Ok folks Kodiak or Springbar ?

digitalnomad

I camp in the Kodiak Canvas bowflex 10' X 14' VX 8 man tent that has the extra windows. It is very, very nice in hot weather when there is a breeze. With all the windows down it makes me feel connected to nature. It is also nice to have the door open when the tent is positioned in view of the fire ring. Then at night having a fire with the clear view is entertaining (when there are no bugs). The tent is extremely strong compared to a wallyworld tent. But for a hard-core outdoorsman, it is not a good tent and I'll tell you why.

The Kodiak Canvas collapsed when I was inside. It was very inconvenient and uncomfortable to handle an emergency exit with all my ******** (expensive computer gear, cables, bedding and table) inside and the roof caved in. The camp host suggested I contact the manufacturer since it was 3 weeks old and I'm glad I did. Kodiak shipped me another tent body within a week.

All is good again, until it rained about .5” in a days time. It leaked inside and support said that was expected and to season the tent by getting it wet. The rain should have done this she said so the experience was a onetime thing.

Next outing, it rained and leaked again. Support said go buy a product and treat the tent. This $700 tent isn't water proof? I read the owner’s manual and sure enough it is not waterproof. It says right in there it can leak. I wish I would have known that. I called Kodiak Canvas before purchase to ask if it was going to hold up to wind and rain in the Great Basin and which model would be the best fit for my needs. She “helped” me pick one and said "read the reviews". So naive of me to follow her guidance. All glowing reviews and a couple reviews with issues that I later experienced first-hand, but I had dismissed those problems in the reviews because of the number of all the super glorious reviews.

It is still a good tent in that it will withstand 20-30 mph wind gusts standing over 6' and it is very breathable, but don't listen to the reviews on Amazon. I'd get a Springbar if I were to do it again. Springbar offers a version that is hand made with materials and labor sourced in the USA, but the Springbar doesn't look as good and has less ventilation. The Springbar has much, much better seams and connections to the D-Rings that are staked to the ground. The square windows look eh, but I think they are much more functional to use. Function over looks. Very important. The Kodak Canvas looks a lot like a Springbar rip-off made in China. My seams at the D-Ring are tearing and the tent is about 6 months old. I don’t want to spend $1,500 for two tents in one year. Pics below of the defective seam tear when the tent fell, a pic of a huge puddle from a rain storm and a good pic (for balance). What I do now is when the weather predicts gusts of 40 MPH or more, I drop the tent and put mice traps around it. Mice like to eat holes the noseeum mesh.

Attachments

• 20181130_081814.jpg
    20181130_081814.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180511_185516.jpg
    20180511_185516.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180613_151817.jpg
    20180613_151817.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
I have camped in my Kodiak 10×14 VX for the past 5 years in ALL kinds of weather including heavy winds, rain and snow. Never had any problems, ZILCH.

Key points are, FOLLOW the instructions and season the waterproof membrane BEFORE you tent in it. And, STAKE it down properly with ALL the stakes, so it doesn't collapse. These tents use the tension from properly anchored stakes to create tension and keep them upright.

If you are expecting a gale, simply guy it out with additional stakes.

While I do not own a Springbar, and will certainly not begrudge them. However, I do believe they are just as good. Both companies are American, staffed by Americans and use imported materials, so the USA vs China is a moot point. Key differences would be the Springbars are assembled in the USA and cost more.

At the end of the day, are you would be happy with either brand as both are quality products and should last a very long time.

Last edited:

digitalnomad

I have camped in my Kodiak 10×14 VX for the past 5 years in ALL kinds of weather including heavy winds, rain and snow. Never had any problems, ZILCH.

Key points are, FOLLOW the instructions and season the waterproof membrane BEFORE you tent in it. And, STAKE it down properly with ALL the stakes, so it doesn't collapse. These tents use the tension from properly anchored stakes to create tension and keep them upright.

If you are expecting a gale, simply guy it out with additional stakes.

While I do not own a Springbar, and will certainly not begrudge them. However, I do believe they are just as good. Both companies are American, staffed by Americans and use imported materials, so the USA vs China is a moot point. Key differences would be the Springbars are assembled in the USA and cost more.

At the end of the day, are you would be happy with either brand as both are quality products and should last a very long time.

Do you mean the Kodiak failures I had are my fault? I don't see where you are coming from. The ripped seam when the Kodiak failed was at the flexbow seam as pictured and not by the tent stake. Kodiak admitted to the defects. The tent was sprayed with water repellent and still failed with that huge puddle as pictured. The springbar brand does offer a hand made tent with all materials and labor sourced in the USA, not China.

Last edited:
Do you mean the Kodiak failures I had are my fault? I don't see where you are coming from. The ripped seam when the Kodiak failed was at the flexbow seam as pictured and not by the tent stake. Kodiak admitted to the defects. The tent was sprayed with water repellent and still failed with that huge puddle as pictured. The springbar brand does offer a hand made tent with all materials and labor sourced in the USA, not China.
I don't know you nor was I there... so I can not speak to your faults or failures.

I spoke of my experiences, as one typically does on a forum seeking input from others.

Kodiak and Springbar canvas model tents that require tension from stakes to remain erect need all of their staking points staked properly or they CAN fail.

Kodiak and Springbar canvas tents need to be "seasoned" prior to actual use to ensure they are water resisitant. Failure to do so, and they CAN leak.

This "seasoning" process is simple. You set it up in you backard, and wet it down thoroughly and let it dry completely. Done. Nothing more.

That initial seasoning does NOT involve spraying it with any type of waterproofing chemicals or substances when it is new.

After hard use, age, or both you can retreat the canvas with a waterproofing product.

Finally, and per Springbar themselves, some of their tents are in fact made in a "high quality factory near Yangzhou, China."

Last time I checked, "Yangzhou, China" was not located in Utah or any other state of this Union.

I still think that the OP should be happy with either choice in canvas tension type tent. He just needs to weigh the importance of the fine details, purchase cost, shipping charges and perhaps delivery timeframes and decide.

Last edited:

ohmyback

4 years with our Kodiak 10 x 14, no issues. I did season it before first use and store it in a temperature controlled room with no rodents. For as often as we use it I could not justify the Springbar price. We have camped in Tetons , Yellowstone, Black Hills and Glacier. Handled light snow load well. Withstood a couple of pretty strong Thunderstorms with a lot of rain. I think they are both good products.

LiamO86

Glad I found this thread, as I think I am going to pull the trigger on a 10x14 Kodiak Deluxe XV for my small family. I think I will spring for the canvas floor liner and the additional porch vestibule. We are a family of 3 with a medium sized dog. Our daughter just turned 1. Most camping will be in dispersed BLM / Nat'l forest in Idaho, WY and UT.

With the new addition, we will most likely base camp and do day trips from there instead of our usual different camp spot each night. One of the major drawbacks is obviously the weight of the tent, but overall seems like a small inconvenience. Initially, we were thinking of getting a truck camper for my 2005 Tundra, or small travel trailer, but I think keeping it simple is good for now.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Glad I found this thread, as I think I am going to pull the trigger on a 10x14 Kodiak Deluxe XV for my small family. I think I will spring for the canvas floor liner and the additional porch vestibule. We are a family of 3 with a medium sized dog. Our daughter just turned 1. Most camping will be in dispersed BLM / Nat'l forest in Idaho, WY and UT.

With the new addition, we will most likely base camp and do day trips from there instead of our usual different camp spot each night. One of the major drawbacks is obviously the weight of the tent, but overall seems like a small inconvenience. Initially, we were thinking of getting a truck camper for my 2005 Tundra, or small travel trailer, but I think keeping it simple is good for now.

I don't know where you live but I still have my practically brand new 10x14 Kodiak. My kids are all grown and moved away. This tent is too big for just me. PM me if interested. I am on the east coast.

Moody

Needs to get out more
FWIW: Springbar was designed, sewn, and sold through their store in Salt Lake City. Having camped in both, (I own a Springbar Traveler) I would choose the Springbar again and again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles