O'erlanderwagen build

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Wow. I had pretty much decided that my next vehicle would be a Land Cruiser 100 that I would build for overlanding. It probably still will be given total cost considerations and availability of aftermarket mods, but seeing your G-wagen makes the wheels start spinning. Your rig is awesome. Hopefully I'll run into you sometime and get to drool all over it. On second thought, that might be a bad idea, I don't need that kind of temptation. Really nice machine.

Certainly nothing wrong with an LC100 Larry, I've been summoned to give them a try myself.
Thanks for the kind words!
Send me a PM if you'd like to check it out. I could drag my friend Mike who owned an LC100 to discuss it comparatively(beware, Mike can be a bad influence. You'll be planning your next build in no time!)

larrydallas

I might take you up on that some time. Realistically I won't be buying a new rig for a few years, so my addiction to researching the topic is basically self inflicted torture at this point. The LC100 fills almost all boxes on my list. I've mapped out my build plans but haven't penciled in lockers yet - not sure if how badly my trail choice will necessitate them. Besides the lack of factory lockers I'd say it has everything I want. Really the only issue is the aesthetics don't connect with me on the LC100. The 80 series really is sexy, but something there seems to have been lost on the 100. I've decided that the 100 has more power, comfort, and is newer and therefore perhaps more reliable so it is the best choice for me, but I still wish I had more of an emotional connection to them. The G-wagen fills that requirement for sure. Maybe at some point I'll take you up on the offer to check it out. Thanks!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I might take you up on that some time. Realistically I won't be buying a new rig for a few years, so my addiction to researching the topic is basically self inflicted torture at this point. The LC100 fills almost all boxes on my list. I've mapped out my build plans but haven't penciled in lockers yet - not sure if how badly my trail choice will necessitate them. Besides the lack of factory lockers I'd say it has everything I want. Really the only issue is the aesthetics don't connect with me on the LC100. The 80 series really is sexy, but something there seems to have been lost on the 100. I've decided that the 100 has more power, comfort, and is newer and therefore perhaps more reliable so it is the best choice for me, but I still wish I had more of an emotional connection to them. The G-wagen fills that requirement for sure. Maybe at some point I'll take you up on the offer to check it out. Thanks!

LMK.
Having the lockers for peace of mind is nice; of course the G already comes with them so that was an easy decision.
LC100 is very nice, more comfortable than my G, but my G is more engaging.

Juppies

This G is gorgeous, great job. And thanks for the great documentation. It really helps out when researching G mods.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
6/23/14 update.

In planning for a few more large trips, not only later this year but also for the next few years (I'll probably upgrade the G to something larger at that time, easier to haul 4 in comfort/room, and also camp inside the rig as well if it's pizzing rain), so I've decided to re-configure the G a bit for the next few years.
And so it begins...

I've had a drawer system on my list because my red trunk, while it fits well, holds what I need it to hold, and is the same height as the "60" rear seat when folded down(stealth sleeping spot), in order to get into the trunk I have to remove ALL the gear on top of the trunk. That's not the most convenient.
After sketching and scheming for a custom drawer setup, FrontRunner came out with one for the W461 G that can be slightly modified to fit the W463(I will modify it further for my own needs). So, in this instance, much easier to just install theirs in less than an hour than have a carpenter spend a day or two building something from scratch.

So, today in part1 of the drawer customization, in 40min we went from this;
IMG_2828-vi.jpg

To this(it's a very very tight fit with my custom water jerry holder in left rear, but the water jerry holder fits very very well with the FR drawer system, very pleased);
IMG_3108-vi.jpg

(the closest of the 2 boards is off as I'll be mounting the drawer system different than FR says to. As well, I'm aiming to change their black carpet covered wood board to a black UHMW for added strength and to help make cleaning easier with the random dog hair. I was also playing around with the porta potti placement in this pic).

Optimizing the Nat'l Luna Power Pack placement here;
IMG_3109-vi.jpg

(I'll be modifying the FR side board, either to UHMW or 3/16" aluminum, so that the NLPP can sit on here and tie-down. The main reason to shove it all the way forward is due to the Anderson cord going into it. Having the NLPP forward allows the cord to fall in the hole there. If I had the NLPP in the far right rear of the cargo area, the Anderson cord would be in the middle of the cargo space.
I'm placing the drawer system as close to the rear cargo door as possible, to enable more available storage room between the drawers and rear seat back--notice the 2 FR chairs currently stowed between drawers and rear seat).

In general camping mode with 3 of the FR Wolf Packs on the driver side;
IMG_3110-vi.jpg

Available space for my dog or gear to sit;
IMG_3111-vi.jpg

If I have all 4 of my FRWP's(2 need to be turned sideways as the truck isn't wide enough to have 2 sets side by side) no real room for my dog;
IMG_3112-vi.jpg

IMG_3114-vi.jpg

Daily driver mode = happy dog(no more lumpy dog area);
IMG_3118-vi.jpg

I'll post more pics when the rear cargo area is finalized.

Last edited:

SP Jon M3

Observer
After sketching and scheming for a custom drawer setup, FrontRunner came out with one for the W461 G that can be slightly modified to fit the W463(I will modify it further for my own needs). So, in this instance, much easier to just install theirs in less than an hour than have a carpenter spend a day or two building something from scratch.

How did you secure the drawers back there? Were you able to secure it using the D rings in the cargo area? I know that FR says to drill holes in the wheel arches to secure the drawers to the G-Wagen.. not sure most with a 463 would want to drill to mount these.

http://www.frontrunner.co.za said:
(C)

Using the Mounting Brackets as guides, mark the position of the four Mounting Holes (Outer hole on each Mounting Bracket) onto the vehicle's wheel arches. Remove the Drawer System and drill 9mm holes through the wheel arches on your markings.

Refit the Drawer System.

And great build by the way! I've been following it for some time. :drool:

greynolds

Observer
How did you secure the drawers back there? Were you able to secure it using the D rings in the cargo area? I know that FR says to drill holes in the wheel arches to secure the drawers to the G-Wagen.. not sure most with a 463 would want to drill to mount these.
Yeah, I wouldn't be keen on drilling holes in my brand new 463, plus it wouldn't make for a quick way to take them out if the extra cargo space is needed without the drawers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles