Odyssey vs. Diehard Platinum

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I just received my $20 rebate check today for the Bosch Platinum Series AGM after forgetting all about it, bonus! :sombrero:

Battery has been perfect so far, used in daily driver, no complaints.

Last edited:

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
I just had my first semi short duration sears diehard platinum 31M failure (date code 12 2012). I first bought an Odyssey in 2004. It lasted 7 years and probably would have gone longer, but wife and I were away from home on a contract job, and reliability was key. It got replaced with an identical Odyssey. The first 31m was bought in Feb 2013.
I have owned a total of 3 Odysseys and 5 platinum diehards. I still have 2 Odysseys and 3 PDH. Assuming the PDH is internally identical as an Odyssey, i have been satisfied with both jbrands. I wrote about upgrading the wife's Sequoia with the 31m in the Toyota section. The sequoia started to behave strangely (clock memory/radio preset loss and a slight delay when engaging the starter). Obviously an intermittent electrical problem. Battery voltage indicated OK. It progressed to the remote door locks not working when approaching car, and an exteneded delay engaging the starter, then finally a condition where the starter solenoid would only click, and no start.
When i removed tehe positive battery cable, i noticed the positive post could be rotated very slightly, but still showed good voltage. Took it to sears where they declared battery failed. They replaced it for free and now i have a new one with a date code of 5. 2015.
What is interesting to me is, the battery was used as a voltage source for my ham radio in the garage and ARB fridge, all low amp draws, was moved very little, and was charged with an Odyssey Ultimizer. Not mistreated, just a few weeks in te Sequoia. It appears a some type of internal failure.

osidepunker

Adventurer
Sear website shows PM group 31 and 34 as "Temporarily Unavailable". I bought a group 31 last month and the sales guy told me they were going to be discontinued.

Anyone know whats going on? I need another group 31

Bretthn

Explorer
I just had my group 31 replaced about two months ago and my local Sears had about 5 of them in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Sear website shows PM group 31 and 34 as "Temporarily Unavailable". I bought a group 31 last month and the sales guy told me they were going to be discontinued.

There has been speculation that Sears would drop this battery due to their company's poor profitability of late. You could look for a deal for the Odyssey in that model. Both are made by EnerSys.

Sierra Expeditions sells them: http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=449

photo nomad

Adventurer

They are showing up as available again.

228B

Observer
May I suggest instead a phone call to any one of the Sears Auto Centers nearest you. Some have them in stock, others may not.

osidepunker

Adventurer
May I suggest instead a phone call to any one of the Sears Auto Centers nearest you. Some have them in stock, others may not.

You are right, I am not being thorough. I'm just not really in a hurry so I figured I would check for any rumors. The online inventory has always been accurate in the past (I bought 3 in the last couple years), but in any case I tried calling two stores yesterday and couldn't get a hold of anybody. I'll try again this weekend and let everyone know whats up.

osidepunker

Adventurer
Just got a hold of someone at Sears in Temecula. No group 34s in stock and none on the horizon. The guy said Sears was going to "rearrange" their platinum product line

dstock

Explorer
Sears doesn't stand behind the Platinum very well anyway, just go Odyssey instead. I have had amazing customer service from them with regard to my Diehard Platinums, when Sears was useless. The were super-helpful and informative which to me is worth the extra $$. It was the exact opposite experience with Sears.

photo nomad

Adventurer
Just got a hold of someone at Sears in Temecula. No group 34s in stock and none on the horizon. The guy said Sears was going to "rearrange" their platinum product line

Contact BatteryStore.com for an Odyssey, they have a location in Santa Ana. I just picked up a group 31 from them for $345, cheapest price I could find in SoCal.

osidepunker

Adventurer
Sears doesn't stand behind the Platinum very well anyway, just go Odyssey instead. I have had amazing customer service from them with regard to my Diehard Platinums, when Sears was useless. The were super-helpful and informative which to me is worth the extra $$. It was the exact opposite experience with Sears.

Contact BatteryStore.com for an Odyssey, they have a location in Santa Ana. I just picked up a group 31 from them for $345, cheapest price I could find in SoCal.

thanks fellas. I probably will go that route. I'm not quite ready yet. My diehard gold is getting weak but still starts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior