Off road camper build FINISHED!!!!!

I have been learning from posts here for the last few months and have just started my 5x9 build. On most of my projects I never keep a log of the build, and I always regret it after the fact. This seems like the perfect forum for what I am building and its intended use.

The plan is to build a typical 5x9 off road camper with rear access kitchen. I had a leaf sprung axle laying around and flipped the springs and will use it for the time being. I am building the frame out of 3/16" Channel, and the box out of 1x1 square. I have a very bad habit of overbuilding everything and am trying my best to keep this under 2500 pounds. Tires and rims will be 285 x 17 to match my wife's jeep. I go back and forth on the exterior skin, but currently I am thinking .050 aluminum and 3m tape. Interior will be paneled with birch. i added a photo of the Gobi trailer i am basing this build off of. This is not going to be a camper for rock crawling, more just random trips with the wife and mountain bikes. Any advice you all have i'm all ears.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3128.JPG
    IMG_3128.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3127.JPG
    IMG_3127.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3126.JPG
    IMG_3126.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3125.JPG
    IMG_3125.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3129.PNG
    IMG_3129.PNG
    358.7 KB · Views: 271
I have finished framing it out and test fitting windows and doors. I ended up using 31x10.5 mainly due to cost. I have tried every off road tire for my ranch vehicles from Goodyear, nitto, BFG, cooper etc. Believe it or not, my favorite off road tire I found on Amazon. Patagonia MT's. I get between 7,000-12,000 miles on a set of tires and was tired of buying 2 sets per year of $300 tires per truck. We put around 80 off road miles per day on a truck and the $140 patagonia MT's have surprisingly been my favorite, so I put them on my trailer as well.

Currently have right at 23" of ground clearance at the front frame corner. Next step is to POR15 the frame and then put a tractor enamel in gloss black over that. Then on to interior.

I bought the biggest 60" tool box i could find. It will hold my 2000w generator, solar panels, climate right, and a bunch of other crap. I am glad it adds a little tongue weight. I was starting to worry about my balance.

I ordered an ARB 8ft awning. I test fit it this weekend as well and it matches my roof line length exactly to the 1/8 inch. It looks like I did that on purpose, which i did not. Luck

I ordered and received all of my wiring. This is where I am an absolute beginner. I am keeping it simple and I think I have it all figured out. 40A solar controller, 6 fuse marine, grounding block, 2 6V batteries. All it will run is 4 LED lights, Fan, and Coffee maker, with 2 USB charger plugs. TV and AC will be generator if I choose to use them

Where I messed up so far: (This list WILL get longer)
I was welding my frame with my trailer windows sitting too close by. I now have splatter on both windows

I attached an image of my last trailer build also. A little different style!

Attachments

• IMG_3192.JPG
    IMG_3192.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3196.JPG
    IMG_3196.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3193.JPG
    IMG_3193.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 136
on another note, What type of roof top tent should I buy. I don't know much about them and my budget is $800-$1,400. I was thinking ARB

Finally got it painted today. 2 coats of por 15 then tractor enamel. Unfortunately I had to roll on the enamel. paint gun wouldn't work and the window to cover por15 is pretty small. Start on interior this week. I have everything bought and laid out so it should go pretty fast.

Attachments

• IMG-2525.JPG
    IMG-2525.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG-2524.JPG
    IMG-2524.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG-2526.JPG
    IMG-2526.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 94
It's not a father and son project if it's just dad. My son Tip coating the floor prior to install. I ended up using advantec 3/4 inch ply coated with elastomeric dock paint. I have been nervous on the best flooring. Trailer will be stored in a barn, but replacement would suck in the future because the interior will be built on top of it. I think this should work.

Attachments

• IMG_3329.JPG
    IMG_3329.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
Started on the interior. I don't have much experience with wood working so it has been fun learning. I am trying not to worry about perfection I don't want to go through a whole forest of birch, but I dont want it to suck either. So far I have been pleased with the results. Taking my time and going slow, measure twice cut once etc. I'm driving to San Antonio today to pick up the exterior aluminum and my 3m tape came in yesterday so hopefully this weekend I can make some progress.

Attachments

• IMG-2847.JPG
    IMG-2847.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG-2846.JPG
    IMG-2846.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 128
I'm not standing close, but if I remember right it was 1". Just some scrap I had. Thanks for the compliment on the woodwork. I was presently surprised it was 1/2 way square

I started my interior panels. .25 birch. I plan on coating the outside of each panel with rubberized undercoat, then insulation, and finally aluminum. I hate the idea of water getting in and rotting wood. Does anyone have a better idea then undercoat?

Attachments

• IMG_3352.JPG
    IMG_3352.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 94

ITTOG

I started my interior panels. .25 birch. I plan on coating the outside of each panel with rubberized undercoat, then insulation, and finally aluminum. I hate the idea of water getting in and rotting wood. Does anyone have a better idea then undercoat?
If water gets in your wall you want to know about it. So I would not do anything that block it in the wall. That will just develop mold and make it unsafe for you. You have to focus on sealing it with the outside skin.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I got the interior in and started on insulation. I'm using fomular 150 1" foam board. I caulked all joints of the interior birch and metal frame, then used liquid nails extreme on interior birch and foam board. That fomular is pretty cool stuff. I cut it 1/8" bigger then the hole and pressed it in. Supper tight without compressing the insulation too much.

I made my second mistake-
3m engineeres say to paint wood where vhb tape contacts the birch. I had some interior paint left over from a house project in my barn so I slapped it on. It was semi-gloss and even with clamps on it over night it was not a Permanent bond. I used self tapping screws on interior behind trim to really secure it. DONT USE SEMI-GLOSS. hahaha.

Another lesson learned- I used 3m primer 94 on metal prior to the tape. It is not like paint primer. Looks more like jack Daniels. I bought 1 qt for my trailer project and will have 90% left over when all is said and done. If you need this stuff on your project just know 6 ounces will be plenty. Goes on like water.

Have a great weekend! I sure am.

Attachments

• IMG_3357.JPG
    IMG_3357.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3361.JPG
    IMG_3361.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 120

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member