Old Betsy #5 (Mitsu Pajero diesel build)

78Bronco

Explorer
Hey man love your truck. How difficult do you find it to get parts in here in Canada? I from BC as well and I think the Pajeros are really neat with the diesel. Have you used it in the real cold yet -30C or not. I'd be curious as to how the small diesels handle it.

Doable but would suggest a block heater during prolonged exposure to low temps.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Doable but would suggest a block heater during prolonged exposure to low temps.

Not too bad to find parts for, since there are so many JDM part suppliers now. Esp in BC. And of course the rest of the truck shares with the USDM Montero.

As far as starting, I had an oil pan hear only, and last winter at weeks of -30*C, it fired up first time, very little smoke. My truck has the winter package, which includes insulated fuel lines, and a filter heater too, near as I can tell.

My previous Paj had the 4D56, and needed a plugged in block heater to avoid a big smokeshow on cold mornings, but this truck truly does not mind the cold - my block heater is sitting on my bench, and may not get installed at all. The oil pan heater is all it seems to need...

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Update! It has been a LONG time since I've updated this thread...

I finally found a roof rack... Surco Safari rack. Its light duty, yes. But its LIGHT. I hate increasing the cog, so a nice light rack like the Surco is exactly what I wanted... found it used, with the tire carrier included. I may carry a second spare for the Moab trip, but otherwise, I'll be carrying lightweights up there, like my tentcot (in a rooftop bag).

This is the only shot I have right now, when towing home my Galant parts car, for my other little 4x4 project...

67080_489351367024_537117024_7245531_1264599_n.jpg

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Working on a few mods for OlBetsy, and some TLC...

Haven't updated in a while, but have been working on a few things...

-I have a locker sitting in my garage, still trying to find the locker ECU, and then I'll put it in.
locking3rd.jpg

-did some maintenance this summer: painted the frame rails, put in all new balljoints, idler/pitman arms, tierods/sleeves, on both sides. And replaced two cv boots...

-painted the grille (orig silver) with black plastic etching paint.

Currently looking for a fridge to install on slides in the back. Its difficult to find affordable fridge solutions up here in Canada...

Cruisn

Adventurer
maybe worth looking into fridges form OzÉ you can get waeco or engel here for decent prices. find them on ebay even, great quality. I have an 80L waeco fridge freezer. works a treat. I have a build of my 90 Pajero on here to. Will be driving it home to edmonton once done here.

scrubber3

Not really here
Just an FYI, you don't need the ECU for the locker to work. Just wire the switch to a 12v source.

This is what I'm doing. I was sure to get a switch that lights up and has one of those flip up covers on it too. Got everything hooked in and wired up if you need some advice on it feel free to PM me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94