OBD Scan Tool / Diagnosic Software

BradK

I’ve been searching through the threads about OBD scan tools for the Isuzu and the Canter. I can’t find any recent posts but it appears that there is no diagnostic tool available for the Fuso Canter? Is this correct? Does it apply to all model year?

I couldn’t find any posts on the Isuzu. Does the Isuzu have available OBD diagnostic tools?

I have done a lot of research into the Iveco Daily 4x4 but I eventually decided it had too many issues for my liking, so now I have started looking at the Japanese trucks as an alternative. I was prepared to pay several thousand dollars for the software and the adaptors to be able to have the complete Iveco “Easy” (Factory) diagnostic tool. On the Iveco it’s really a “must have” otherwise you can’t even change the oil without the truck going into limp mode, so I just though of it as part of the “cost of ownership”.

Am I making too much out of this or is this really a problem for a truck I hope to take to some out of the way places?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
II can’t find any recent posts but it appears that there is no diagnostic tool available for the Fuso Canter? Is this correct? Does it apply to all model year?
Am I making too much out of this or is this really a problem for a truck I hope to take to some out of the way places?
It depends on the year. The 'old' Fuso's fault codes can be read by blinking lights (connecting 2 pigtail connections under the dash), not the easiest way to read them, but it works and is free. The 'new' Fusos need the factory STAR/Xentry diagnostic system at about $5000.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It is possible to get a Chinese clone of the Fuso MUT-III tester, but these seem to be a bit "hit and miss" when it comes to their ability to read the diagnostic codes.
Given the price of these clones, I have not been highly motivated to make the outlay, especially when there is no guarantee that it will work. I have purchased/used about six different ODB scanners, but not one of them has worked on my truck (2010 FG84).
The biggest problem is that the data output is not compliant with the OBD standard; it is proprietary to Fuso. The question was asked if Torque will work. Short answer to that question is NO.

I have never looked into scan tools for the Isuzu or Iveco, simply because I don't have one of those trucks.

BradK

The 'new' Fusos need the factory STAR/Xentry diagnostic system at about $5000.
Thanks Mog. $5000US is an eye watering $6300AU. About a 10th the value of a new truck. Bring on the “Right to Repair” legislation!

BradK

Thanks SkiFreak

Is the FG84 the same as the current model but with a 4.2 litre engine? I’ve found it difficult to find out much about the history of Canter models. From what I have read about OBD2 it wasn’t mandatory for trucks in Australia till 2013 when we went to Euro V so I guess they could do what they wanted with the diagnostic port before that.

PS. I’m enjoying reading your website articles.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Thanks SkiFreak

Is the FG84 the same as the current model but with a 4.2 litre engine?

The FG84 has a 4.9 litre engine and was the last of the "real truck engines" in a Canter. Slow reving with a very good engine life. Even though it is a Euro4, it only has an EGR, not a DPF. The Euro4 Isuzu NPS has a DPF.
The FGB71 has the 3.0 litre "world engine". Much more of the electrics is controlled by the ECU, which complicates diagnosis of problems without access to the ECU data.

BradK

The FG84 has a 4.9 litre engine and was the last of the "real truck engines" in a Canter. Slow reving with a very good engine life. Even though it is a Euro4, it only has an EGR, not a DPF. The Euro4 Isuzu NPS has a DPF.
The FGB71 has the 3.0 litre "world engine". Much more of the electrics is controlled by the ECU, which complicates diagnosis of problems without access to the ECU data.

Thanks SkiFreak

Do you know what year the FGB71 was introduced?

So does the lack of a scan gauge style diagnostic tool for your truck mean that you can service the truck yourself or are you still forced to go to the dealer to get things done?

This is on my mind because I currently have a warning light up on the Ranger from the tyre monitoring system. It detected the flat tyre ok but now the alarm is still there and the Torque App On my phone can’t see the alarm, so therefore can’t clear it. So I’m off to the dealer :-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste