Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

stomperxj

Explorer
Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL - Update 12-05-08

**07-02-17 - I am working on getting the pics rehosted since Photobucket just shot themselves in the foot**
**07-26-17 - I got most of the pictures replaced of the build process. If any are missing just visit my site: http://sawtoothent.com/ **

Well I had originally thought about building a sort of Chaser copy and had it all designed but the cost of steel has all but killed that idea. I happened across the "Kinda sorta off road teardrop" thread located HERE by 1speed and eventually found my way over to the Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum located HERE where I found another off road tear by an aussie named SteveF located HERE.

I found a trailer I liked called the Grasshopper and started in with some CAD work and came up with something I really liked. Here are a few screen shots and some construction pics from the last couple weeks...




Here are some frame shots:







New Harbor Freight Auto Darkening hood:



Anyway.... My goal is to have it done by next spring. I'll be doing side jobs and selling some surplus crap I have to fund the rest of it...

Some Specs:
3500# axle 5x4.5 to match XJ
1500# springs
2x2x.120 tube
2x2x.120 angle
Sandwiched plywood walls with insulation
small 12v system
Wheels and tires to match XJ
Track width matches XJ
Sleeping area 48x76

Questions? Comments?

Thanks for looking
Jess
 
Last edited:

TheGillz

Explorer
That is great, I love seeing new builds. If it looks half as cool as the cad, that will be one sweet trailer!
 

TheGillz

Explorer
Oh, another thing in regards to advice or what I see or anthing....It looks like in the cad that you have a spring over axle configuration, but you have spring under on your build...at least so far?
 

stomperxj

Explorer
TheGillz said:
Oh, another thing in regards to advice or what I see or anthing....It looks like in the cad that you have a spring over axle configuration, but you have spring under on your build...at least so far?
Yeah the spring over was drawn up with incorrect dimensions. The spring under will make it sit with the right ride height when the correct tires are on...

Thanks Clark ;)
 

TheGillz

Explorer
stomperxj said:
Yeah the spring over was drawn up with incorrect dimensions. The spring under will make it sit with the right ride height when the correct tires are on...

Thanks Clark ;)
Groovy!

IGOTCHERBACK
 

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Please take this as the constructive it is intended to be.

If the rear door hinge were down around the corner then the door itself wouldn't have that bend in it. I like the bend for the additional height that it gives the "canopy", but foresee it being a weak point in the door.
This would also bring the hinge & door seam down off the top surface where they will be less likely to leak.
 

Photog

Explorer
It agree with NTSQD, from a practicality (function before form) point of view.

May I also throw in another design idea, to an already fantastic looking trailer?

The small door below the cooking area, could hinge to the side, and either pivit to horizontal, with support legs, or have a flip up panel. This would add workspace to your kitchen (an idea like the shelf added on a Land Rover rear door).

Watching with great interest, as this project comes together.:arabia:
 

stomperxj

Explorer
chet said:
thats pretty cool! Nice CAD work as well you even got the wood grain in there!
Thanks chet!

ntsqd said:
Please take this as the constructive it is intended to be.

If the rear door hinge were down around the corner then the door itself wouldn't have that bend in it. I like the bend for the additional height that it gives the "canopy", but foresee it being a weak point in the door.
This would also bring the hinge & door seam down off the top surface where they will be less likely to leak.
I hear you about a weak point on the hatch. I did a revision with a flat door on the back for the galley area and it just didn't look right to me. Plus I need the height so I can stand under the hatch and have some lights mounted up there. Maybe even some small bungee net storage. Originally I had designed the hatch out of wood with a square corner and the strength was brought up on the other forum as well. I plan on making the hatch frame from 1x1x.063 steel square tube so it should be plenty strong. As far as leaks are concerned, I hope my sealing method works ok :)

Thanks for the feedback ntsqd, it is appreciated ;)

Photog said:
It agree with NTSQD, from a practicality (function before form) point of view.

May I also throw in another design idea, to an already fantastic looking trailer?

The small door below the cooking area, could hinge to the side, and either pivit to horizontal, with support legs, or have a flip up panel. This would add workspace to your kitchen (an idea like the shelf added on a Land Rover rear door).

Watching with great interest, as this project comes together.
Thanks Photog - the rear portion of the body there where the door is, is at an angle so splitting it up and hinging it on the sides would make it travel towards the ground when opening. I have thought about a removable table top that i can hook to the side or by the cabinet/counter area on the left as additional counter space.

Thanks for the feedback everyone... multiple sets of eyes are better than the 4 I have any day :)

Jess
 

Ramjet

Explorer
That is one good looking trailer. You're very skilled and talented. Can't wait to see this one come together.
 

1speed

Explorer
Welcome, looks good. I've been watching your build on the teardrop forum. Just came in from installing my Lock-n-Roll hitch, starting the maiden voyage Thursday.
 

Cruiser

Adventurer
Lookin good!! nice to see someone build a grasshopper! well of sorts.. just one question,, those are temp wheels right? they look real close to the frame.. I suspect you will be going with soft8's or something with a little less backspacing than the stock xj wheels? what size tire you planning to end up with??
Cant wait to see this come together..
Steve
 

stomperxj

Explorer
Ramjet said:
That is one good looking trailer. You're very skilled and talented. Can't wait to see this one come together.
Thanks Ramjet

1speed said:
Welcome, looks good. I've been watching your build on the teardrop forum. Just came in from installing my Lock-n-Roll hitch, starting the maiden voyage Thursday.
Thanks 1speed, i read your thread about 40 times while designing this one to see how you did everything too... Thanks for the inspiration ;) Post up on how your ORTD performs. I'd like to know...

Cruiser said:
Lookin good!! nice to see someone build a grasshopper! well of sorts.. just one question,, those are temp wheels right? they look real close to the frame.. I suspect you will be going with soft8's or something with a little less backspacing than the stock xj wheels? what size tire you planning to end up with??
Cant wait to see this come together..
Steve
Thanks Steve... Yes those are just for mock up. I will be using 15x8 soft 8's with 4" bs and 31" tires to match the XJ...

dieselcruiserhead said:
Congrats, that's awesome... I really like the design!
Thanks DC ;)
 
Top