Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

stomperxj

Explorer
Very little work got done this past weekend... I am waiting for my windows to show up so I can finalize my window cutout dimensions. I did do some extremely ghetto looking cardboard/wood mockups of the galley to check counter height and interior foot room. I also decided that the front shelf is getting deleted. Just makes it too tight at the headboard....

CwjrkxI.jpg

Y1xzHLb.jpg

Last edited:

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Looking real good there Jess! And by the way, pocket hole jigs rule!

One thing to consider during your construction is that whenever possible a torsion box approach will help strengthen the overall assembly. On the teardrops that I have built I use an appropriately sized plywood router bit to cut dados in the side walls that accept items such as the floor, the bulkhead between the sleeping compartment and the kitchenette, and storage compartments, etc.

The router bit makes for a nice snug fit and when assembled with glue and screws this method of assembly helps to fight against racking forces between the side walls (vertical components - front to back) and the trailer floor, the cupboard floor, the cupboard front and back pieces (vertical and horizontal pieces - side to side).

Keep up the good work, it's going to look great behind your Cherokee and you'll never go back to a tent. At least I'm not going to after having a teardrop.

Mike

DSCF5497.jpg

masterplumber

Observer
Sorry, don't meen to hijack the thread but I have a question for Mike. Is that teardrop a combination of the 2 Kuffle creek designs? Kind of loos like it from the picture. Building one of those with an AT suspension is my dream build.

Doug

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
masterplumber said:
Sorry, don't meen to hijack the thread but I have a question for Mike. Is that teardrop a combination of the 2 Kuffle creek designs? Kind of loos like it from the picture. Building one of those with an AT suspension is my dream build.

Doug

PM sent.

By the way, adding an AT suspension to one of these little trailers would be quite interesting indeed. Post up when you get it done.

Mike

stomperxj

Explorer
Well I got some stainless for free so I started on my fenders today...

98HqrGp.jpg

About 3.5" of coverage... I'm trying to match what the XJ has for coverage so it all matches...

Also, I ordered my BAL stabilizers and 1 window is here so far...

Slowly but surely :)

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:archaeolo Don't feel bad about using "CARDBOARD" as templates

stomperxj said:
Very little work got done this past weekend... I am waiting for my windows to show up so I can finalize my window cutout dimensions. I did do some extremely ghetto looking cardboard/wood mockups of the galley to check counter height and interior foot room. I also decided that the front shelf is getting deleted. Just makes it too tight at the headboard....

sm-00043.jpg

sm-00044.jpg

It's one of the cheapest, changeable, economical templates we GOT

I've been doing that for years and it's a good "GUESTAMATE" material for home use

Your job is really looking GOOD, the end result will be SPLENDID

:REOutIceFishing: :REOutIceFishing: JIMBO

stomperxj

Explorer
TheGillz said:
That looks nice. Sits nice and level w/ the Jeep.
Thanks Clark...

Well I glued and screwed some inner fender wells together tonight. I'm using Titebond III on all the seams/joints. I borrowed a Skilsaw table saw from a buddy and man its nice using that thing. Nice straight cuts and nice bevels...

H9tjRza.jpg

I'm going to try to get the floor glued at the lap joint and get all the bolt holes drilled and tapped in the frame this weekend...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles