Novice Trailer Build

Garet89

Hey guys first time trailer builder here. Would love it if some experts could weigh in and answer some how-to questions for me!

I'm currently building a trailer to pull behind my 79' CJ5 after i complete an entire frame off restoration on it. That won't be for a few years so in the mean time I'd like to complete it for RAGBRAI this July. The goal is to create a DIY rtt attached to the lid. I'm on a budget so I have been researching the cheapest way to go about making it.

Here is how my trailer began.
1.14A.jpg
I removed the wood floor and shortened the trailer by about 2 feet.
1.28B.png
A progress shot.
2.5A.png
Tread plate deck flooring installed and this is basically how she sits today.
2.11B.png
Appreciate you all allowing me into your little community here. Look forward to hearing from you!

tatanka48

NICE BEGINNING

you appear to be using stronger/heavier materials

i might caution you to start considering/adding up your anticipated cargo weight with an eye on the 2000# towed max for your Jeep along with a 200# max tongue weight

weight adds up quickly

T

Garet89

NICE BEGINNING

you appear to be using stronger/heavier materials

i might caution you to start considering/adding up your anticipated cargo weight with an eye on the 2000# towed max for your Jeep along with a 200# max tongue weight

weight adds up quickly

T
Thanks for mentioning that. I have been using scrap steel from work so I can't be too picky. The outer walls are 16ga while the support tubes are 2"x1" and the flooring is 12ga tread plate. I was able to secure 1"x1" tubing for my lid and will be topping it off with 16ga as well. Is there a chart you use that states the 2000# max for a jeep?

CampStewart

Observer
If you are doing a frame up on the CJ then beef up the frame and put bigger brakes on it,. Beef the brakes and frame and then the short wheelbase will be a weak link but if the brakes and frame are strong enough the wheelbase should not be a big deal as long as you use some caution driving on the street. Id put electric brakes on the trailer. Do you plan on keeping the stock dana 30 axles on the jeep?

Garet89

If you are doing a frame up on the CJ then beef up the frame and put bigger brakes on it,. Beef the brakes and frame and then the short wheelbase will be a weak link but if the brakes and frame are strong enough the wheelbase should not be a big deal as long as you use some caution driving on the street. Id put electric brakes on the trailer. Do you plan on keeping the stock dana 30 axles on the jeep?
I am keeping it as stock as possible (besides the 360) so the dana 30 and amc 20 are both on. Honestly, i'd rather build another/smaller trailer then deviate from my CJ5 build.
3CB9CF93-2DD8-4ED4-9D28-EEE41154048E_1540007716464.jpg

CampStewart

Observer
If you are keeping a fully stock amc 20 under the rear you must not be planning on pushing the jeep very hard. Put brakes on the trailer and don't give it a second thought.

Garet89

If you are keeping a fully stock amc 20 under the rear you must not be planning on pushing the jeep very hard. Put brakes on the trailer and don't give it a second thought.
Highway only. I'll have to look into what it will take to add brakes to the trailer. Appreciate the advice!

Garet89

Well I was able to add fenders and a lid from my last update. As a way to cut weight I switched to an aluminum tread plate for the lid. Even did a trial run with my CJ7. She pulls like a dream.

Garet89

I used a couple of 3" wide stainless steel hinges. As soon as I put them on I didn't like them so they are only temporary. My dad has access to a heavy duty piano hinge that i will be trying next.

CampStewart

Observer
I didn't notice this before but your axle/suspension is really boogered up. You have what apears to be a 4 inch dropped axle and then super long shackles to raise it back up. I would recommend buying a new straight axle with brakes and then shorten up the shackles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles