OK, So No More Diehard Platinums, What To Get Now?

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
A friend needed a battery for his truck. I thought I had the easy answer: "A Sears Diehard Platinum! They are rebadged Odysseys for $100 less!" A bit later he told me Sears said they quit selling them about a year ago. What would be a good alternative?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Depends on size. In Grp 31, get Northstar. Grp 65 or smaller, go Odyssey or Northstar. If budget is an issue, go with Optima or Deka.

toddz69

Explorer
Well, you can spend the $$ for an Odyssey. I also like Deka Intimidators - US made and a great reputation. They are also rebadged and sold at O'Reillys if you have those in your neighborhood.

Todd Z.

dms1

Explorer
I just replaced my Diehard Platinum in my 99 4Runner with an Odyssey PC1500T, so far so good.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
My Diehard Platinum crapped out 2017 Fall. Of course I was pinched for cash with an upcoming kidney transplant in January. I spoke with a buddy that works at an Autozone. He told me to go in to the local one and ask if there are any expired batteries. He said they sell them for $50. It was my lucky day! There was the proper-sized AGM there that is normally $200+. I know one of the local guys also. He got a $5 off discount for me too. So far, so good!

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I'm using the Duracell AGMs in my boat now that the sears batteries are gone. They work well and are super cheap at Sams Club.

Last edited:

comptiger5000

Adventurer
If you want a fancy AGM, it's Odyssey or Northstar (sold as X2 Power at Batteries Plus). Otherwise, try to find any AGM made by East Penn (they're usually better than Exide or Johnson Controls produced batteries). Last I knew, the Duracell brand AGMs are East Penn, as are the West Marine house brand (SeaVolt) AGMs. Deka is made by East Penn too.

Personally, I have an X2 Power group 34 in the Jeep (replaced an East Penn made Duracell) and we run the SeaVolt AGMs in the boat.

Last edited:

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Optima has been my choice even through their "they've gone to crap" internet phase. I have never had an issue with any of them both pre and post move to Mexico. For the money they really perform. I like the Optima's, Deka's and Stingers (audio market). If you are just running one battery, fit the biggest one you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles