Old Coleman stoves on e-Bay vs. New

namsag

Hello I am looking at getting a Coleman liquid fuel stove. I do not want to be hauling propane canisters around, small or large. I have been doing a lot of reading on this and other sites. I think I am going to look at some of the old stuff because I have looked at the new Guide Series Powerhouse in the stores and I have been underwhelmed at its construction vs. what I remember as a kid growing up in the '70s. Going to have to look on e-Bay because there does not seem to be much around here unless I scour all the local yard sales, which I don't have time to do. I am interested in a vintage Model 413/414 or 426/428. Before I dive in I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

First, people complain that construction of Coleman stoves has gotten flimsier over the years and I would have to agree. But what about the actual performance of the new stoves? How does it compare to the "good old" ones in terms of reliability, ease of lighting, longevity, heat produced?

Second, can anyone recommend or direct me to some of the more reliable sellers of this stuff on e-Bay? Hard to tell just from the ads who's honest and reliable and who isn't.

Any advice/information appreciated, thanks, namsag.

jonnyquest

Adventurer
I'm a firm believer in old Coleman stoves and lanterns. I have some 90's stuff. A two mantle lantern and two 2 burner stoves. The lantern is waiting for some replacement parts. When it was a few years old it developed a problem. I can still use it, but I've set it aside till it's 100%. In the meantime, I'm using an 80's Coleman "backpacking" lantern. It works fine. One of the stoves is waiting for a rebuild. The other works just fine. I have my father's 60's lantern and stove. I haven't done anything with them yet, but plan to rebuild them. The 60's stuff is sturdier and I think will outlast me. The 90's stuff doesn't have the same character, but is likely to last a long time too. I LOVE searching eBay for Coleman stuff and have bought some good things. There is an authoritative source of information and parts, http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/home.php. Mike, owner of oldcolemanparts also sells stuff on eBay, but not real often. His stuff is exactly as described. There is also a forum, http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ that has tons of information AND a for sale/trade section. When I'm looking at stuff on eBay, I'll make a decision based on the pictures, description, and sellers feedback and number of sales. I think you're more likely to get a good deal from an individual that is selling his own stuff vs a dealer, but not necessarily. A dealer will have a longer record and more feedback. There is a LOT of "rare, vintage" expensive CRAP on ebay. There is also a LOT of truly "rare, vintage" mint, unused stuff for INCREDIBLY high prices, that I wish I could afford, but probably wouldn't buy anyway just because it's so expensive. Have fun. Coleman stuff is useful and fun. Oh yeah, check out http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-coleman-thread.406982/. Lots of good info there.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Hit some flea markets. Odds are really good you'll find one there as I see them all the time at flea markets.

TwinStick

Explorer
I have 2 Coleman 2 burner propane camp stoves. One from the early 80's & one from w-mart a few years back. Both still work awesome. Just used them last week. The newer one has the 12,000 btu burners, so it gets hot (boils water) a little quicker than the old one. I replaced the o-ring once on the old one (used one from a HF o-ring kit). No issues since. Good stuff. I have had my eye on the one with the middle burner as well. Don't care for the pot/pan grid on it though.

goin camping

Explorer
Picked up a two burner stove from the 60's at a garage sale for $3.00 years ago. Still works great and gets used often.

AaronK

Explorer
My buddy scored one out of a pile of stuff a mutual friend was getting rid of. Still had fuel in it probably ten+ years old. Fired right up.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The only issue I have run into with the older stoves is the leather gasket for the pump that pressurizes the tank tends to dry out and need replacement. There are some good youtube videos on how to rehabilitate them.

Old or new the liquid fuel stoves are pretty bombproof.

AndrewP

Explorer
Hmmm...Every Craigs list has Coleman stoves all day long for $20. They are all good.

An old stove will usually need just 2 things. A new gasket for the cap(or a new cap, widely available), and a new leather for the pump. Old leathers can be rehabilitated but the leathers from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-COLEMAN-L...THER-WASHER-/280628603850?hash=item4156c4abca

They are much better than the originals and will last you the rest of your life.

I exclusively cook on Coleman stoves, and my standard thing is to get a new stove, clean out the fuel tank, replace the pump leather and cap gasket, and just use. Occasionally, the stoves need a new generator.

You gotta decide if you want 1, 2, or 3 burners and in the 2 burners if yo want a small one, or a big one.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
To the original question, I don't tend to find much difference in cooking on the old vs the newer ones. Burners, function, design haven't changed much. Where you see the difference with materials in the outer shell, and a few things that were metal turn to plastic. I think my newest one is from the 90s, but you can tell some difference from my 60s-70s couple I have, they feel more stout. Can't tell you on a brand new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles