NPR build

Bucket Boy

Chevy. The first try is going to be the stock j arm set up. If that doesn't work as planned I'll just use a single ended ram.

DzlToy

Explorer
Likely something such as this:

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motorsport-specific-products/offroad/full-hydraulic-steering

There are several companies offering hydraulic assist, i.e. you keep your factory steering box and linkage OR a full hydro steer conversion, i.e. only a tie rod or double ended ram, no physical connection via linkage or pitman arm to the steering box.

Trophy Trucks and Class One cars run FULL hydro steering at 140 MPH through the desert at WOT, so keep your "full hydro has no feeling and you will kill a bus load of nuns if you use it" comments to yourself, should you have them :D

javajoe79

Fabricator
Sure but your typical hydro steering kits are not good for on road use. You know that. The setup they use in trophy trucks probably isn't great on pavement either. I would love to give one a test drive though if you can arrange that. It may further your cause :) Also not DOT legal I believe. There must me a mechanical connection all the way to the wheel if I'm not mistaken.

DzlToy

Explorer
Sure but your typical hydro steering kits are not good for on road use. You know that. The setup they use in trophy trucks probably isn't great on pavement either. I would love to give one a test drive though if you can arrange that. It may further your cause :) Also not DOT legal I believe. There must me a mechanical connection all the way to the wheel if I'm not mistaken.

Old wives tale sir, there are plenty of modern cars with steer by wire, brake by wire and throttle by wire, none of which have any mechanical connection to those systems, whatsoever.

I see your point, but I do believe that a properly designed system would handle just fine on the road. I have driven full hydro steer buggies off road, telehandlers on and off road and numerous forklifts, all of which are full hydro. Something speed sensitive or adjustable by the user would help tremendously, possibly with an on road and off road setting?

I would call the TT shops and possibly PSC as well. POS was a great hydro steer kit, but Sean does not build them anymore and hasn't in years.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Steering is different. I could be wrong but I don't think anything out there yet has no mechanical connection in the steering. For example, the newest nissan offerings have a complete column with a coupler that engages if power is lost. Normal operation is all steer by wire but if the system has an issue, it becomes mechanical by default. I would also argue that making hydraulics as precise as electronics could be difficult, otherwise it seems like a major auto maker would have tried it already.

DzlToy

Explorer
:oops: Well then, I guess we are waiting for bad *** $500 hydro steering system to be installed on your truck.

:lurk:

javajoe79

Fabricator
Sensitive are we? My bad....

Anyways I will be paying attention. I would love to see what you come up with and hear some real world on road feedback... My junk doesn't even run yet so you are way ahead of me. As for the $500, if I spent $500 to do my steering, it would use the off the shelf supersteer bellcrank setup and some fab work. I'm trying not to spend that but in the end I think it will be worth it by saving me a bunch of time machining and fabbing.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste