Off the path trailer/rooftop for 6

bowpay

For all those adventurers that have large families... My wife and I have 4 kids (3-13 years) and looking at finding a good solution for camping. We had a 33' trailer that we sold and this time we decided to go camping instead of taking our home with us. There are a lot of cool options out there for roof top tents, tear drops and smaller configurations. They all sound awesome on paper but the problem arises when I try to fit my kids in that picture. I was settled on a tear drop 6x8 with a rooftop tent until my wife saw the plans. She convinced me that we need to all be in the camper together so I went back to the drawing board. I came up with a single axle 7x12 (5200lbs) cargo trailer and figured out a way to get 4 bunks (2 in rear and 2 in front) and a full in it. After second thought I decided to step up to a 14 foot to give us a little more room for a rear kitchen on the back. Then I realized I would have to go to a tandem axle and that would put the door too close to the front of the trailer. So now I am at a tandem 16' and back to a large trailer that is going to be a PITA to travel some of the back roads. Any ideas on what others do with a larger family? Our towing rig is a 1991 suburban with a 5.9 12v swap so size really isn't an issue but it would be nice to not have to take a huge trailer on camping trips. Are there any options for larger families? Thanks in advance!

fungus

I made the same move you did. Had a great 33ft RV and sold it. Hated towing it and everything to do with RV parks. Then I bought a Fleetwood Evolution E3 which would fit your family. They’ll hold value now and can be had around 6-7k. I just sold mine about 3 months ago. Slept 6 comfortably. Sold it for what I bought it for and got 3 years out of it. It’s lifted, can carry all your stuff and can get reasonably off the beaten path.

Honestly, it’s a pop up and easy to tow and can go most places. Look them up. Until the kids get bigger, you’ll want to have them close in the back country in a soft side.

Now that my 3 girls are bigger we have a turtleback and with the annex, works perfectly.

jwiereng

"She convinced me that we need to all be in the camper together - "

Teen-aged kids might not want to co-habitate with mom and dad.

bowpay

I am looking at the Fleetwood Evolution E3 now. I think you are right on a tent trailer. I owned one once but it was old so it was at the stage of the tent tearing and leaking. Sort of ruined the idea of a tent trailer for me but I think that maybe my only way to go. A roof top tent also sounds good but not sure if I can get two tents on top of the suburban without a serious roof rack. Thanks!

bowpay

3, 6, 9, 13 so they are still at the age that they want to be with Mom and Dad plus we homeschool so we are pretty tight family. I think you are right in 3-5 years from now though. Thanks!

bowpay

I made the same move you did. Had a great 33ft RV and sold it. Hated towing it and everything to do with RV parks. Then I bought a Fleetwood Evolution E3 which would fit your family. They’ll hold value now and can be had around 6-7k. I just sold mine about 3 months ago. Slept 6 comfortably. Sold it for what I bought it for and got 3 years out of it. It’s lifted, can carry all your stuff and can get reasonably off the beaten path.

Honestly, it’s a pop up and easy to tow and can go most places. Look them up. Until the kids get bigger, you’ll want to have them close in the back country in a soft side.

Now that my 3 girls are bigger we have a turtleback and with the annex, works perfectly.

Btw is the Fleetwood Evolution E3 best version or are there other options that are as nice?

fungus

Btw is the Fleetwood Evolution E3 best version or are there other options that are as nice?

For me it had maximum versatility. Big enough for the little kids to bring friends. Small enough to be together. Get the one piece roof and you will have zero leaks. Mine never had any leaking issues. I brought bikes and all sorts of gear on the front of it, even an atv on more than one occasion. It was a rock solid unit and was a ton of fun for everyone. Parts are readily available and super easy to work on. Pro tip though, use an old cordless drill and a roof crank bit to raise and lower the roof. Cranking that thing got old real fast.

As far as other options, there is an E2 that’s obviously smaller and an E4 that’s bigger. The E3 just hit the sweet spot for me.

old_CWO

I know this isn't the most expo-y solution, but our friends with big families just use cabin tents. With that many young'uns around the setup goes easy.

One family we knew (6 kids) had everything packed and ready to go in a basic 4x6 cargo trailer. Hitch up, get groceries and hit the road. Easy peasy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles