Oh, the joys of vehicle shopping....

D

Deleted member 9101

When I bought my wife's Fusion they tried to do the warranty scare tactics with me. He claimed it was over 2,000 to replace the "radio" if it went out. I found a new ACM and screen for under 100.00 each on eBay, on my phone, while he was still talking. Then I slid the phone across his desk and said... No thank you...parts are cheaper than a warranty. He glared at me for the rest of the time we were in his office....lol.

shade

I tell the F&I Guy I'll say the nicest things about him if he just lets me sign the declination form so he can stop wasting my time, and that if I was that concerned about needing a service contract, I wouldn't be buying that car in the first place.

I'm grumpy enough at that point that they usually take me seriously, and we're done with it.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
My father in law always pays cash for his new vehicles. Every 6 years or so he buys a new truck (usually top of the line), his previous one usually is over 200k by that point. He called his favored dealership, and told them he was coming by in 4 days, and to have at least three options up front for test drives, as he was going to buy whichever he liked, generally for whatever the current best factory pricing deal there is. They assure him they will comply. He drives 2.5 hours to the medium sized dealership. Not only did they tell him to fetch his own test drive vehicles, they didn't have a salesperson available for him! I guess they make that much more money from financed vehicles (it can be up to $2,000 per loan!). In fact that specific dealer become known for turning down cash sales at the going discount rate, as they simply didn't make enough money!

The same thing happened with my mother buying a new SUV. My father mentioned it was a cash sale at one dealership, and they simply didn't return their calls. Learned that lesson quick. Get all the way to the end, lead em on, then smile and cut em a check! The look on the salespersons face must have been priceless.

shade

I was recently told, "We won't sell a car that's going to be registered out-of-state unless you finance the sales tax through us." Last I checked, that's my problem at the DMV, not theirs. Anything to get me to finance a few more dollars through them.

I wrote the dealership a check for the sales tax and took my receipt to the DMV. :)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
***FINGERS CROSSED****

Looks like I found the truck. I've never done a "fly and drive" before so this will be a new experience for me. Will fly from DEN to SLC on Saturday morning, dealer will pick me up, take me to the dealership to do the paperwork and then I'm off. With the 36 gallon tank I shouldn't even need to stop for gas on the way home.

For safety reasons, wife urged me to book a hotel room at the halfway point even though I'm 100% sure I could make the 8+ hour drive in a day (back when I was in the Army I would do the Denver-to-Fort Bragg NC drive in 2 days. That's 1700 miles, 2 x 850 mile days back-to-back, in a Mitsubishi Montero with no cruise control and no AC!

But then again, that was 25+ years ago so she is probably right. ;)

Truck is a 2018 with the 3.5 EB. Has everything I want and nothing I don't. 17k miles. It's red which is going to be weird for me. Other than my maroon 4runner I haven't owned a red car or truck since 1985. Hoping this one will last a good long time and do a great job hauling our trailer all over the Rocky Mountains!

Cackalak Han

Explorer
***FINGERS CROSSED****

Looks like I found the truck. I've never done a "fly and drive" before so this will be a new experience for me. Will fly from DEN to SLC on Saturday morning, dealer will pick me up, take me to the dealership to do the paperwork and then I'm off. With the 36 gallon tank I shouldn't even need to stop for gas on the way home.

For safety reasons, wife urged me to book a hotel room at the halfway point even though I'm 100% sure I could make the 8+ hour drive in a day (back when I was in the Army I would do the Denver-to-Fort Bragg NC drive in 2 days. That's 1700 miles, 2 x 850 mile days back-to-back, in a Mitsubishi Montero with no cruise control and no AC!

Truck is a 2018 with the 3.5 EB. Has everything I want and nothing I don't. 17k miles. It's red which is going to be weird for me. Other than my maroon 4runner I haven't owned a red car or truck since 1985. Hoping this one will last a good long time and do a great job hauling our trailer all over the Rocky Mountains!
If you do go used, check Carfax. Not for accidents. But to see where it’s from. There are a ton of salt/rust belt trucks being bought at auction and sold out near your area (western states), where they can get more money for them. Rust belt not only includes the NE, but also lots of Canadian trucks being imported.

As mentioned before, check the Carfax. If this is the same truck you're looking at, it's from Canada. Lots of (rusty) trucks coming to the states from up there. Granted it's only now ~1.5 years old, I wouldn't touch one, personally. The carfax link is right on the dealer site.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
As mentioned before, check the Carfax. If this is the same truck you're looking at, it's from Canada. Lots of (rusty) trucks coming to the states from up there. Granted it's only now ~1.5 years old, I wouldn't touch one, personally. The carfax link is right on the dealer site.
Depends on the part of Canada it's coming from..... Not all provinces / territories use salt. Typically it's only the eastern provinces.

My 2015 still looks good... Hell, our 2011 Tuscon stil looks great.....

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
***FINGERS CROSSED****

Congrats! Can't wait to see pics! Is it the 'red, red' or the Burgundy 'sport' red?

I guess I'm alone here. I typically like to insure and warranty everything. I have that, 'I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it' mentality...

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Depends on the part of Canada it's coming from..... Not all provinces / territories use salt. Typically it's only the eastern provinces.

My 2015 still looks good... Hell, our 2011 Tuscon stil looks great.....

It was my understanding places near Calgory (Airdrie, AB to be exact) uses salt quite heavily? I could be mistaken. But lots coming from that providence.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member

yes depends where it is from. A lot of truck are coming from Alberta from what I understand.

I really wish I knew how to import one of these new trucks from Canada, as they are a lot cheaper up there. I haven't really looked into it too much but I have heard plenty of stories of dealers sending truck to the USA.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

Rust doesn't really bother me on a truck this new. Did you see pictures of my Suburban when I bought it in 2015? It had spent its first 8 years in MN. There was surface rust all over the rear frame, bottom of the doors, etc. It never got worse and never caused any problems. And I bought that truck at 11 years old and 136k miles. None of the problems I had with the 'Burb were related to rust in any way. They were all more related to age and miles. Given that this one only has 17k on it, I can't imagine it's too bad and being in CO it won't get any worse.

I will ask the salesman for some photos of the undercarriage though.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's from Alberta per the Carfax. I did ask for some photos of the underside for possible rust.

I'm sure it's fine. Probably has the Tru-Coat on it. "Ya know they put that on at the factory...." :LOL:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
yes depends where it is from. A lot of truck are coming from Alberta from what I understand.

I really wish I knew how to import one of these new trucks from Canada, as they are a lot cheaper up there. I haven't really looked into it too much but I have heard plenty of stories of dealers sending truck to the USA.

There are lots of dealers with these Canadian trucks. Even small ones. I'm assuming there is a huge importer selling them at auctions. I haven't seen any new vehicles, though (not sure if you are asking about new or used)--all are used.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
It's from Alberta per the Carfax. I did ask for some photos of the underside for possible rust.

I'm sure it's fine. Probably has the Tru-Coat on it. "Ya know they put that on at the factory...." :LOL:

I've seen some shady dealers spray pretty much the whole underside with black spray paint. It's very obvious, but maybe not to most buyers. The dealer you're buying from seems to have good reviews, though.

Good luck. Take I70 back and hit some national parks along the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne