Old Rovers Too Feeble?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Its an easy mistake to make. It doesnt say Fiskar of Gerber on it so the gear whores would not know what it actually is...

(yes, I know its an oil spout)

I favor a nice custom titanium oil spout for my stock of fine vintage motor oil. . .

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Its an easy mistake to make. It doesnt say Fiskar of Gerber on it so the gear whores would not know what it actually is...
(yes, I know its an oil spout)

It's instantly recognizable if held to a non-feeble roof rack or bull bar with the appropriate quick fist.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I favor a nice custom titanium oil spout for my stock of fine vintage motor oil. . .
I'll admit it, I bought a nice shiny chrome oil can spout with a posh rubber seal for the can opening.........about a year before the cans that needed them were completely phased out of production. The early 80's equivalent of a titanium one I guess.
I still have it.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I guess we think in terms of what we hear you talk about and post about...like the Trek Disco and I think there were some Range Rovers or newer Land Rovers in there. So it makes it seem like you go through more rigs than maybe you really do.

I'm just another guy doing his job. It looks all glorious from the outside, but it isn't.

With how much work there is to do these days, I at least try to give all the vehicles a fair run through.

Either way I give you credit for being a great sport throughout this thread.

Thanks Lance, I'll be in PHX on Friday + Sat...beer?

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I'm by no means salty, I thoroughly enjoy the entertainment and information that this website provides although I do find the "Expo" soapbox to be a bit tiring at times. All of you that run the site have done an excellent job building a brand with some very dedicated followers.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Matt...pm sent on the great idea of a Sat meetup here in Phx... looking forward to enjoying this conversation in person.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Haha I just read through this thread and it was quite entertaining. This is purely my opinion but I would say that what it really comes down to is what you need. I caught a lot of crap for my Hummer but as underpowered as it was in 100,000 miles it never left me stranded, I never had to think twice about if a component would fail or not, and it would take me anywhere I wanted to go. My more recent and significantly cheaper vehicle which granted is known to be among the most unreliable vehicles ever has already had several issues, one of which left me stranded.I'm okay with this however because I live 1 mile from work and can walk if need be. Plus as many people can attest to I'm mechanically inept and I'm trying to learn. The reality is that a 30 of 40 year old truck is going to have things fail. It just becomes a comparison of having far less components (but older ones) in your 70's FJ or Burb vs having a stupidly complex new system that probably won't fail in the first place but is a pain if it does. If you want a vehicle where all you have to do is swap the oil and keep driving you'll probably want a new car. If you dont mind doing some work and keeping a close eye on things an older truck may be for you. Personally I haven't figured out what fits me yet but as long as your vehicle works for you who cares just drive it.

BTW Lance
Since when does your burb have a diesel? It must've been after the trip we did last summer or I was deaf on that whole drive!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
No diesel yet....planned conversion about this time next year.

I have all the parts lined up but I don't want to have the rig down for a long time.
And to keep this post on topic when it comes to older rigs I think for a very resonable cost you can bring many aspects up to a modern and comfortable level.
For example I paid $4500 for my used 1970 Suburban (pretty much what it sold for new so great return on investment for the original owner).
I will have another $5000-$7000 into it when all is said and done.
That will give me a 4 passenger rig, that can sleep 2-4 inside, get 20 mpg, have front & rear ARB lockers, mild lift, Hannibal awning, solar powering dual batteries and that I am pretty sure I could sell for $10,000 all painted and pretty....or keep forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94