NPR 4wd conversion and camper build thread.

I've completed the rear suspension at this point. Next I am redoing the ugly and scary front leaf spring mounts and installing a U bolt flip kit. I will also be incorporating the shock mounts into the upper U bolt plates and modifying the stock NPR shock towers to accept the rancho shocks.

The pics show the rear suspension at near maximum ride height as there is no weight on the chassis yet.





 
Recently I finished the leaf spring mounts and U bolt flip install. I reinstalled the axle to mock up the shocks and build shock mounts and limit strap brackets, then I will take it back apart to finish weld and paint it all. I also got a rear driveshaft made. It's starting to look like I might drive this thing this spring.







 
Thanks. Youre doing a great job! Really glad you came up with the supersteer piece. I could see something under RebelZilla but had no idea what it was, didnt know there was such an option to change push-pull.
 
WTF is going on with the frame in the second picture of post #138?

From the side, it appears that the frame has an outer skin that has separated, but from the top, it appears to still be attached?

Is that some of Ian's handy work or is that factory Isuzu? I have seen a lot of truck frames, but never one quite like that.

(maybe that is what you mean when you refer to repairing the clustered front spring hangars. However, that piece is red and the frame was red when Ian bought the truck)
 
Yes that is the factory front section. The full length frame rails end there and have that structure riveted to them. The steering box, cab and front leaf mounts all attach to that. Ian had welded some universal leaf spring hangers to the same place as my fabricated hangers that are shown. However the hangers he used weren't quite the right size plus I wanted to add a couple inches there to move the spring pack away from the steering components on the DS, so I redid them.



Thanks. Youre doing a great job! Really glad you came up with the supersteer piece. I could see something under RebelZilla but had no idea what it was, didnt know there was such an option to change push-pull.
Yeah I was pretty happy to find that piece. When I bought the truck Ian mentioned some freightliner steering component so I am pretty sure he was on to it already, just hadn't bought one yet.
 
I've got the front axle back in place with all new hangers and shackles as well as HD U bolts and spring plates. I wanted some more clearance to the steering parts and some more caster so I built in about 1.5" more height and a couple degrees caster. I added the lower shock mounts and limit strap tabs to the spring plates also. The rancho shocks come with a nice threaded 5/8" mounting pin so I used that for a nice clean bottom mount and modified the Isuzu upper mount to accept the ranchos. Next up I'll finish the upper shock mounts, then make a panhard bar and steering stabilizer mounts and I'll have a complete front suspension. I also just ordered 4.10 gears and a detroit truetrac for the rear end. So I'll be digging in to that soon.









 

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Glad to see the Crawler Hauler getting a new lease on life. I wondered what happened to it.

Didn't keep the airbags in the rear? Seems they would be ideal for a camper on the back.

Would be a cool build thread, but none of your older pictures are working. Upload them to the thread rather than hot link from an external source and they won't disappear.
 
Glad to see the Crawler Hauler getting a new lease on life. I wondered what happened to it.

Didn't keep the airbags in the rear? Seems they would be ideal for a camper on the back.

Would be a cool build thread, but none of your older pictures are working. Upload them to the thread rather than hot link from an external source and they won't disappear.
Thanks. The air beg setup left a bit to be desired so I got rid of it. Not for me. If you click the link in my signature, it will bring up the entire album.

I am in the shop today building my front shock upper mounts. I didn't like my first version that I made off of the factory Isuzu piece so I am making them completely from scratch now. The other day I finished rebuilding the rear axle and reinstalling most of the steering. Pretty soon I will have a roadworthy chassis. I'll have some plumbing and wiring to do first but it's not too far away from driving.