Offroad teardrop?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
A couple of years ago we ran into a guy at the Empire gas station, just south of the Black Rock Desert. He and his wife had been camping on and around the Plya for the previous week in a neat home-built tear drop trailer. He was towing it with a SOA FJ40. The trailer was built to tow flat, also SOA.

Anybody have any thoughts on this approach to an expedition trailer?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
offroadchef said:
Check this site out. He did it. http://www.outbackteardrop.com/

Also a few years ago someone who builds them was at Sierra Trek (CAL4Wheel Event) as a vendor, Not sure who it was. Will try to find out more if you like.

Markus
I think the guy I talked to built his from that site.

I know of Sierra Trek, I'm in Reno. I'd be interested in hearing about a purchased option. Any idea if this guy has a web site?

offroadchef

Adventurer
the outbackteardrop.com site is just about the build of it, I think. It was for his own use. In regards to the one at Trek, I will have to call and ask.

Markus

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
T@B trailers 21Jan

Here in Tucson, Az. I have seen these just off I-10. I considered this before I set about building my own. I thought the wheel-wells were too small to accomidate anything larger then the 14" tire it comes with and I saw from looking the bottom-light metal-that it would not tolerate off-roading very well. Even with a lift. I did like the clam-shell door in the rear that opens to reveal a nice kitchen. 3-way refrig, 2-burner stove and a sink. They ran about $12K+. The yellow and silver combo and the orange and silver paint combos were cool, I thought. Even had a/c for those balmy days. Heater. Some models had the kitchen on the inside. Anyone over 6' need not apply! IMHO :coffee:

RoundOut

Explorer
Teardrop trailers

There's a whole lot full of teardrop trailers at a new vendor in northwest Houston, off FM 1960, near Kuykendahl. I'll get a picture next time I go by there. At a quick glance, they looked more like they are for towing behind large motorcycles, though. I didn't have a chance to inspect the clearance or tire configurations closely before the light changed.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
RoundOut said:
There's a whole lot full of teardrop trailers at a new vendor in northwest Houston, off FM 1960, near Kuykendahl. I'll get a picture next time I go by there. At a quick glance, they looked more like they are for towing behind large motorcycles, though. I didn't have a chance to inspect the clearance or tire configurations closely before the light changed.
I think the biggest part of the market for these trailers is motorcyclist and hot rodders. Any commercial units I have seen would need some modification for offroad use.

These units were originaly designed to built as DIY projects. I'd love to see somebody adapt the design and build one for expedition use.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Teardrop Kits

There's a small company not too far from where our shop is that makes really beautiful teardrops. They use a CNC router for fabricating their parts so the quality is meticulous. I know that they also offer a kit version for those with more time than money. I have contemplated mounting one to a Chaser chassis for fun...alas...the time for me is elusive

Check them out at http://www.socalteardrops.com/index.html

RoundOut

Explorer
Here's the Houston dealer

I drove by their facility tonight and took some photos with my phone. Sorry if the resolution isn't that great. I spoke to the proprieter and asked him about putting them on a more sturdy off-road platform and they said that they had put some on a leaf-springed axle with bigger tires before. I was impressed by some of the bells and whistles they had. Most of these were "tailgate party" rigs. Note the Aggie and Texan schemes. They had one in the camouflage scheme, too.
Note the catchy saying "I go where I'm Towed.":exclaim:
I especially liked the built in tap, LOL. :coffeedrink: :friday:

Here's a link to a dealer website with prices for some of the models I took pictures of.

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Aside from the beer tapper what do you guys think about the general configuration of the teardrop for rough country touring?

I like:
Easy set-up.
Nice kitchen area.
Hard side for securty
No ladder to climb to get into/out of bed.
Light weight.
Self contained H2O/propane

I dislike:
Not as robust as a Mil trailer
No extra storage for fuel
A bit cramped inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior