Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

hunteriverson

Questions

New to the thread, I'm planning on building something similar to this this summer, but I am considering making the body out of fiberglass, floor out of sheet metal, and thinking about maybe using some thin-walled tubing to create a skeleton for the fiberglass. I would be planning on welding the skeleton to the frame, and then wrap it with the fiberglass. How do you guys think it would hold up? I am wanting to have use as little tubing as possible for the skeleton. Thanks Guys! This is the best build thread ive seen!

stomperxj

Explorer
New to the thread, I'm planning on building something similar to this this summer, but I am considering making the body out of fiberglass, floor out of sheet metal, and thinking about maybe using some thin-walled tubing to create a skeleton for the fiberglass. I would be planning on welding the skeleton to the frame, and then wrap it with the fiberglass. How do you guys think it would hold up? I am wanting to have use as little tubing as possible for the skeleton. Thanks Guys! This is the best build thread ive seen!

Thanks for the compliments. I'd say if you want to do fiberglass you need to have some sort of core material. I know people have used anything and everything for this including a guy on another forum that built a whole teardrop from thick cardboard with fiberglass on the outside and it worked pretty good. Building up enough fiberglass to make it stiff and strong is going to be expensive so using some sort of core would be more cost effective.

Good luck with your build and start a thread when you get going :)

dales133

Observer
Congrads .
It inspired my build that id about to be finished 2 years after i started!
Its a bit different being an offroad benroy on 33s but this was inspiration none the less

That's great, stomper! I've said it many times before, but this XL was a really cool build, and definitely an inspiration for me as well as many others, I'm sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

stomperxj

Explorer
That's great, stomper! I've said it many times before, but this XL was a really cool build, and definitely an inspiration for me as well as many others, I'm sure.

This is a pretty good community we have here. Glad you got some inspiration from it. I'm enjoying your build so far too (y):)

Very cool. Now to commoditize this somehow and make mad cashola off of it! heh All kidding aside, nice design and its appreciated by many.

I have a friend who was inspired by your shape on his first off road trailer.

I wish I had even a dime for every view :D I have sold 34 sets of plans so I have monetized it a bit. I've paid for almost half of the new trailer with those funds (y)

I'm not sure if you've seen the extent of interest the this build has gained, but I did a general internet search a couple of months ago, and came across this. That led me to looking more, and found that this build is quite a popular "pinned" item. You may or may not have seen it, but, if you haven't, I thought you would appreciate seeing how much interest it's gotten over the years. :) (y) (y)
a9c0838042502ab2ffdd06fbf445c845.jpg

stomperxj

Explorer
I'm not sure if you've seen the extent of interest the this build has gained, but I did a general internet search a couple of months ago, and came across this. That led me to looking more, and found that this build is quite a popular "pinned" item. You may or may not have seen it, but, if you haven't, I thought you would appreciate seeing how much interest it's gotten over the years. :)(y)(y)

Thanks for that. Didn't realize how many pinterest pins there were :) I'm totally blown away by the amount of exposure it has had. I never imagined it would go as far as it has. I was just another guy building a trailer in his garage. I do a search occasionally to see if it has popped up anywhere else. At one point I think I counted 20+ different forums had linked back to this thread. I've seen it pop up in random "off road trailer" compilation videos on Youtube. I had a DIY RV website do an article on it. I've sold 30+ plans to Australia, Brazil, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand and the USA. 1.3M views on the thread. It's incredible and I'm humbled by it :)

I saw that article in DIY RV. That's awesome, man! I saw your customer builds too. Very cool to see it reused, and changed up by different personalities.

Anyway, yeah, I didn't know if you had seen that, so I figured you'd like that. I sure would. Humbling indeed.

andysgreenxj

Observer
I've followed this thread for a few years, and have really been inspired by how yours turned out ..so much, that I'm building one myself. No where near as nice as yours, but I'm giving it a hell of a shot! Here's what it looks like before I put it into storage for the winter...IMG_20181114_140843.jpegIMG_20181114_140824.jpegIMG_20181111_171431.jpegIMG_20181028_171950.jpegIMG_20181028_170806.jpegIMG_20181017_185603.jpeg

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

stomperxj

Explorer
I've followed this thread for a few years, and have really been inspired by how yours turned out ..so much, that I'm building one myself. No where near as nice as yours, but I'm giving it a hell of a shot! Here's what it looks like before I put it into storage for the winter...

Looks really great Andy (y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94