Not So Modest 2000 (Gen 2.5) Montero Build

brad2274

Adventurer
love the new rear rack design! i might try something similar, id also love to see you attempt rear tail gaurds

zerodrift

Adventurer
love the new rear rack design! i might try something similar, id also love to see you attempt rear tail gaurds
Thanks! It has been a great addition so far and I'm very pleased with the additional functionality. At this point, I've only a few minor things that I'll likely change on it down the road.

Before the snow started up, I was able to tend to a few small projects this morning. First up was to install the AirLift air assist springs into the rear shocks. The install was simple and with a lunch break, took less than two hours. The schrader valves were mounted on a stainless steel plate that is sandwiched under the pintle hitch mount. I opted to keep the sides separated as it would simplify any future troubleshooting. Overall I'm pleased with how well this turned out and will report back on the system after it gets some actual use.

While the rear of the car was in the air, I installed a set of rear mud flaps. I picked up a cheap set of universal rubber mudflaps from Ebay. Link here: <<<LINK>>> For the price, I figured it'd be worth any potential fiddling. Using the factory mud flap mounting points, I installed M6 threaded nutserts after enlarging the holes slightly. With a fine point permanent marker I transferred the hole locations to the rubber flaps and after drilling the holes- simply bolted the mudflaps on. The passenger side was slightly different and I took another cheap plastic mudflap I had laying around and installed in a similar fashion. So far the rear setup was fairly easy and I'll have to install the front another day.

One other update to make regarding my LED hedlight retrofit. The lights most certainly do ice over and I've had to rely upon the headlight washers during the last few major snowstorms. Currently trying out some RainX water repellent spray to see if that helps any. As its currently snowing, perhaps I can report back on that in the next few days.

Attachments

brad2274

Adventurer
Are you able to swap halogen/HID bulbs into the projectors? i was going to use LEDs as well on my truck but then heard of others having ice issues, and i have no washers

zerodrift

Adventurer
Are you able to swap halogen/HID bulbs into the projectors? i was going to use LEDs as well on my truck but then heard of others having ice issues, and i have no washers
The units I picked up are strictly LED. Its a completed assembly from Koito and it is essentially a non-serviceable unit. It works ok for light to medium snowfall, but snow starts to stick when its wet and dense. Take a look at this post to see the entire light module: <<<Link 1 - My build thread>>> <<<Link 2 - LED at The Retrofit Source>>>

Tjtalan

Just went through the thread in it’s entirety. Great work, lots of inspiration for my build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zerodrift

Adventurer
Just went through the thread in it’s entirety. Great work, lots of inspiration for my build.

Thanks- its been a little challenging, but its been a really good vehicle and the wife and I are always surprised with it's capabilities. I also commute in the vehicle and its quite comfortable- though it won't fit in the parking garage when I get around to making the roof rack. Feel free to ask questions if you have any. I'm looking forward to your build!

Tjtalan

Thanks- its been a little challenging, but its been a really good vehicle and the wife and I are always surprised with it's capabilities. I also commute in the vehicle and its quite comfortable- though it won't fit in the parking garage when I get around to making the roof rack. Feel free to ask questions if you have any. I'm looking forward to your build!
I had the same issue with my Disco, once the rack was installed it couldn’t fit anywhere haha. I will definitely take you up on some advice in the future.

roncry

Finally finished up a few small projects. Installed the rear panhard bar from Adventure Driven Design as well as their 1" rear heavy duty springs. Install was straight forward in the springs- especially thanks to this quick tutorial video.

While there I installed their longer rear brake line and a fresh new longer breather hose to aid with the rear articulation. Installing the brake line was a small with some penetrant spray and two rounds of heat (spray, heat, spray, heat and one last round of spray). Bled all the brakes and noticed the front drivers side caliper was rather loose on the slides- so that will need attention here soon.

I also finished painting the front two wheels silver! Been on my to do list for too long. The project list is getting short!

I've also been trying out these Corbeau GTS-II seats for a while and they are fairly comfortable- but a little too stiff for the wife- so they are for sale if anyone is interested.
Please tell me - what is the exact model of the seats and the seat bracket installed - i love those!

zerodrift

Adventurer
Its a tight fit, but it works! The filter needs to have two pleats removed and of course, you will need to trim the lower grill supports on the hvac recirculation covers as seen in the pictures.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
A quick update on the cabin filter. Replaced the unit today and it sure worked well!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk