Off Brand Android Tablets with GPS

Cayuse

Observer
Has anyone used one of the cheaper, off brand tablets that can be found on Amazon for around $100 as a dedicated GPS device? This would live in the truck, run BCN and that's about it. The only time I'd connect it to WiFi would be to load new maps, SD/mSD slot would be good for map storage. Thinking something smaller than 10".

TIA

Last edited:

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
I use an android tablet that is at least 5 years old. it is programmed for Verizon and since we no longer use Verizon (cost cutting $100/mo.) it only works via WIFI. I downloaded the GAIA ap and downloaded maps to the memory chip added to the phone.

It works just fine. The android tablet has the circuitry required to make the GPS work. Using the downloaded maps allows the tablet GPS to mark my route in the AZ desert where no WIFI or cell service is available.

FYI: I recently purchased a Dell 2in1 laptop thinking that I could do the same thing on the larger 13" laptop screen that I did on the tablet. WRONG!!!
Dell 2in1 laptops do not have the GPS circuitry. I overcame this problem by finding GPS.COM They sell a device ($30.00) that plugs into your USB port that provides the GPS info to the laptop.
The next problem is finding free map programs that work with windows 10. GAIA will not work. An old version of TOPO will work. good luck finding one. The program has been discontinued. Other programs have a yearly subscription and some a pretty steep first year price.

I am still using my old tablet until I fix the laptop use issues.

Does anyone have a solution to my windows 10 compatibility issue?

Vince

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have one of the cheapest tablets out there that I use with Gaia. It is an Insignia (Best Buy) 8" tablet I bought a year and a half ago for $60 new. The tablet is just okay for general use but it does fine for navigation, follows the downloaded tracks no problem.

Joe917

Explorer
You may be better buying a quality used tablet over a new POS. I would recommend the 10" as it is much easier to read the larger screen, and for navigation the more info you can get on the screen the better. Ram mount highly recommended.

Cayuse

Observer
You may be better buying a quality used tablet over a new POS. I would recommend the 10" as it is much easier to read the larger screen, and for navigation the more info you can get on the screen the better. Ram mount highly recommended.

Maybe but I also will be more tempted to overload a quality tablet (have a Galaxy), also need to reevaluate keeping anything in the truck now since someone decided to smash in a windo last night and rummage through the cab while it was parked in the driveway :mad:

Toyman01

Adventurer
Samsung regularly has tablets on sale for under $100. I recently picked up two Samsung 7" Galaxy Tab A LTEs for $90 at Best Buy. I supply them to my techs loaded with parts and instruction manuals. With a good case they hold up very well. I use the 8" version with BCN in my Jeep.

Cayuse

Observer
Samsung regularly has tablets on sale for under $100. I recently picked up two Samsung 7" Galaxy Tab A LTEs for $90 at Best Buy. I supply them to my techs loaded with parts and instruction manuals. With a good case they hold up very well. I use the 8" version with BCN in my Jeep.

That sounds like something to watch for, thanks.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
The Lenovo Tab A4 either the 8 or 10 inch are good value too. Agree use a Ram Mount and take it with you when you get out.

I have the L:enovo Tab A4 10" and run my Backcountry Navigator on it, along with a few other mapping, adventure apps (like iOverlander) and it works just fine. I just ordered a RAM mount to set it up in my truck. I try to keep the tablet running lean, and only use it for mapping.

A_anu

https://www.instagram.com/descubiendourantia/?hl=e
hello a brand that is offering good quality is xiaomi on tablet and computer. Unfortunately the programmed obsolescence is included, but I think it is interesting in the medium term
spend more than $ 70 on a very cheap one that does not offer quality or duration. regards

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I don't believe in spending a lot on electronics for casual use, as they become obsolete so quickly.

I wouldn't worry about obsolescence unless the device fails to function as it did originally. True if you are expecting increased functionality as technology grows then yes spending big money is a waste. I do not chase technology. Determine what your present goals and needs are at this point, and buy the tech you need to do the job at that time.

ohiobenz

I use an android tablet that is at least 5 years old. it is programmed for Verizon and since we no longer use Verizon (cost cutting $100/mo.) it only works via WIFI. I downloaded the GAIA ap and downloaded maps to the memory chip added to the phone.

It works just fine. The android tablet has the circuitry required to make the GPS work. Using the downloaded maps allows the tablet GPS to mark my route in the AZ desert where no WIFI or cell service is available.

FYI: I recently purchased a Dell 2in1 laptop thinking that I could do the same thing on the larger 13" laptop screen that I did on the tablet. WRONG!!!
Dell 2in1 laptops do not have the GPS circuitry. I overcame this problem by finding GPS.COM They sell a device ($30.00) that plugs into your USB port that provides the GPS info to the laptop.
The next problem is finding free map programs that work with windows 10. GAIA will not work. An old version of TOPO will work. good luck finding one. The program has been discontinued. Other programs have a yearly subscription and some a pretty steep first year price.

I am still using my old tablet until I fix the laptop use issues.

Does anyone have a solution to my windows 10 compatibility issue?

Vince

Vince, look at the TwoNav Land option, it's Win10 compatible and the Premium version has a 30 day free trial.

https://www.twonav.com/en/software/land

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles