Offroad Capable Mainstream Trailer???

Porkchopexpress

I have been surfing websites for potential future purchase similar to what you are looking for and intech RV looks promising. Maybe a little small for you but it has an aluminum frame and torsion suspension.

http://www.intechrv.com/pursue.php

Full featured means with a toilet I assume so maybe intech is out. Personally, I don’t want to haul black water around.

jadmt

ignore button user
I had a 2016 Jayco 195RB baja edition that we lived in full time for 6 months while we were building our house and other than being tall and potentially getting beat up by trees it would handle most forest service type roads as long as they were not too rough. they make one in a 145 baja and 154 which are quite a bit lighter and if not going to live in it would work well. The 195RB has a 3500lb gvwr or there about. I had dual batteries and dual propane tanks and could dry camp for a good amount of time. the biggest draw back was black water tank was like 9 gallons. I will say we lived in it for 6 months with a dog and 3 cats and never had one iota go wrong with the camper. I would give it a 9 out of 10 for being well made.

fungus

Look at a used Fleetwood Evolution E series. I had an E3 with a single piece roof and abused it off-road for years. Sold it four years later for exactly what I paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
I don’t know much about it but the Coleman/Fleetwood appears to be rugged enough for the trails you are considering. Shouldn’t be to heavy for the 4Runner either.

8349adf6bc8702feb44bbb2c7a6f1ffa.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jadmt

ignore button user
That generally sat in one spot though?
If this was meant for me yes, when we were stopped for the night and sleeping it was pretty stationary it would not get rocking too much as we put the floor jacks down....:) yes mostly parked in one place but forest service roads or at least the ones in Montana, Idaho etc would not have been an issue. It would be ideal for a base camp in Moab in camping spots like Kane Creek, Sand flats etc.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
i have looked hard at the E1 and 176 ESP etc but I already have a RTT trailer altho the actual tent trailers would be nice to have the actual room when it is pouring rain etc. I have been more leaning towards an Aliner just because some areas won't allow soft sided campers.

jadmt

ignore button user
Really! Like where? I wonder the reasoning behind the rule.

Yellowstone and Glacier park for two. Reasoning is Yogi bear will try and eat you...soft sided campers are like easy open sandwich packages for bears......easy to open and delicious on the inside. Even places that allow them dont necessarily mean I would want to stay in one in many places.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Really! Like where? I wonder the reasoning behind the rule.

Yellowstone and Glacier park for two. Reasoning is Yogi bear will try and eat you...soft sided campers are like easy open sandwich packages for bears......easy to open and delicious on the inside. Even places that allow them dont necessarily mean I would want to stay in one in many places.

Interesting, but makes sense. I’ve camped in glacier in a tent for a week though. Granted I was primitive camping in the hard to reach areas of the park. Rules might be different in camp grounds.

jadmt

ignore button user
Interesting, but makes sense. I’ve camped in glacier in a tent for a week though. Granted I was primitive camping in the hard to reach areas of the park. Rules might be different in camp grounds.

totally different circumstance.. I live close to both NGP and YS so go to both often. Most people who have pop up campers ultimately do some cooking in them and store food in them at one time or another. Hopefully you have not cooked inside your backpacking tent. Food odors stay inside and a Griz has the sniffing power of who knows what but if there is food they smell it. I do know some people are stupid and ultimately will be bear food. I was jeeping and camping outside of Cook City in the camp ground that had a fatal bear attack the year before and some idiot on a GS was cooking inside his tent (it was sprinkling out). There were signs everywhere warning that there had been a recent bear attack. Go figure.

ttengineer

Adventurer

totally different circumstance.. I live close to both NGP and YS so go to both often. Most people who have pop up campers ultimately do some cooking in them and store food in them at one time or another. Hopefully you have not cooked inside your backpacking tent. Food odors stay inside and a Griz has the sniffing power of who knows what but if there is food they smell it. I do know some people are stupid and ultimately will be bear food. I was jeeping and camping outside of Cook City in the camp ground that had a fatal bear attack the year before and some idiot on a GS was cooking inside his tent (it was sprinkling out). There were signs everywhere warning that there had been a recent bear attack. Go figure.

Like I said, makes sense. And I’d never be dumb enough to cook inside a tent. First, open flames and nylon do not play well together, and I always hang a bear bag at least 300 feet from my tent.

treeman

The new Hiker Extreme Terrain 11

Attachments

• A7D00701-6766-4467-A7B8-1AA966578876.jpeg
    A7D00701-6766-4467-A7B8-1AA966578876.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 207

Desmontes

This is a problem here in the states as camper manufacturers focus more about building campers for either the glamping crowd or the family of 4 with 2 dogs and a cat that want to just go hang out at commercial campgrounds. Most of our parks or commercial campgrounds are serviced by paved roads. I am sure you have noticed that U.S. manufacturers no matter who made them, all have similar floor plans, the trim level and interior materials change. Just like if they have all organized and set standards as to what a camper should look like and include. Whatever they can make quickly and cheap but the average buyer will only use it a few times and then it will sit parked.

Even the trailers that say off road are built just like any other camper with maybe a suspension upgrade of maybe the shocks or tires.
Here is a nice 4 season well built camper that tries to focus on possible off road use but I have my doubts. After a couple of years traveling down roads like you describe, I suspect the camper would be worn out.
http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/

The actual offroad camper buying community is a small niche crowd. There is no profit for large camper manufacturers to focus on. Other than importing one from Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa, where camping is all mostly off road, we are limited to having a camper custom built.

One Australian camper manufacturer has taken a unique step in the U.S. market. Black Series Camper is importing their campers partially built with electrical, plumbing, and interior finished in California. These are highly rugged, true offroad centered designed. They trust their structure so well they offer a 5 year warranty. One of the reasons they are imported partially finished is because of the different electrical and plumbing standards between the countries.

U.S. website
https://www.blackseriescamper.com/index.html
Australian
http://blackseriescampertrailers.com.au/

Once you have located a true offroad capable self contained camper, you are going to notice another problem, weight. Rugged and sturdy construction comes at a price not just dollar wise, but additional weight.
The Black Series 12 and 15 foot campers weigh 1000 pounds more than your capabilities.

You need to do more research, like my wife and I did. The Black Series offered in the US is provided by a Chinese guy who actually makes the product. The Australian people who started Black continue to move through different Chinese suppliers. The reason the Australian company is successful is that they undercut honest manufacturers by stiffing their suppliers. That's why the top rated Aussie caravan, Zone, cost at least twice as much as Black. And as far as I can tell, the Black Series offered in the US does not meet the standards of any applicable certifying body. As I first stated, you should do your own research. (And yes, I'm a lawyer. And and an engineer.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior