On Board Air Compressor Installation Questions

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The best approach (and the most Expo-sexual one) would be to retrofit an AC compressor to pump air. You could do a tire in a couple minutes...

shade

The best approach (and the most Expo-sexual one) would be to retrofit an AC compressor to pump air. You could do a tire in a couple minutes...
True, he could York it, but maybe OP doesn't want to take on some involved project requiring him to retrofit parts from other vehicles to his, and make custom brackets.

meh - You wouldn't understand. :)

6gun

True, he could York it, but maybe OP doesn't want to take on some involved project requiring him to retrofit parts from other vehicles to his, and make custom brackets.

meh - You wouldn't understand. :)

I'd certainly hate to have non-stock parts on my rig :LOL::cool: ! I have the room to locate a 3-5 gallon tank right at each wheel should I choose to do so. I find it hilarious that so many people feel like they know what I am limited to as far as size of tank. More than likely based on preliminary thinking it will be a 12-15 gallon aluminum tank(s) fed by one or possibly two Viair 450 compressors and set to hold at about 145PSI. Cost isn't a huge factor, you could say I have friends in the biz. Size constraints rule out certain options, I'd love to have an engine driven setup but it's just not gonna fit or needed. Co2 would be an excellent choice but I can put together my planned system cheaper than most Co2 setups(once again, friends in the biz).

Attachments

• 100_0539.JPG
    100_0539.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 11

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
All of this conversation is discounting the enormous benefits of just having a source of stable OBA on the vehicle. You can run an impact gun, blow dust off of stuff, inflate a paddleboard, whatever. It's also just nice being able to pull the hose out from behind the seat, plug in it, and start inflating tires. No screwing with a mobile compressor.

shade

All of this conversation is discounting the enormous benefits of just having a source of stable OBA on the vehicle. You can run an impact gun ...

I don't think anyone is arguing against having OBA. I think the conversation has been more about having a system that can handle the demands of the 6gun's tyres.

Most of the people I see (or rather, hear) dicking around with impacts are spinning unloaded tools that have no hope of being supplied properly by relatively feeble OBA systems.
IMO, it's better to use a good battery powered impact today.

shade

I have to say that I was kinda let down by the performance of my Viair 450P in bringing my 39X12.50R17's back up from 15PSI to 35PSI. I have a 7 gallon air tank and I believe I will be designing a system to utilize that in conjunction with the Viair and see how that performs.

There is NEVER enough compressed air storage! But in this case I believe 7 gallons at ~150PSI will be sufficient to speed up the process a great deal. If space permits the tank may actually wind up being two-six gallon tanks, but I have to get under the truck and do some measuring first. I also need to try to wrangle an auxiliary gas tank under there somewhere. Space runs out fast on a standard cab compact truck!

I'd certainly hate to have non-stock parts on my rig :LOL::cool: ! I have the room to locate a 3-5 gallon tank right at each wheel should I choose to do so. I find it hilarious that so many people feel like they know what I am limited to as far as size of tank. More than likely based on preliminary thinking it will be a 12-15 gallon aluminum tank(s) fed by one or possibly two Viair 450 compressors and set to hold at about 145PSI. Cost isn't a huge factor, you could say I have friends in the biz. Size constraints rule out certain options, I'd love to have an engine driven setup but it's just not gonna fit or needed. Co2 would be an excellent choice but I can put together my planned system cheaper than most Co2 setups(once again, friends in the biz).

If you keep increasing the output, I'm sure you'll reach a satisfactory point eventually.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
IMO, it's better to use a good battery powered impact today.
I think that's true. The utility of having a York and a decent air receiver to run an impact was awesome a decade ago. With good battery operated options now air is just to fill tires. I had OBA on the old truck with Air Lockers and it was nice being able to pop the hood and start filling. But honestly being portable now (not having a truck with Air Lockers anymore) is fine and has come in handy being able to carry the compressor up the trail, too.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Having the ability to use an air nozzle is really helpful in my rig. Clean floor mats, blow out filters, get crap out of footwells, starting fires... I really liked my brother Dewalt electric impact unit, I would go that route before bringing a pneumatic impact along.

shade

I think that's true. The utility of having a York and a decent air receiver to run an impact was awesome a decade ago. With good battery operated options now air is just to fill tires. I had OBA on the old truck with Air Lockers and it was nice being able to pop the hood and start filling. But honestly being portable now (not having a truck with Air Lockers anymore) is fine and has come in handy being able to carry the compressor up the trail, too.
For a few hundred dollars, you can buy a Milwaukee or DeWalt battery powered impact gun that can spin many pneumatics backwards, and the batteries last quite awhile. Amazing things.

shade

Having the ability to use an air nozzle is really helpful in my rig. Clean floor mats, blow out filters, get crap out of footwells, starting fires... I really liked my brother Dewalt electric impact unit.
I've used mine to stoke a fire, too. A friend thought I was putting him on, but it worked great.

6gun

I agree about OBA being most important to fill tires. Tool-wise it is VERY inefficient. Blowing out filters, inflating an air mattress and the occasional float toy as well as inflating tires will be the extent of my use. Battery operated tools rule!

I figured you were kidding around, after all if you don't want any custom/aftermarket parts you probably ain't very serious about this hobby! My truck uses a shocking amount of factory parts but there is a tad bit of custom required to reach my level! ;)

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
My Puma PD1006 has zero issue removing the lug nuts quickly on my Ram 3500. They are torqued to 145#, significantly more than whatever most people drive. I don't know what you guys are doing wrong to have issues using an impact gun. And the best part is it just sits there for months waiting to be used. No batteries to recharge or be dead when i need to use it.

I've got enough batteries to keep charged. I don't need another set in the truck.

shade

My Puma PD1006 has zero issue removing the lug nuts quickly on my Ram 3500. They are torqued to 145#, significantly more than whatever most people drive. I don't know what you guys are doing wrong to have issues using an impact gun. And the best part is it just sits there for months waiting to be used. No batteries to recharge or be dead when i need to use it.

I've got enough batteries to keep charged. I don't need another set in the truck.

No one said pneumatic impact guns don't work, or are a bad idea. I said that they don't work and are a bad idea without sufficient air, and I've observed people trying to use them that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier