Northwards to Inuvik, Oct-Nov 2007

paulj

Expedition Leader
On matter like this, the patterns for the past is the best guide to the near future. The Yukon web site has a table listing opening and closing dates for the ferry and ice bridge for the past years. From that you can judge for yourself whether your planned date is feasible.

I haven't looked at the table recently, but off hand I'd say there is a good chance you would not be able to complete your planned trip with a late October date.

Regardless of climate trends, weather will vary from one season to the next. A couple of years ago weather was mild enough that they couldn't transport all the scheduled cargo on the ice road from Yellowknife to the diamond minds. This past year was cold enough to complete the task. Still a snow plow did go through some soft ice on another river (Liard). Check the Ice Roads thread.

paulj

Quixote

Observer
paulj said:
On matter like this, the patterns for the past is the best guide to the near future. The Yukon web site has a table listing opening and closing dates for the ferry and ice bridge for the past years. From that you can judge for yourself whether your planned date is feasible.

I haven't looked at the table recently, but off hand I'd say there is a good chance you would not be able to complete your planned trip with a late October date.

Regardless of climate trends, weather will vary from one season to the next. A couple of years ago weather was mild enough that they couldn't transport all the scheduled cargo on the ice road from Yellowknife to the diamond minds. This past year was cold enough to complete the task. Still a snow plow did go through some soft ice on another river (Liard). Check the Ice Roads thread.

paulj

Thanks for the tip! I found the table - I have attached it to the thread for future reference. So the average ferry closure is almost to the day when we are scheduled to arrive :eek:

What to do what to do - we'll either keep the plan as and take a chance or perhaps postpone to winter when the ice road forms and drive all the way to Tuktoyaktuk. The main deterrent is that we'll be driving in almost total darkness as we'll have to postpone till late December or early January.

Not fun - driving in the dark! No pictures, views, etc.

Scott Brady

Founder
Yes, October is during freeze up. We were there in March/April and actually drove the length of the Peel River, over 120 miles from Aklavic to Fort McPherson

Beautiful area!

You will not be in total darkness. The Aurora will great you with quite a show!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz