I can crank my roof up easily by myself with 180-200lbs of boats on it.

zidaro

Explorer
Thanks. I think that picture was taken on Conejos Pass if I'm not mistaken. Interesting that yours has that sheet metal bullnose. Mine has metal 90 degree angle pieces periodically to connect the sides to the top but nothing over the styrofoam that I could see. I definitely like the versatility of your rack but mind has to be higher due to the curved sheerline of most canoes when they are turned upside down. Even though my crossbars are about 4-5" above the roof I have to place some canoes carefully or the tip of the bow will ride on the roof surface. It's why I have 4 crossbars--so I can get both solo and tandem canoes placed and tied without hitting the roof surface. I could probably get away with three. The rear most rack has a piece of 2" abs pipe over it to make it slippery so I can easily push canoes up on to it. Do you have a crank mechanism for your roof? I modified a sailboat winch handle, installing the Heco gear head in it so I could get more leverage than the original short handle provides. I can crank my roof up easily by myself with 180-200lbs of boats on it.

i also do have 3 bars on when i have boards up there.
I "can" crank it solo, but just seems like it is a lot of strain on the mechanism, so i like a second set lifting on the ceiling.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Looks great... We have a MC600, slightly smaller and lighter than yours, but that suits my 2003 Tundra well. Thanks for detailing your rack system, something I have not tackled yet.

zenfire

Just receiving my truck/northstar May 22. 23,000 actual miles on 2012 Chevy 1500 4x4 Z71. TC650 camper like new. Will look into airbags and torklift stableloads, as well as a leveling lift for front. Anyone have experience with the adjustable lower stableloads? Any suggestions on 2 or 2.5 or 3 or 3.5" level? With or without rear lift? And some beefy 33's for 17" rims? I'm like you zidaro, in that I drive long highway, and search for every gravel or rutted scenic route. Especially Burr Trail, Valley of the Gods, Hell's Backbone, Alpine Loops, Ophir Pass... I'm in Los Angeles, Aspen, Jackson, and Sierra, capturing all the Utah and Wyoming and Montana and Colorado trails in and out of the areas. Nice rigs All!

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
Added a much needed accessory for an upcoming trip to Baja

started out by securely attaching some cutdown rails identical to my Prinsu Rack on my T4R. Used #12 1/4" hardware. 3M 5000 sealant. Extruded Alum. pieces are from T-nuts. 1x2 10series. takes 1/4x20 hardware

fullsizeoutput_71ea_zpsnrsxmzcp.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_71eb_zpsovcucaje.jpeg

then, using the Frontrunner awning brackets, which fit the extruded alum rails perfectly, i attached the awning to the wall.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...NYODsM4IUyQwi0PCjfehoaed_o65EWqhoCvAMQAvD_BwE

fullsizeoutput_71ee_zpsojtuedlq.jpeg

Came ut great, seems to be very secure. Im a gonna test it out!!!!!
EASY deploy and packup! Puts a large shadow out. The awning is heavy, feels like 40#. This is the 2500 version (8'x8').
It removes easily once set up. will use it on the T4R as well, attached with same brackets so hopefully it will have some dual use.

fullsizeoutput_71ed_zpsipo6ir3a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_71ec_zps6jnppzbj.jpeg

I added timbrens on my titan. they help but I am looking into an airbag system now. good luck keep us posted. the awning mod looks awesome!
e35b79938aa57e271bf00abb1723ed30.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My Dometic awning mounted on the horizontal panel on the roof passenger side.
Dometic supplied a couple of plastic receivers on the body. for the legs. Worked pretty wheel.

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
fullsizeoutput_73fc_zps9lvm0hcb.jpeg

another epic hot lap thru Baja!! This time we spent almost 3 weeks. Target was some touring along the top of Baja Sur. Couple BIG Highway days to travel the distances- there and back, but mostly toured dirt trail. Camping everywhere. Total mileage in Baja was 1500, atleast half of that on dirt. So fun.
Started just after July 4th weekend crossing in at Mexicali early, had some tacos in San Felipe and headed south on the 5 till sunset.

fullsizeoutput_7222_zpskhnqnk8q.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_73fb_zpswl9lnzq4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_721e_zpsoxf6wwyw.jpeg

Next day we pressed on South past Guerrero Negro to the Pacific coastline, following it to Laguna de San Ignacio.

fullsizeoutput_73fd_zpshgtmowmh.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_722a_zpsd1zownhx.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7223_zpsapxwu2py.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7225_zpshw6t91sc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7403_zpsikrservq.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_73ff_zps1dq728ej.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_740a_zps7lonevww.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_73fe_zpsktsqbnbx.jpeg

Then to San Jaunico, stayed there for a week :)

More pics to come!!

zidaro

Explorer
July Baja Cont.

San Juanico is a ************ surf zone. Took the Salt Flats road in from San Ignacio. Good times, tried to get out on the dunes North of, it is damn near impossible in a full size!! Lets leave it at that.
Lots of families staying in town that come down and surf camp everyday, big point to camp and surf along. Plenty of Gringos!
Sweet waves all day, every day.
We ended up staying dang near a week cuz it was so fun!

fullsizeoutput_72e8_zpstisy9tut.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7275_zpsir4zqfrc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_729f_zpsfxzptd7r.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_727b_zpsf6xdbnvo.jpeg

daughter stole my longboard, so i SUP surfed whole time.

fullsizeoutput_72c1_zpsqu1zxdqo.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_72f8_zps8uivkkkd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7300_zpsm1p3itlg.jpeg

ARB awning was KEY!!!!
other activities include buggies and bikes along the beach to South, frisbee, drinking, tacos!

fullsizeoutput_7259_zpsocdvassp.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_72df_zpst3ymhqbm.jpeg

Pulled out days later, heading South along the coast as far as the beach would let us. Plan was to cross peninsula into Bahia Conception region!

fullsizeoutput_732e_zpswbsjffiu.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_732f_zpssbjqq6jb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7339_zpsqxempby9.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles