Off season RTT storage

Porcupine86

So, only just got my Tepui Kukenam, and I'm thinking ahead to winter. Not planning to use it after November, and I live in an apartment complex with a parking garage. I suspect they wouldn't like me putting in a kayak lift in their ceiling, so any thoughts on free-standing solutions? Some of the other buildings have bike racks in them, so I was thinking of using the space in our garage where those usually go to put the tent on some sort of rack. Our garage doesn't have a bike rack (despite bugging the complex about it), so a combo rack would be ideal.

If there isn't anything commercially available, I might try to make something out of EMT that could hold our bikes and the tent. Maybe something like the rack below with a set of rails going back to a sawhorse sorta thing so the bikes would be on one end and the tent could lay along the top of the bike rack and the sawhorse.

People leave kayaks unlocked in the garages and none of the bike racks are bolted down in the other buildings, so high security isn't critical.

Attachments

• Idea_zps55ce91d1.jpg
    Idea_zps55ce91d1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 37

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
If I put it in the garage I stand it on it's side and strap to either a wheeled dolly or one of these for storage. Makes it easy for one person to move around and doesn't take up as much floor space, and if you strap it down tight it's pretty stable.

Porcupine86

If I put it in the garage I stand it on it's side and strap to either a wheeled dolly or one of these for storage. Makes it easy for one person to move around and doesn't take up as much floor space, and if you strap it down tight it's pretty stable.
I was thinking something a little more stationary, but this could work. I have a couple months to think about it, but the wheeled solutions look promising.

Porcupine86

Update - I ended up getting a 30" x 18" furniture dolly off of Amazon and using a ratchet strap to attach it. My new apartment has a storage unit and an elevator so I was able to roll it right in with no problem. The 1000 lb limit is 10x what my Kukenam weighs, so it rolls nice and smooth down the hallway.

Attachments

• 2018-11-30 15.52.41.jpg
    2018-11-30 15.52.41.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 47

TexasIsHome

Looks like you've already figured it out, but we just store it on the side as well. We have the XL tent now and used the same furniture dolly to move it around the garage.

be6dda8caccd47b2ee1c98031d882bf4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz