Odyssey vs. Diehard Platinum

228B

Observer
I know where there are two NEW, matching-voltage (12.84 resting) DieHard Platinum Group 31s, made in Feb 2015. I'm thinking about buying them, then selling my current DieHardPlat Grp31 made in Jan 2014. If I'm going to run a dual-battery setup in my trailer with a 2000W inverter, I'd like my batteries to be identical in age. My present Group 31 has been treated with reverence and adoration, always recharged after use, and never taken below 60% State of Charge (40% D.o.D). I've owned it since April of last year, when I purchased it from Sears Automotive in Glendale, CA.

osidepunker

Adventurer
I just pulled the trigger on an Odyssey PC1500. I didnt realize they have different terminal configurations! I was able to get a 34R which is exactly what I need for my main!

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have recently been through all this with Sears and Odyssey. The "old" Platinums are going to be hard to find because Northstar tells me that Sears has now contracted with them for their AGMs, replacing Odyssey. It seems that all of the DieHard Gold AGMs are already Northstar and the new Platinums are on the way, but were pretty much unavailable when I tried to buy a couple of G-34s earlier this summer. Previous poster was correct that Sears support on these batteries is crap (personal experience) but Odyssey support is superb (also personal experience). I wound up with a new Odyssey 31M for one truck and a new Northstar 31M for the other truck, plus a pair of Optima 34M dual purpose for my house batteries.

osidepunker

Adventurer
The diehard golds are garbage. I went through two in less than 2 years. One under warranty, the latest I'm not bothering with warranty. I need a solid battery that won't let me down

osidepunker

Adventurer
The DH Golds are second-tier AGM batteries. Specs are nowhere near the Platinums.

They should still be reliable as a main battery regardless of specs. Especially since I run a dual battery system so they never see significant discharge.

My main point is that if they're made by Northstar and the new Platinums will be made by Northstar.... I don't have much faith in the new line of Platinums

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Sears doesn't stand behind the Platinum very well anyway
That wasn't my experience. I had one that appeared to be dying, all they wanted to do was test it. It failed, they replaced it, no questions asked.

OT, but why would anyone buy from Sears.....will Sears be around in X years if you need warranty..
That's an odd argument. That could be said of any number of companies people buy stuff from all the time.

dstock

Explorer
That wasn't my experience. I had one that appeared to be dying, all they wanted to do was test it. It failed, they replaced it, no questions asked.

Glad it worked out for you. Mine wouldn't hold a resting rate over 12.4 overnight. Odyssey considers this a bad battery. Sears said it was good. The spec is 12.7-8.

Following the Odyssey recovery procedure of discharging and charging a couple of times, I was able to recover the batteries to the proper resting rate. Odyssey was extremely helpful, Sears was not.

mobiledynamics

DStock -

Juar curious on your recover. How deep did you discharge. How many amps and held for how long ?
I've read their recovery doc. Seems awfully high on amp recommendations but it seems to be the gospel on this

dstock

Explorer
DStock -

Juar curious on your recover. How deep did you discharge. How many amps and held for how long ?
I've read their recovery doc. Seems awfully high on amp recommendations but it seems to be the gospel on this

This is the spec I was given:

We recommend the 5 hour rate of discharge to 10.0V from a full state of charge. So, at 137W or 11.5A it should take 5 hours to reach 10.0V (read voltage while load applied) from a full state of charge. When the load is removed, it will recover to 10.5-11.5V or so. The higher the rate of discharge, the less efficient the discharge and the shallower the depth of discharge. The idea is to deeply discharge the battery the recharge at 25A not to exceed 15.0V. If the battery vents or overheats at less than 15.0V then the battery may be severely sulfated and have a high internal resistance causing overheating. If the battery vents, hisses or gets so hot you cannot hold your hand on it then discontinue charging. Warm is ok but hot is not.

I then used the Odyssey 25 amp charger to bring it back. They actually said in a subsequent email that it doesn't matter how long it takes to discharge, it just needs to get down to 10 volts and then be properly recharged. I used a pair of 55watt Hella lights as my discharge "rig" which made for a pretty constant rate of discharge and I just checked it often until it got to 10 volts. I think it was roughly 5-6 hours. Then you wait for 12 hours and check the resting rate and if it's below 12.8, you repeat the process, if it's 12.8 or above you are good to go. One battery took one cycle and the other two cycles.

Hope this helps.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
@dstock-
Your discharge/recharge post got me off dead center. Now discharging a PC2250 using a pair of H4 bulbs @9.2 amps. Currently at 12.1 Volts and declining. Will recharge with my Omax 50 amp charger. Will probably do this 2 times. Had left the battery in my trailer connected to a parasitic drain and found it at 11.8 volts. Recharged it wit OMax. Battery got fairly warm, about 100F. No Gassing, hissing. Resting voltage 24 hours after that charge was 12.68v. So, Odyssey's statement about sulfated, made me decide to cycle.
Also, after many weeks of daily driving around town (probably no more than 20 minutes of run time per engine start) the 31M in the Sequoia was at 83% (I forget the voltage), so it got an overnight Omax to 100%. Still resting fine.image.jpg

So, 36 hours after the first discharge and subsequent recharge, resting voltage is at 12.76. Letting it sit for a other 24 hours

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Crazy this thread just popped up in my email and is active again.

About 3 hours ago I went to Sears to buy a G31 Marine AGM DIEHARD. And they are now Discontinued!! :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles