NPS 300 Crewcab questions

Cuddy

Observer
Why not move the tray back 3-400 and mount the spares on a frame between the cab and tray? Fold up a ramp roll the wheels down. Weight will be central on the chassis and you should still have around 3 m of tray space- once you have shortened the tray ? Might be cheaper and easier than a fold down carrier...

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Here is an interesting wheel lift system at rear of cab.

https://youtu.be/RGJbgE1O30Y

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A lot of extra weight to be carrying just for a couple of spare tyres. Keep it simple - Fit them on the rear as you want but keep them light as you can by going with alloy rims. The leverage that you will get ( from the tyre position) will be very little. In your camper setup try to keep the main weight central and forward of the rear axle.

Dan.

pinny6x6

Dion
I would imagine this units design was ohs driven rather than simplicity and weight.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JohnRogers

Observer
Recieved my Goannatracks super singles today, fitted ECB winch bar last week now to fab up rear winch/towbar/wheel carrier then its going to Gitshams for a Lightweight Alloy tray. They didnt know much about spring mounts so ill just get them to use their normal mounts then fab up spring mounts myself. One question would the brains trust fab them out of steel and bolt up to tray rails or Ally and weld to tray bolt to chassis??
Also does anyone know if Sherpa twin motor winch will fit in ECB winch tray?? judging by winch specs and measuring the tray it'll be close but at $1500 its an expensive guessing game!

Cuddy

Observer
John, how are you going to calibrate the speedo after fitting the wheels, -the hummingbird unit?? I need to do the same
Cheers

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I would go steel because we are talking about something that has movement and you will get less wear. Now something else for you to consider is that the alloy tray will flex by itself being alloy (the springs will need to be light) unless it is very solidly built and then you are on the other side - it will be heavy and maybe the same as steel.

Get the right speedo gear in the gearbox and you don't need a correction box.

Dan.

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
Ali can work fine, you'd probably want to go 12mm for the main plate the spring works on, fully gussetted. And be well confident with Ali mig.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I would argue that any ali component that will undergo stress should be TIG welded, as this is more malleable than a MIG weld.

Amesz00

Adventurer
Personally I would say mig, you'll be pumping around 1/3-1/2 the heat into it, it's much easier to access tricky spots and should have better penetration. On the flip side it's harder to get nice welds, and for structural stuff you have to spend lots of time and care cleaning around edges and start/stops to blend it in, as that's where it'll crack from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste

Members online