Once the camper box was installed on the support frame, I drilled 18 Ø13 holes and fixed the box to the frame with M12x100 bolts. The holes through the floor plate was measured up and drilled so that the holes were drilled through the wood reinforcements, which are casted into the sandwich. This should assure that there is a very solid connection between the camper box and the support frame. The wood reinforcements inside the floor plate will also help to distribute the forces and tensions to the whole floor plate.
This was quite a milestone for us, and so far we are very happy with the result. It seems that I managed to get the lines correct so that we have more or less the same horizontal lines on the camper box as on the side doors of the Unimog (It’s not horizontal when the truck is parked level, but slightly tilted forward).
After the installation of the camper box I took the truck for a 50 km test run, to see how the 3-point fixing of the support frame was behaving now when there was a bit more weight on top of it. Mainly I drove on tarmac roads, but also some kilometers on washed out gravel roads. The result was very satisfying. No drama what so ever, it didn’t feel top heavy at all, camper felt very solid without any noticeable flexing. The 3-piont fixing of the support frame also seemed to do its job.
Next up now will be fabricating the entrance door and fenders for rear wheels. -To be continued!
518.3 KB Views: 71