Oh boy. -NOW a build thread

deminimis

Explorer
Went as high as I could go due to the front fuel sump with repositioning it. I used 2x2x1/4 angle for my plasma cutting guide (you can see it in the first photo above, behind the fuel sump hole). 2x4x1/4 bridged between crossmembers provided the mounting spots for the inners. For outers, I welded in 2 x1/4 behind the FB edge for a flat surface. 1x1/4 keeps the front suspended (not seen in the pics). Bolts front and rear, outside top corners, will keep the boxes from moving forward and aft (washers will be used to tune the front spacing between the cutouts. I do have to reposition the rear inner mount as it is too far in (any excuse to fire up the plasma cutter). Due to the arm's length laundry list I still have to complete, I may not get the driver's side box installed. If weather holds up (not windy), I may have a chance. I have to reposition the bracket and complete the waste valve nightmare tonight. Tomorrow, I have to do another 250mi round trip to pick up the large boxes for the deck, install a new solar controller, etc. And for you welders out there, yes, I welded a "C" clamp in place once yesterday (not the first time, nor the last I'm sure).

First box test fit (not fully seated and not fully forward):

upload_-1

upload_-1

Bottom is well above the muffler. Once I raise the bed, I'll have ample clearance.

Last edited:

deminimis

Explorer
Thanks Capt. Was looking for a full 6" between tires and boxes, but had to compromise. Bed is not square with the truck and there's a little too much business going on where the bed tapers at the front (guessets, etc) to mess with now. When I try to fix this crappy bed this Summer, the box will be another 1.5" forward and hopefully .5" more to the inside. Out of time now (plumbing fiasco ate up too many precious days, but now all new and improved), so no driver side underbody box this trip. Top boxes, rubber mat, new solar controller, and improved locks tomorrow night, then clean, pack and gone.

deminimis

Explorer
Made the time to install the driver side underbody box. Boxes are above the front fuel tank and muffler, so height is okay. Top boxes went on nicely. New upgraded solar controller is great (not cooking the new batts). Propane all hooked back up, and installed a quick connect feed for the grill. I was discouraged as I couldn't find a place to mount my Hi Lift. Duh, it fits inside the lower box with a tiny bit of room to spare. Installed leftover 1/4 rubber in the lower boxes (bottom and a few inched up the ends). I've got a number of strap eyes, so I'll install those down the road so I can secure the 20-ton bottle jack and other heavy items in the boxes. Sink facet leaks and a new O ring didn't cure it (cheap RV facet). I'll snag a decent facet at a HD that is about two hours south of here (along with a decent air compressor as OBA is further down the to-do list), and a new cordless drill (just killed the one I had). I did not get a chance to finish out the rear of the camper sides (diamond plate). I'll manage the unfinished camper shame somehow. Just a few more tweaks and finish packing this afternoon and we'll be off on it's maiden voyage.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Please drill weep holes in your boxes. I check one of my lower boxes today. Water to the bottom of the hinges. I had all ready drilled holes in the top boxes. Just forgot the lower. High humidity and changing temps cause a lot of condensation inside the boxes.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
That view makes it all worth while.. Some times you just have to stop working and use the truck. Even if it not perfect. Your looks perfect it that setting.

deminimis

Explorer
Got some axle weights at the end of the trip. 3/4 water, 3/4+ fuel, and stuffed to the gills. A bit under 7k front (front axle is rated at 7k) and 11.5k rear (rear axle is rated 13.5k). I knew it would be close. Next (as far as bolt-on goodies go), rear air bags and 2" front leveling kit. Down the road, a second solar panel and an inverter (although I haven't decided which -Had a Xantrex Prosine 2000 before that never missed a beat, but I understand the quality has slipped a lot, and a Xantrex Freedom that wasn't so awesome. Might try a smallish Go Power and see how that does this time). Batts never dropped below 12.6 over night (other than the occasional led light being switched on, the fantastic fan ran all night), but that was with full, intense, sunny days. A second panel would be welcomed for the overcast mountain skiing days. Considering adding an exterior double batt box that I'd plug into the system with an appropriately rated quick connector.
s-l1000.jpg

Other than those mild mods/additions, and some more serious flatbed work, that will probably do it for the most part for now. I need to turn my attention back to our Chenowth Explorer buggy (finish up the suspension rework, new powerplant (Subie likely), etc.) as I've neglected that project for much, much too long.

Chenowth.jpg

trackhead

Adventurer
Have any pics of your rig out and about? Interior pics?

Curious what it looks like next to other vehicles, etc, just to get a better idea of scale.

deminimis

Explorer
These about a close to a scale shot as I can muster. I was rather lax when it came to taking photos this trip.

upload_-1

upload_-1

deminimis

Explorer
Been busy just using our camper, etc. Finally took a moment to trim out one on the rear sides. Actually took the better part of the afternoon to get it right, but at least I've got a template for the other side now. Looks okay I think and way better than without it.

upload_-1.jpg

Last week, I spent a lot of time cutting and fitting so I could finally install my Super Hitch (the Bradford hitch was a joke and I need an extension).

upload_-1.jpg

I previously modded this extension (made it as short as possible to increase capacity (set it up to work with our former Dmax and Bigfoot)). Luckily, it ended up being the right length for our current setup as well.

upload_-1.jpg

After I trim out the other side, an Olympian heater is next on the list (just not sure where I can mount it yet).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94