Not sure where to post this...SO! buying a new truck. Thoughts?

jadmt

ignore button user
bumpers can be replaced. I think AEV is doing some ZR2 stuff. I was jonsing for one and ended up getting a new wrangler instead and some times I still kick myself. I would test drive them both as the gas has more giddy up and not like it is going to be much of a tow vehicle.

jadmt

ignore button user
if it were me I would still get the zr2 even if I did not like the bumper but if not that the trd pro or a base F250 single cab long box for the same money.

docwatson

Adventurer
I don't know what you would get with the Tacoma or Colorado from a practicality standpoint the Frontier doesn't have, especially if its 6k cheaper. If its a brand loyalty or preference thing I get it but lets all not kid ourselves to thinking they are drastically different vehicles. They are meant to be similar and 6k is a lot of dough.

The Tacoma and Frontier have selectable lockers in the styles you listed. The Z71 is the G80 "locker" which gets mixed reviews. I also agree that the Frontier is somewhat "dated" but what does that really mean? Tried and true? Tested? Has knobs and buttons?

Last edited:

autism family travels

Personally I'd go with whichever one you can get the best deal on. I've looked at/driven all 3 and I can't see paying that much money for any of those trucks when you can buy a full size for the same price.

Some of us don't want or NEED a full size truck. SIMPLE. I can pull off a Silverado for less than any of these. I don't want one. I want a smaller truck.

Doc, I am testing the frontier today. Nissan just put a dealership in my town and I have been waiting for them to put one on the lot. They have a the exact truck I would buy (besides the color). I am very much interested in the frontier. I need to drive it first.

autism family travels

Well, I have the Nissan in my driveway now. We will be buying one. The features, the ride, the comfort, the price. All are better than what I looked at from Toyota and Chev. The seats are much more comfortable than the brick shaped Colorado seats or the flat plywood styled seats of the taco. Suspension is more compliant in the Nissan than both the others, and the rear bed cargo system, the fact that the spray in bedliner is standard instead of an extra added expensive with the other two make the choice easy! thanks for the input everyone!

Congrats. Although I didn’t recommend the Frontier, I will agree with you that I really liked it’s overall ride characteristics best. I hope it works out for your needs and yes...post pics now and as you build it. ?

Jc1986.carter

Congrats. The Nissan community on here is pretty good. Did you end up with a auto or the manual transmission? Either way you will be happy with the truck.

Last edited:

plumber mike

Adventurer
Maybe hold off and see what the new ranger is all about. I’m not a good one to ask as I truly don’t understand the small truck thing. I just got a 2500 Ram with a diesel. I can pull 21 on the highway at 70mph and haul everything including the kitchen sink.
Best of luck. My wife had an 03 Xterra for a while. Very reliable but 17mpg was the best it ever got. She switched to a 5.3 Tahoe and says she’d never go back. Same 17mpg though.

rayra

Expedition Leader
"can't justify the diesel's higher maintenance costs" huh? Diesels in general are known for quite the opposite. Did they botch something in the Chevy design? Or are you counting the occasional jug of DEF as a burden?

I'm seriously asking, as that remark is so wildly divergent from historical reality that I really want to know the basis for it.

To the OP, seconding the remarks about the tiny bed, I started off in mini-trucks a long time ago and that was the chief issue in my off-roading / outdoor adventures. Could scarcely stuff a Honda 200X ATC in one. And any pair of bikes bigger than a 250 required the tailgate be down. Really learned how to creatively pack the cargo is such a small space.

autism family travels

As someone who only owns a Jeep Patriot now, the space in the frontier is down righ cavernous with a cap on it. We have ordered a pro 4x in white, auto (I hate rowing my vehicles around town). I will have all the goodies waiting to be installed. She’s about 2-3 months out since there are none in stock on the island. Gives me time to gather up the add ons. Arb bumper, some sort of suspension setup for higher speed fire road travel, and some sort of cap on the truck. 285s are a must too.

The increased costs with diesel is def every couple of months, and oil changes cost more for some reason. Anyways, stock for stock, the frontier is the best small truck. After driving the 3 main contenders back to back, the fronty is the most comfortable, and way cheaper than, the others.

D

Deleted member 9101

I am currently truck shopping. I want a small truck, I am buying new and I am down to picking the truck I want.

I am looking at the following

Tacoma TRD off road 4 door short box
Colorado z71 4 door short box diesel
Nissan frontier Pro 4x 4 door short box

I am leaning towards the Colorado but I have not put any money down on any yet.

Would like the input of the inmates here!
I was looking at the same trucks last November. Ended up getting an F150 for the same price...and getting muuuch more truck.

D

Deleted member 9101

Short boxes are dumb. You can't even sleep in them. What are you going to do, haul 4'x4' sheets of plywood? I don't get it.
Ya know... very few people sleep in their trucks these days...lol.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
"can't justify the diesel's higher maintenance costs" huh? Diesels in general are known for quite the opposite. Did they botch something in the Chevy design? Or are you counting the occasional jug of DEF as a burden?
I'm seriously asking, as that remark is so wildly divergent from historical reality that I really want to know the basis for it.
I'm basing that statement on additional fuel filters, more frequent oil/filter changes with synthetics, DEF and the previously mentioned regen cycles due to my typical driving. Should have also included the higher initial purchase and fuel (in my area) cost as that was a contributing factor to my decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94