Old's Cool

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Those of you who are keeping the old Toyota pick ups going, how are you dealing with frame rust? Just patch it and keep rocking?

screwball48

Explorer
Those of you who are keeping the old Toyota pick ups going, how are you dealing with frame rust? Just patch it and keep rocking?

I have owned a few pre- tacoma pickups over the years. Everything from 78-93. I have never had issues with frame rot on any of those (the 78 maybe but I only owned it for two hours). I think the frame issue began with the tacomas. Now the beds on the older trucks were another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arktikos

Explorer

I sold mine. :sombrero: It was a '92. Frame from spring hangars back, and the spring hangars themselves were rotting. Fuel lines too. Full disclosure to buyer, BTW. We get lots of precipitation here, and salt is occasionally used in the winter on roads for the ice. Plus, the soil at the local dump is quite acidic, apparently, something I've recently heard. Pressure wash every year plus ospho and POR15 before rust gets out of hand is my suggestion.

AaronK

Explorer
That's a great idea!

7af451f5946a794f4b9775d86f46d3c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's hilarious

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I have owned a few pre- tacoma pickups over the years. Everything from 78-93. I have never had issues with frame rot on any of those (the 78 maybe but I only owned it for two hours). I think the frame issue began with the tacomas. Now the beds on the older trucks were another story.

No, I had a neighbor for years who was a Toyota guy. He had an '83 or '84 and then later an '89 or '90 or so. Both rusted out. He sold the older one and actually did a frame swap himself in his driveway (you believe that?!?) on the newer one. He also built his own flatbed for it and fabbed in the seats from an Oldsmobile. Dude was a character, but yeah, those trucks rusted out too. Maybe just depends on where they were driven?

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Unmodified 1979 FJ40

I bought this '79 FJ40 new. Sold it last year. It had 113K miles on it. Other than air pump and cat delete, it was unmodified. It still had bias ply mud grip tires on it a week before this goodbye photo was taken.

I sold it to a great guy and I have visitation rights.

08-29-15%20FJ40%20001.jpg

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
This thread had me talking about the "old-days"...
Bombing through Central America in our '81 SR5, long bed.
Dirt-bag style living for the better part of year (1991-1992).
This thread has got my seventeen year old kid looking for an old Toyota pickup...

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3415.jpg
    IMG_3415.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3413.jpg
    IMG_3413.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 119

shabba

Observer
This thread had me talking about the "old-days"...
Bombing through Central America in our '81 SR5, long bed.
Dirt-bag style living for the better part of year (1991-1992).
This thread has got my seventeen year old kid looking for an old Toyota pickup...

Cheers!
so sick! I've been thinking of doing this in my 13 regular cab toyota tacoma.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I never took the time to dive into this thread. Shame on me...it has me smiling ear to ear every page I visit. Now, I'm looking at older Toyota pickup 4x4s. :victory:

Anota

Observer
Here's my old rig with some modern parts '98 T love

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Cap is stripped getting ready for a westfalia style pop-top roof

DSC_0045.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke