Old school stove found . . . .

sewerdigger

Observer
Thought I would share this little gem with you folks. A bitter sweet story but a good one.

Recently had a life long friend that had to move his parents belongings out of their house of 25+ years due to a recent death.

Asked me to help sort through their years of memories. Sort it. Keep it. Sell it. Donate it.

This was in my rig when we finished up. One golden box.

06191114551.jpg

'nuff said.

R.I.P. Marty

Todd

Toyotero

Explorer
I ate breakfasts cooked on one of those in many a national and state park when I was young.

BTW, if you want to find out when it was made, the year of manufacture of the tank is stamped into the underside of one of the two hangers.

Here's a fun website about these stoves: www.oldtowncoleman.com
(or, it used to be.. it looks like they redid it and took down all the old stove photos in the 'museum' temporarily... hopefully they put 'em back up soon.)

Last edited:

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I have two of those, one is for parts and one is still operating. I prefer white gas to the propane as you know exactly what you have left over.

Yours looks like new (a lot better shape than mine), great stove!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have a few kicking around that I debate keeping or selling every few months. At last count I had 3 two-burner and 1 three-burner white gas stoves in addition to the two propane stoves I have.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Great score! specs & year?

Coleman stamps the model into the front right by the handle and the year is often stamped on the bottom of the unit. They are an addicting hobby and parts have an amazing availability for even the older models. A few from my fleet :D

Camp_Equip 001 (Medium).jpg

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I ,too, have a 2 burner and a 3 burner in that stove. I purchased a propane adapter and hose for it. Just makes it easier to carry a propane canister than white gas for me.
Great stoves...the classics are always nice to have around.

Quill

Adventurer
I bought a 1969 model this year that I doubt was ever used. Great for camping or an emergency stove, plus this Coleman fetish I have.

IMG_0007-1.jpg

jcbrandon

Explorer
Nice find.
My regular camp stove is just about identical, though showing a much deeper "patina." I was cooking on it at the 2008 Expedition Trophy. Roseann Hanson noticed and said, "You know, a lot of people are starting to use the vintage gear." I didn't know it was vintage. I've been using it since my dad bought it in 1973.
If you don't already have one, I suggest getting a cast iron griddle that covers both burners. That's one of my favorite camp cooking tools.

cruiseroutfit

Nice find.
My regular camp stove is just about identical, though showing a much deeper "patina." I was cooking on it at the 2008 Expedition Trophy. Roseann Hanson noticed and said, "You know, a lot of people are starting to use the vintage gear." I didn't know it was vintage. I've been using it since my dad bought it in 1973.
If you don't already have one, I suggest getting a cast iron griddle that covers both burners. That's one of my favorite camp cooking tools.

:cool:

We do a run each year (RelicRun) in which we not only prefer to use vintage gear but we require it. There will be 30+ people driving 70's (and older) era vehicles, cooking on old stoves, etc. Its funny some of the attendees question the use of the word 'vintage' as "its what I use all the time" :D

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I ,too, have a 2 burner and a 3 burner in that stove. I purchased a propane adapter and hose for it. Just makes it easier to carry a propane canister than white gas for me.
Great stoves...the classics are always nice to have around.

Where can I find said adapters?

cruiseroutfit

Where can I find said adapters?

Any camping gear store and likely even the 'marts i.e. K-Mart, etc. I'm personally fond of running them on liquid fuel. A well tuned stove burns it nicely, that said I used one of the adapters to convert my Kamp Kitchn to modern propane.

hansonian

Observer
I picked up a similar stove last year still "new" in the box with all the paperwork. Probably the best $20 I've spent on camping gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles