Off-roadable trailer fenders?

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I replaced the little 24" tires on my trailer with some 31x10.5's. The old fenders had to come off to clear the tires, so now I'm looking for some cheap, durable fenders to cover a tire this size and which can stand up to trail use (bumping against rocks, trees, etc.)

I've checked ebay, I've checked trailer build parts websites, and I haven't found anything remotely close to workable.

Does anyone have suggestions for a "universal" pair of plastic or rubber fenders for a tire of this size?

oldboyscout

Observer
I just happened to be planning a trailer build with 31x10.5 tires. abctrailerparts has 32" round steel fenders. I think Tractor Supply shows them in catalog also.

I haven't found anything cheep in plastic, though you may be able to find some kind of building material that will flex enough to shape. Do they make those basement window troughs in plastic yet?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Try Sierra 4x4 trailers. I see a stack of them on the shelf....

max190.jpg

yj4trails

Observer
If you are willing to do a little work, check out www.Jeeptubes.com. They sell affordable tube fender kits and the they ship them. Buy the rear tube fender kit. Friend of mine got there kit worked great.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I wound up at a local trailer supply store that as it turns out stocks tons of fenders in every-inch increments! I wanted to avoid steel because it just gets munched on rocks and trees, but I was able to get a pair of 32x9 round steel fenders for under $50 that are as low-profile and tight-fitting to my 31x10.5 tires as possible. They're absolutely perfect for this size tire (as with most light-truck tires, they measure smaller than stated on the sidewall: about 30.5 by 9 inches). I was really hoping for some plastic or reinforced rubber fenders, but these are so low-profile that they won't get hung up and munched on trail obstacles very easily. Now all I have to do is fabricate some mounts for them and attach some mudflaps.

Dowry

Observer
Sectioned Garbage gan?

When I think about what I'll do when I face this issue, I've assumed I'd cut the fenders out of just the right locations in a janitor's garbage can. It would be light, tough, dent and scratch resistant. Appaerently you get your choice of colors, too.

Somthing like this one:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-2643-16-Gallon-Brute-Trash/dp/B002JGI1AO/ref=pd_sbs_indust_5"]Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 2643-16 44 Gallon Brute Trash Can, Gray: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Just an idea,

D

r_w

Adventurer
We use old round baler belt or remnants. Mounted to frame using angle. The stuff is stiff enough no outside support needed, run the end long for a mudflap.

Hootowl

Observer
Nice trailer project you have going!

I think you may be making too big a deal regarding plastic versus steel fenders with respect to resistance to off road bumps being that much of a difference. Steel will dent, plastic will rip off. At least with steel, you can bang it into shape if needed to get you home with a functioning fender. LOL!

If you want to beef up the side protection for the trailer, I suggest an exocage for the side of the trailer and the fenders. This would be made of square tube or round DOM type steel tubing that is bent to follow the line of the side of the trailer and fender. It would be tied into the trailer frame for providing most of its strength and up higher somewhere on the trailer to give some lateral support for the fender trace. This is the only way I know of to give predictable side armor protection. Being in the grade as side armor, it would also give a side location for winching on if the trailer ever gets into a weird situation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz