OBA for LR4

BikePilot

Hi all, I'd like to add on board air to my LR4. Primarily for airing tires on the truck as well as bicycles and dirt bikes it'll be supporting. Mine is a 2011 US spec LR4 (5.0L v8, 7-seats). Has anyone come up with a clever way to mount an ARB dual pump compressor? I haven't purchased one yet, but was thinking of trying to wedge one in the right passenger side between the airbox and headlight. I'll also likely try and fit a passenger side OEM air tank for some volume (not real important for truck tires, but great for smaller tires like bicycles and motos). If not an ARB dual pump compressor, any recommendations? I'd really like to mount it somewhat permanently and in a way that doesn't compromise seating or ability to fold the seats flat.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately the photos are gone as I no longer maintain the URL they were hosted on, but the short narrative for my LR3 onboard air is here:
https://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2006/10/28/onboard-air-for-the-lr3/

Here is one photo I still have:
IMG_3223-XL.jpg

I am pretty sure the LR4 continues the inclusion of the spare battery compartment. This makes a tidy little spot for the air compressor of your choice.

BikePilot

Nice, thanks! I've got a computer Gizmo in that spot, but it might be easier to move it and mount the compressor there than to find a spot for the compressor. The computer isnt that big.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
oh man, looks like Land Rover got lazy! Any idea what that module is? Is it in a dust resistant housing? Could it be re-mounted to the outside of that spare battery box? Have you searched the Discovery3.CO.UK forum for what they do with that module when installing a second battery?

BikePilot

Thanks! I'm not sure what it is. It's an epoxy encased computer of some sort. I'll poke around a bit and see if I can figure it out. Will also have a look at that forum. I searched a few others and didn't turn up much.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Consider an ARB portable Compressor. I've got the twin compressor in the suitcase. Its pretty much a champion. Also handy to throw in other vehicles when needed or leave in the garage when not needed. Would be a good compromise.

Consider an ARB portable Compressor. I've got the twin compressor in the suitcase. Its pretty much a champion. Also handy to throw in other vehicles when needed or leave in the garage when not needed. Would be a good compromise.

That idea sure does make it a snappy swap from vehicle to vehicle. I would like a dedicated mounted system but then the fallback is it's "hard mounted"....:unsure:

BikePilot

I may do this. Really looks crammed for hard mounting the dual compressor. Do you use alligator clips? I was thinking of maybe running cable and connectors to a few spots on the truck to make it a little tidier. I'll check amperage ratings but I bet rc truck battery cable connectors would work.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Yes. I use the gator clips. No problems. Having a nice connector would be awesome, especially run to the back of the vehicle. There is a nice connector within the box that you could get a 2nd harness for to chop up, so if you had to go back to alligators, its easy.

But yeah, my ARB suitcase compressor has time and time again won MVP award. Whether I gotta hop in the car to go fix a flat for my female unit (which occurs exclusively at 5:51pm on Fridays), or just trail riding with my friends, or helping others on the trail. Earlier this year we had a tire failure on a single track. So I grabbed this happy little fellow and dragged it the 100ft up the trail. It was the least sucky/least time consuming option. At 45 minutes before dusk...in the fog...I'll take it.

This is our normal setup. Pretty much used it everyday on our trip last month. We would air down, have fun, then air back up to hit the pavement. I like the self-attaching air chuck and the 1 gal air tank. I connect power and get the compressor going. So I'm building pressure while I'm messing with the air hose. My dad even commented on the effectiveness of this unit. Currently my friend has it on loan. Just threw it in the back of his LR4. He has had it for 2 weeks. Guess I'll see it next week? LOL. I don't need it right now and he did. So no worries.

2018-09-11_09-42-34 by Max Thomason, on Flickr

ar4me

Adventurer
oh man, looks like Land Rover got lazy! Any idea what that module is? Is it in a dust resistant housing? Could it be re-mounted to the outside of that spare battery box? Have you searched the Discovery3.CO.UK forum for what they do with that module when installing a second battery?
Thanks! I'm not sure what it is. It's an epoxy encased computer of some sort. I'll poke around a bit and see if I can figure it out. Will also have a look at that forum. I searched a few others and didn't turn up much.
The module inside the "secondary" battery box on the LR4 is the TCM module that they relocated (compared to the LR3). People who install secondary batteries in the LR4 usually take it out of the plastic casing and move it to a slightly different location but still inside the secondary battery box - me included. See pic here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...se-duty.151003/page-5#lg=post-2049852&slide=3 (the silver box towards the fender by the flex lines)

vasily

Adventurer
Yes. I use the gator clips. No problems. Having a nice connector would be awesome, especially run to the back of the vehicle. There is a nice connector within the box that you could get a 2nd harness for to chop up, so if you had to go back to alligators, its easy.

But yeah, my ARB suitcase compressor has time and time again won MVP award. Whether I gotta hop in the car to go fix a flat for my female unit (which occurs exclusively at 5:51pm on Fridays), or just trail riding with my friends, or helping others on the trail. Earlier this year we had a tire failure on a single track. So I grabbed this happy little fellow and dragged it the 100ft up the trail. It was the least sucky/least time consuming option. At 45 minutes before dusk...in the fog...I'll take it.

This is our normal setup. Pretty much used it everyday on our trip last month. We would air down, have fun, then air back up to hit the pavement. I like the self-attaching air chuck and the 1 gal air tank. I connect power and get the compressor going. So I'm building pressure while I'm messing with the air hose. My dad even commented on the effectiveness of this unit. Currently my friend has it on loan. Just threw it in the back of his LR4. He has had it for 2 weeks. Guess I'll see it next week? LOL. I don't need it right now and he did. So no worries.

2018-09-11_09-42-34 by Max Thomason, on Flickr

3ef2a676c714abb46af43572a36ac9a8.jpg
1398333ca5871e8e20d41a72d4e19ef8.jpg

The ARB is awesome. Also, max, thanks for letting me borrow yours. Bad news tho: I misplaced it. Can’t find it anywhere. Sorry mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles