Off-road Heavy Duty Casita Build

krebsatm02

Observer
About to go down this same road... You're insane for tigging all that! If you had the room and time, would you change anything?

I'm planning on replacing most of the frame with 2'x4' and extending the front a couple of feet for storage. I'm also building a rear rack, sort of an outdoor kitchen though. I think I'm going with a 5200lb Timbren Axle less. I'm planning on the same tire size as it matches the 4Runner. I'm assuming this is why you chose that tire size?

Did it change much towing with the 4Runner?

Trixxx

About to go down this same road... You're insane for tigging all that! If you had the room and time, would you change anything?

I'm planning on replacing most of the frame with 2'x4' and extending the front a couple of feet for storage. I'm also building a rear rack, sort of an outdoor kitchen though. I think I'm going with a 5200lb Timbren Axle less. I'm planning on the same tire size as it matches the 4Runner. I'm assuming this is why you chose that tire size?

Did it change much towing with the 4Runner?

Hmmm those are some very good questions. To be honest, one thing I wouldn‘t change, is the frame material. I have seen them with a 2x4 frame, and to me the 2x3 frame is already overkill. No need to add even more weight and lose an extra inch of clearance. The exception “could” be is if you’re going to enclose the bottom and wanted it to hang down lower to run panels across.

I do still have some more small plans frame wise. Mostly regarding two pieces of 2x3” rectangular tubing about 2’ past the front and then tying into the frame on several cross members, then adding a lock n roll hitch that I already have. The gas tank and generator work perfecting above the propane, but there could have been some value in mounting them lower to the ground in front of the propane.

I may have overbuilt the rear platform a tad. Granted, it seemed perfect when I had the 4runner. Now that I have a 2020 F250 Tremor with a 6.75’ bed, 2800 lbs in payload capacity, and a 15k lb bumper pull towing capacity, I don’t see as much for such a substantial rear platform. It’ll work good for the bigger items that are less weight, however.

I have also been back and forth with power sources. I have the generator which can handle the AC, but I really want to be able to charge electronics and watch movies off the battery. I’ve really been racking my brain about where to install them (inside under the bed with lithium, on the tongue when I extend it, rear platform, etc.) but I think what I may actually do is build the battery box in the truck bed, so I can just plug the trailer into that when needed. Also, we intend to build out the Tremor for more adventuring where the Casita can’t take us (likely put a RTT on the back) so then we’ll still have that battery box available as well.

I would have maybe considered lifting it a couple more inches, but it’s pretty narrow which could cause issues.

Regarding the 4runner, it always towed it pretty good. We locked it out of 5th because it just couldn’t handle it. I would never hesitate to pull it across the country with the 4runner. I would get a bit nervous, however, if we were doing a lot of climbing on the mountain roads, mostly due to transmission temps and potentially overheating. 75 mph on flat interstate even in the summer is a non issue. The trailer brakes on the trailer are so good, that was never a concern, either.

I’m interested to see your Timbren axle set up. Our 5200 lb torsion with the added shocks is great, but someday when I have a house/garage/shop I’d likely swap the suspension for something a bit more robust.

el_topu

Adventurer
Great job on the build. The new 2x3 was welded under the existing channel frame correct. It looks really cool with the new 5200# axle on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trixxx

Great job on the build. The new 2x3 was welded under the existing channel frame correct. It looks really cool with the new 5200# axle on it

Yep! Welded right underneath the existing frame. Worked out really well.

Trixxx

Been a while since we updated the thread. Haven’t done a ton, but a few notable items. We brought the trailer to the Casita factory in October and had a factory furnace installed. It has a thermostat and runs off the propane. Speaking of propane, we also upgraded the two tongue propane’s from 20# tanks to 30# tanks. That will be a big help with the added use from the furnace. The furnace, I should add, works absolutely amazing in such a small trailer.

I had also been looking at building a nice battery box for the back of the truck, but I started running into time constraints and the build I wanted would have been about $3500. May still consider it in the future.

In the meantime, we bought a Jackery 1000. It’ll run the tv/dvd player, keep the battery charged, and charge our electronics overnight. Basically everything but the AC and Microwave, however we still have the generator to run those things (and charge the Casita battery/Jackery if needed).

I can plug the 30 amp (with a 120v plug) directly into the Jackery so all outlets work. This will probably be easier than plugging each item into the Jackery individually. I believe this will eat up the battery a bit faster, so we’ll really have to play this by ear.

I also mentioned above that I got the new truck. Hadn’t posted a pic in this thread, but had elsewhere on the site.

I am off work from Dec. 16th-Jan 4th and we’re leaving that day to spend several days in NM, AZ, then either down to Baja or sticking around the SE U.S. We have a spot in the Gila National Forest in the middle of nowhere that we’ve gone the last 2 winters. Looking forward to going back there again this year for a night or two, then exploring other places.

56DB4230-BFD1-4B47-AA66-601EB75DA2A9.jpegB2A9A806-0091-4B96-8542-0F70BD7327D6.jpegC1AD1172-6098-49B1-ADE9-B5EADBFD0C6E.jpeg

Attachments

• B7F051C5-31ED-4DA9-9028-703F378A49EA.jpeg
    B7F051C5-31ED-4DA9-9028-703F378A49EA.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

el_topu

Adventurer
How did you like the Jackery generator, is it worth it?

Last edited:

Trixxx

How did you like the Jackery generator, is it worth it?

It serves it’s purpose when we don’t need the generator to run the AC, but when we want all the all the other features in the trailer (charging iPad/electronics, watching TV, microwave, etc.) The Jackery works great. The Jackery also charges pretty quick from the built in inverter in the truck when we drive around as needed, or every few nights we can run the generator and charge the Jackery at the same time.

We’ve been doing a LOT to build up the truck/trailer over the last year with the intention of a long sabbatical after I finish a project in August. However now my wife is pregnant so I took a new job which will last another 2 years. With that any mind, any epic trips will now be on hold for a while.

wfv56

As much as this is sometimes frowned upon in “certain” GSD groups, he actually comes from a very well bred show line. Both his parents have won many shows, but beyond that, her dogs also do agility and tons of other competitions. Our breeder is a veterinarian as well, so we know she takes a lot of pride in her dogs. He came with a 2 year hip and elbow guarantee. If we x-rayed his hips and elbows at 2 years and sent them off to be certified and came back with any type of hip displaysia, we would get a full refund. We had him x-rayed at 2 years (he’s 3 now) and his hips came back good and his elbows at normal. With hips being rated in like 6? Different categories, “good” is the second from the highest.

I will also add that his work, drive, and focus, is as amazing as nearly any dog I have seen. I can go to a beach or a park filled with hundreds of kids and dogs, and he can be 100% off leash and as long as I have a ball in my hand, he ignores every person and every barking dog. He will fetch that ball until i make him stop, and could easily chase it into heat exhaustion.

At home, he is just the same. Constantly bringing toys to throw. I can throw a dirty shirt in the bathroom, tell him “laundry” and he will pick it up and put it in the laundry basket. We play “hide and seek” with his Kong (empty, so no food scent) and I can lock him in the bedroom, and hide it anywhere in our apartment and he finds it 95% of the time. We never trained him to do this, we just started playing it as a game and he picked up on it instantly. We let him out of the room and he drops his nose and just goes to town searching. I can wedge it deep down in the couch cushions out of site, and he’ll sniff it out.

That being said - his drive is incredibly high and he has to be well managed. He can certainly turn it off plenty at home and isn’t a nuisance, but for example, one of his brothers can’t be brought in public or around other dogs, which I’m sure is due to improper training and lack of socializing. Our dog (Neo) is completely indifferent towards people most the time, or occasionally a bit uneasy at first. He usually warms up eventually, but really has no interest in gaining their attention at all.

Here’s a few photo’s, since you brought it up. I could go on forever lol. I had a chocolate lab for 13 years before, and while I don’t know that I could ever love a dog as much as him (I had him from 16-29) our GSD is on an entirely different level in terms of intelligence and drive.

View attachment 595197View attachment 595198

They are. While it seems like it could be odd, it’s actually not annoying at all, kind of nice, and a little extra sound dampening/insulation. Some people seem bothered by this, but usually prospective lookers. I’m in a few Casita groups and it’s not anything that people ever complain about.
i Am a veterinarian with 40 years experience in a very high volume practice. I would see OFA (the hip and elbow certification group) give a excellent all but never. Your OFA good should give you high confidence in your dogs anatomy.

el_topu

Adventurer
It serves it’s purpose when we don’t need the generator to run the AC, but when we want all the all the other features in the trailer (charging iPad/electronics, watching TV, microwave, etc.) The Jackery works great. The Jackery also charges pretty quick from the built in inverter in the truck when we drive around as needed, or every few nights we can run the generator and charge the Jackery at the same time.

We’ve been doing a LOT to build up the truck/trailer over the last year with the intention of a long sabbatical after I finish a project in August. However now my wife is pregnant so I took a new job which will last another 2 years. With that any mind, any epic trips will now be on hold for a while.

Congrats on the upcoming baby

Trixxx

With our growing family and a potential 6-12 month sabbatical after my current project, considering moving to a larger trailer (23’6” Oliver Elite II).

Likely wouldn’t sell this til later this year (may do a few trips with the newborn and see how it goes).

Out of curiosity, what do you think this trailer would sell for?

jeepers29

With our growing family and a potential 6-12 month sabbatical after my current project, considering moving to a larger trailer (23’6” Oliver Elite II).

Likely wouldn’t sell this til later this year (may do a few trips with the newborn and see how it goes).

Out of curiosity, what do you think this trailer would sell for?
We have a casita spirit deluxe on order. Picking it up next Feb. If you decide to sell, please let me know as I would be very interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles