Old G-wagon brochures and options information?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have a link to the old G-wagon brochures and options somewhere squirreled away in PDF or pictures? I am specifically looking for tech information on the various commerical options available to increase payload and durability when used in an off-highway primary use. Tom Sheppard eludes to this when writing about building his last G-wagon. Thank you for any help.

Metric

I’m not sure which docs you are referring to specifically. There are some guys on pointedthree and clubgwagen forums who might have something.

How did Tom Sheppard modify his G? Is there a link?

There is a chart that plots the spring rates for the various springs available for Gwagens. Gwagen springs are denoted by colored stripes. People often mix colors front and rear.

Outside of the various spring choices, I can’t really think of any other factory options for payload. The Gwagens in every form are already very durable off highway

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I’m not sure which docs you are referring to specifically. There are some guys on pointedthree and clubgwagen forums who might have something.

How did Tom Sheppard modify his G? Is there a link?

There is a chart that plots the spring rates for the various springs available for Gwagens. Gwagen springs are denoted by colored stripes. People often mix colors front and rear.

Outside of the various spring choices, I can’t really think of any other factory options for payload. The Gwagens in every form are already very durable off highway

Mr. Sheppard was talking about being able to order his G-wagon with options from the factory to have stuff like extra factory rated payload for instance. Perhaps a different rear axle, the long wheelbase 3-door configuration with the panel sides, etc.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Lots of options available in Europe and the Rest Of the World, but not in North America.

Metric

The w460 chassis (1979-1989) basically used the same axles for every model. In some cases there are front axles with no locker. There were various R&P gears depending on motor and transmission combo, and of course there were some improvements over the course of this period, but it’s not like there was an option for 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton etc.

The w463 chassis (1990+) uses axles that are improved (and slightly wider) over the w460 axles. But the w463 axles are again basically all the same aside from R&P variations.

Over the years the primary variation in payload has come from the different springs that have been available. I’ll look for the spring rate charts and post them here.

There is also a thread on CGW that covers the various OE and aftermarket trailer hitches available. I’ll post a link when I find it

The LWB panel trucks are known as Kastenwagens. Cool trucks and I think they often came with 5.28 axles.

I haven’t mentioned military class Gwagens (w461). There are many variations over the years. Too many and usually undocumented.

otiswesty

Regular guy
There are lots of other 461 axle options like wide axles, reinforced or bottle axles with or without wheel studs (often called bolt axles). Also larger HD drum brakes.

Other interesting 460/461 options include the PTO on the transfer case, the factory front bumper mounted Rotzler winch, solar second roof panel, and roof hatch are some of the more interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles