NPR 4wd conversion and camper build thread.

We do but it wasn't needed. This thing bled faster than anything I've ever bled. Once I get the new, larger master on there, I will see about driving it a bit. Still need to finish the front lights. The wiring is currently a bit hacked so I have to put new ends on the headlight wires, route and zip tie it all, fix some mounting tabs for the lights and fascia, then put it all back together. Also I need a seat to sit on.

Oh I'm sure I'll drive it with no seat. This cabover shape is already a seat really.... I have an old RX7 seat laying around that I may toss in there. Otherwise I have a customer who owns a salvage yard and he's been stockpiling nice seats. I am going to get out there soon to pick some.

I finally drove it the other day. First drive went well. I just drove up and down the block a few times but this thing is actually pretty quick as is. The front end seems a bit soft as I suspected. I'll be looking in to adding a leaf to the spring pack. Before I drive it again I am going to strap a bunch of weight on the back to simulate some of the camper weight at least. Anyway, I'm pretty excited over here.

Well.... I have redone nearly everything that they did previously but undoing their work hasn't been too big of a deal. Mostly just cut off and start over or salvage pieces here and there. Most of what they did was mockup work so most of the welds were tack welds or incomplete. It was definitely worth the purchase price. They gave me a great deal because of the work I did on Engine Power TV and it came with so much stuff that I didn't need, I came out ahead after selling parts. I would take the same deal again in a heartbeat.

I drove it a few weeks ago. Ran well and was not slow. Not fast either but.... Anyway I had to move it out today to get a customers 69 Mustang fastback on the chassis table so I took it out back and did a little flex test. Not too bad for now. It will improve with more load on the back and some improvements to the front suspension leaf pack.

In the last pic you can see how the subframe mounts allow the frame to droop away from the the subframe itself. I think they're binding a bit though. I need to open up the hole in the frame bracket for more clearance.

Hi javajoe79,

No intention to hijack your thread here, just curios to know how others are doing this conversion.

I am performing a similar conversion in Colombia, South America for a mining customer. We are experiencing a little bit of steering wander at speed when the trucks are fully loaded. Our caster is set a 2° positive (as per Isuzu NPS 4wd specs.) at the moment, will be testing the handling with 5° positive next week. How much caster are you running in your front axle?

Our conversions started with brand new 2018 NPRs (we are on our 6th conversion so far). Front axles and T-cases were sourced in asia. The front axle uses the same "push pull" type steering as used in the standard trucks, our T-case is divorce mounted and air shifted to avoid complicated linkages.

I am interested in your experience so far regarding the handling of the truck.

This is what our converted truck looks like. I hate the small tires, customer decision...
IMG_20180918_083948959.jpg

T-case mounted on the frame. Blue hoses are the air shifter supply hoses, there is one air actuator to control 2wd / 4wd, another one to select High / Low ranges.
P1000220.jpg

P1000235.jpg