Norwegian Unimog U1700L camper build

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Then it was time for the annual EU-inspection which is mandatory for trucks with a weight of more than 3500kg here in Norway. Long story made short – a lot of money spent; had to replace the following parts to get it through the inspection…:
- Brake discs on all four wheels
- Brake pads on all four wheels
- Overhaul 4 out of 6 calipers with new pistons and gaskets
- Replace the big spring for the rear axle on the right side
- Complete overhaul of front shaft with new bearings and gaskets in the portal gears and for the king pins.
- Replace some air valves for the brake system
- Replace the front headlights which had broken reflectors

Needless to say, we were a bit depressed. Thus not many pictures where taken during this process. But I do have pictures from the temporary rear fenders which we had to install, later on these will be replaced with storage boxes which also will act as wheel fenders for the rear axle. The truck is now road legal for one more year, and hopefully the EU-inspection will run a lot smoother!

DSC_8134JPG[1].jpg DSC_8132JPG[1].jpg

When the truck was in at the local MB dealer for the Inspection this beautiful German Unimog camper made by Voxformat showed up by totally random! – What are the odds!? They had a leaking seal in one of their portal gears, but after a couple of hours in the workshop, and a new seal, it was ready to go again. The owners were very friendly and after the EU-inspection where done they came along back to our farm where we were able to have a more thorough look at all of the different solutions they had installed. It was really nice to talk to somebody face to face who had a similar type of camper, and to compare the trucks side by side:)

DSC_8215JPG[1].jpg DSC_8216JPG[1].jpg

DSC_8217JPG[1].jpg DSC_8220JPG[1].jpg

DSC_8225JPG[1].jpg

Last edited:

Vegard_S

Adventurer
After the whole EU-inspection process it was time for short brake from working on the truck, and we focused our energy and money on the restauration of the newly bought house.

But since the truck now was road legal, and the camper box was starting to get more and more complete on the outside, we decided it was time to take it for an early test trip, although we still didn’t have any interior fitted. So we packed the sleeping bag and a temporary mattress to lay directly on the floor of the camper box, some basic camping equipment, and then set off to visit some family members living 700km away. The trip went very smoothly without any sort of drama. The engine feels powerful, and the brakes are superb!

DSC_8373JPG[1].jpg DSC_8459JPG[1].jpg

DSC_8460JPG[1].jpg DSC_8465JPG[1].jpg

DSC_8476JPG[1].jpg DSC_8500JPG[1].jpg

DSC_8510JPG[1].jpg DSC_8511JPG[1].jpg

DSC_8512JPG[1].jpg DSC_8513JPG[1].jpg

Vegard_S

Adventurer
DSC_8514JPG[1].jpg DSC_8517JPG[1].jpg

DSC_8518JPG[1].jpg DSC_8521JPG[1].jpg

DSC_8522JPG[1].jpg DSC_8523JPG[1].jpg

Next on the list will be to fit the interior, still missing some parts here, but our storage room is step by step getting fuller and fuller with parts that will be needed to finish the interior. Hopefully we will find the time and money to have it ready for some sort of a more extended test trip next summer whit a fully functioning, although not necessary 100 % completed, interior.
To be continued:)

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Looks great, it is worth getting the right components for your build, then you won't have to build it again in the future.

Thanks Ian, I believe it is a good philosphy to follow, but I am afraid it will be har for me to mach the standard you have set on your camper build! If I manage to get somewhere close to the build quality and level of detail you have put into your build, I believe we will have a very sturdy and good looking camper:)

mhatakka

Nice work! The windows seem very promising, with solid mechanism and cold-bridge-free construction.

Speaking of cold-bridges, how about the entrance door and frame with all-round aluminum? Wouldn't that be a heavy condensation issue in cold climates?

Markus

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Speaking of cold-bridges, how about the entrance door and frame with all-round aluminum? Wouldn't that be a heavy condensation issue in cold climates?

Thats true, we expect this to be the worst condensation points on the whole camper box. But it was choosen to be done like this to have a very durable and stiff frame for the door, since the big cut-out for the door is weakening the stiffness in the side wall quite a lot in this area. We could have used fibre glass profiles insted, but I didn't have any more left, so we just went with alu-profiles since they were easier to obtain.
Just inside the entrance door we will have the bathroom with shower area, so possible condensation here, shall at least not be able to cause any damages to the interior.
To prevent the worst condensation we will also experiment a bit with differnet types of paint for the parts of the alu-profiles which are facing inwards. But time will tell if this will have any effect at all.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Beautiful build! When I was living in Germany I was always afraid of the inspections... as it always mend $$$$$$. Totally different here in Canada :)
I met with Papst Airtec last spring. Beautiful windows indeed, very well built. A couple days later I visited Voxformat, now called EQ-Line. Truely impressive shop and trucks. Our Office in Germany helped them set up their own panel production.
Keep this pictures coming!

Vegard_S

Adventurer
How are things going With Your Mog Vegard?

Sad to say that not too much have happened to the mog for the last year. As I mentioned earlier we bought an old house last spring. So most of our spare time and savings have gone in to the restauration of this.. Still a lot to do, but hopefully we can move into it sometime this autumn.

20180317_161657[1].jpg

20180328_072959[1].jpg
20180331_150651[1].jpg
20180429_090154[1].jpg
20180512_184853[1].jpg

So to the mog; what has happened since last time?:
  • Finished making the outside storage hatches for the under-bed storage compartment.
  • Installed the last missing fiber glass corner profiles inside the camper box.
  • Replaced a leaking simmer-ring and o-ring on the rear left portal hub.
  • Managed to get it through a new annual EU-inspection (Yeay!:))
  • Bought a brand new Truma Combi D6E heater (expensive..) for heating of water and inside air in the camper.
  • Bought 2 FASP 502 folding bench seats (which can be turned into a second bed) for the camper. They came complete with fixing base and approved seatbelts.
  • Bought the watertanks, level gauges ++ which will go in the camper.
  • Got a nice oak table from an old smashed caravan which will be installed between the FASP seats.
  • Bought a Waeco RVS780X reversing camera, burt still need to install it.
  • Bought an engine blanket and full cab insulation kit from Atkinson VOS. (Only half finnished with the installation, but so far the difference in cab noice is well noticable!)
  • Bought and collected various small components which will be needed for making of the camper interior
So the next on now will be to get the last missing parts before the interior work in the camper can start. The (revised) goal now is to have the camper fully operational for the summer of 2019, and then take it for some test trips around Europe. Then on the plan is to start prepping for the big Asia trip in 2020.

20180512_120106.jpg20180512_120116.jpg
20180512_144404.jpg20180512_145730.jpg20180512_171804.jpg

Vegard_S

Adventurer
Also..
My thrusty old Geländewagen was starting to show some serious signs of the age (1981) and high mileage (aprox. 850 000km). So we decided to give it an overhaul. Replaced a lot of the steel body and gave it a new coat of paint both in- and outside. And since the wife got to choose… RAL 5024; Pastel Blue:
20180707_213755.jpg
20180707_213650.jpg20180609_122348.jpg
20180706_205407.jpg

Jostt

Adventurer
Nice pics, It is Nice to see how other people share the same ideas than you...I also start at the begining whit 4 wheel drive as a motorhome, like you, and after the Unimog, your country is a place I have as a dream to visit, but I can imagine that's just posible in sumer to really enjoy the Nice places, I have this winter the plan ready , I Will go nord África , but as soon as late I Will go Norway , but first I need to test the Unimog as well , thanks to share the pics

jostein

Adventurer
Nice pics of the matching Mog and G there!
You have a lot going on, so there no wonder you need a little time to get ready:)

I am currently driving driving around on Iceland. Highly recommended:cool:
DSC_0133.JPG
The Vario has behaved well so far, crossing around 15 rivers on its way:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles