Old's Cool

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Have only had this one for a month or so but spilling $$$ into her hand over fist and she is loving life once again.
2.4 Diesel 5 speed Duel Cab

That's my favorite Toyota model. I love the square body era and the double cab version is the king! It's the 2LT motor right? You going to turbo it?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Man no kidding. It's stupid what these trucks are starting to be worth these days. I got my current one for free, and my previous '94 4runner was $1400. I sold that runner for $3k a bunch of years ago and was kind of shocked. I get weird offers for my white truck all the time. If it continues like this it'll be worth more than my wife's Lexus soon. (only sort of joking!)

It's pretty hilarious really...I mean they were great for the 80s-90s era but man they are slow with the 22re. Add slightly larger tires and they're a dog.

A clean mighty max or hard body with a V6 can be had for so much less money!

TrucMan

Adventurer
2c8e942c2a3ec76ec0fb44fcb0e73c92.jpg

Older picture of mine, but still have all the trucks, excepting the Trekker in the middle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

85hinuff

1375bce3af964bec6b08af08c4a31875.jpg

This is my current 86 SR5 4Runner. I found it at a local college professors house. He bought it for his daughter and she did not like it. When I found "Tuck", he'd been sitting for 3 years. I done a little trading around and got this for a steal. Cleaned it, (a lot!) , replaced plugs, wires, all its filters, fluids, and off we went to get an altitude adjustment. Threw on a 4.5" trailmaster lift, new rear spring packs with extended shackles, era correct wheels from Mickey Thompson that I'd been saving for years, an axle truss from a build that I done back in the early 90's. New shocks, new 35's, repurposed Yakima rack, retro grant steering wheel and Toyota gear. Re-cammed it with an RV cam from engnbuilder.com, flame thrower injectors, lifters, new retrofit header, new exhaust, shocks, stabilizers, and window tint.
Now it's my Overland project. Slowly making it self sufficient. Love this truck.
cfe4a9630f9c3a4033fd3df0bf816a62.jpg

Looking forward to the upcoming outdoor season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, nobody will be left with any doubts about where you are from!

It's a 22RE right? What gears did you go with to run the 35s? I had 5.29s in my 22RE pickup and it turned the 35s perfectly.

Arktikos

Explorer
It's pretty hilarious really...I mean they were great for the 80s-90s era but man they are slow with the 22re. Add slightly larger tires and they're a dog.

A clean mighty max or hard body with a V6 can be had for so much less money!

The 4 cylinder KA24E is the go to engine in the hard body, I believe, just as the 22RE is preferred to the 3.0. Yes, these are very good trucks, with a bit more HP in their 4 cylinder engine. I preferred my '95 Nissan to my '92 Toyota.

Not much aftermarket support for them though, and it seems most people just aren't content with a stock truck these days-though I am.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The prices are nuts, can't argue that one, though I'm good with slow. My 100 has a V8 and it's just unnecessary for me. I've tried for almost 2 years to convince myself to keep it. It's the second suv I've tried and has only confirmed I'm a pickup person. V6 is fine but really I'm good with a 4 banger. I'm 33 but drive like an old man anyway. I get honked at weekly. If I don't go 22re next I'm going 2.7 reg cab Taco. To each their own. Honestly if money were no object I'd find the lowest mileage, most well maintained, rust free 2014 reg cab 2.7 Taco I could and go with that. But again, seeing people listing trucks from '86 for $8K just stings! I looked at one here (coastal VA) this past weekend, he had at $6.5K, outside was a-okay but frame was crap and interior looked like a bum had been living in it since the 90s and he wouldn't budge on price, had over 220K on the clock. Yikes.

I'm with ya. I've been looking for a reg. cab 2nd gen for awhile that's reasonably priced and very well taken care of (seem a lot got trashed...)

but then I look at the prices and it's still around 15-16k for one with 80,000 miles. Even with the prices I'm still looking but the problem is I need to sell my Montero Sport if I'm serious and it gets just as good of fuel economy with 32s, 200hp and more torque....and I have every maintenance record since new so it's risky to sell and then not find the right adventure taco.

Plus for 15k I could buy a minty full size Montero and decent miata for daily driving.....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm not really sure what the cutoff date for "olds cool" is, and I'm probably past it with this one, but since we have been taking about Nissans too, I figure a '96 Toyota isn't going to ruffle too many feathers.

At 10:00 this morning it was rather "meh".

image.jpg2_zpsiivvpx4d.jpg

At 3:00 in the afternoon, it was vastly improved!

image.jpg1_zpsjcpcusyg.jpg

Specs: it's a '96 now with 3" lift, 33" Procomp MTs on newer Taco wheels, a 3.4 auto with 4.30 gears and factory locker in the rear. It's pretty much ready to take on anything reasonably "expo" oriented once I throw a strap, come-along and my hi-lift in the back. I'm in to it for a total of $2300. Am I happy with it? You bet!

85hinuff

Well, nobody will be left with any doubts about where you are from!

It's a 22RE right? What gears did you go with to run the 35s? I had 5.29s in my 22RE pickup and it turned the 35s perfectly.

Ha. Yeah it's a 22re. It currently still has the stock gears in it. 4:10. With the motor upgrades it pulls ok, but I have a set of Yukon 5:29's to put in it. Our overland group is sponsoring an off road rally in June. I hope to get it done before then. redclayrally.com

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
It sounds like our motors are similar. I had a Doug Thorley header too. Must add 100hp or so. You'll be very happy with the 5.29s. Mine pulled hills like it had stock tires on it. It was awesome.

85hinuff

Definitely. I'd been told the stock cap wouldn't hold one. Glad to see that it works!

The rain gutters on the side over the sliding windows has proven to be "not strong enough" but I used Yakima Wide body rack mounts to mount the rack to and that has been more than sufficient.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'm not really sure what the cutoff date for "olds cool" is, and I'm probably past it with this one, but since we have been taking about Nissans too, I figure a '96 Toyota isn't going to ruffle too many feathers.

Don't tell anyone but I put my 01 Mitsubishi in here....

but it's still cheaper than a rusted out 1st gen 4runner with 400k miles a leaky 22re and a dead cat inside :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior