Now THAT'S a spring compressor . . .

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I finally installed the Old Man Emu suspension on Roseann's Tacoma yesterday, in preparation for also installing the ARB bumper and winch.

I borrowed a serious spring compressor from a mechanic friend:

springcompress1.jpg

I've only ever used the cheesy little threaded rod type with hooks before, and always felt like I was taking my life in my hands. This unit made the process effortless.

The truck rides great, if a bit stiff at the front without the bumper on it yet!

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Keep trying to view the post - we forgot that our website service provider is switching our main server today and tomorrow, and our website (www.jandrhanson.com, on which our photos are hosted) may be down intermittently. Sorry!

Roseann

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
We used to use a spring compressor when installing Tacoma OME setups, but found it was MUCH easier to remove the lower balljoint from the lower A-Arm. Simply place a jack under the A-Arm to compress the installed coil/strut enough to re-fasten the lower ball-joint and tighten the top strut stud nut...

Important to not that a spring compressor is still needed in the case of spacers (more than 15mm) and larger than OME 882's.\

Congrats on the OME setup, I have been absolutely thrilled with the setup on my Taco (OME 882's & OME 15's). :beer:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
That is the best type of compressor to use. I have used the threaded rods several times and always felt nervous. Putting it in a vice helps.

What spring set up did you go with.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I decided on the medium front springs and the N91S shocks, since I'm going to use synthetic winch line to keep the overall weight down. Judging from the way the truck rides right now it should work.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Jonathan Hanson said:
I've only ever used the cheesy little threaded rod type with hooks before, and always felt like I was taking my life in my hands.
Here, here! I figured I'd be labeled a chicken - or wuss or something - if I'd have admitted that. But I felt the same way with those suckers...there, I'm out of the closet. :eek:

Mark

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Spring compressors

Ditto on being real scared with the the cheesy little threaded rod type :eek: .
I went from this:
spring_compressors.jpg

To using a home made tool made up of a piece of 4" by 4" piece of steel, a few pieces of 3/4" square tube welded together and a 1/2" grade 8 bolt in a press. This worked great! :D
DSC02084.jpg

I've got the OME 881 with the N91sc shocks, at TJM T-17, dual batteries, Warn M8000 with synthetic line and fairlead with the truck sitting approximately 1.5 to 1.75" higher than stock. So far so good and I enjoy this set up.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
You guys are making this WAY too hard... especially with 881's :D

Forget the compressor, undo the bottom ball-joint (one cotter pin, one nut). Have your buddy stand on the A-arm while you insert the top of the coil spring into the mount, use a small prybar to line up the bottom of the "strut" with the mount on the A-Arm, insert the bolt and have your buddy let the arm up slowly. As the arm comes up, make sure the "strut" shaft is lining up correctly... 10 minutes per side ;)

EDIT, this works great with 880,881, & 882's. With spacers, taller coils... use a compressor :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles