On board air VS Portable compressor VS Powertank/CO2

Just out of a matter of interest, What Vehicle do you need this for ?

Also For deflating grab either an ARB EZI Deflator or one of the Cheaper ones off Ebay, I have Both types and there is nothing to choose between them apart from one will cost you about 60 bucks and the other will cost you 15 to 25 bucks,, I bought 2 ARB versions and 2 Ebay Versions and they are the same apart from the ARB Dial reads 60/65psi and the Ebay version reads 75psi, The ARB comes in a ballistic Nylon Pouch and the Ebay version comes in a cheap Peli style Box, In terms of the Brass fittings it is impossible to tell them apart and I would go as far to say they are made by the same people, Ok

Please checkout this Link to see the reviews of all of ARB's and The Cheaper Alternatives,
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/tyres-and-tyre-gauge-testing.199020/

Hope that helps.
I'd be using it with my Dakota which currently has 265/70/R16 tires. Nothing fancy as anything bigger would keep me from getting into my spot in my buildings parkade.

Thanks for the tips on deflators, I'll check them out when I get a chance.

I'd be using it with my Dakota which currently has 265/70/R16 tires. Nothing fancy as anything bigger would keep me from getting into my spot in my buildings parkade.

Thanks for the tips on deflators, I'll check them out when I get a chance.
Cool, I saw one of those back a while ago and wanted one, Coming from Aus I hadn't seen one till I moved to the UK.

The single ARB will Air Up a 245/70/16 from 15psi to 32psi in about 1m 03 seconds and the Twin will do it in under 30 seconds, So The ARB Portable or the Viair 400/450 will more than do what you want, I hope that gives you some Idea on performance, Also the ARB On Board Single model with Air Up 12.x35x17 from 15 to 32 psi in 2m 10seconds +/-.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Cool, I saw one of those back a while ago and wanted one, Coming from Aus I hadn't seen one till I moved to the UK.

The single ARB will Air Up a 245/70/16 from 15psi to 32psi in about 1m 03 seconds and the Twin will do it in under 30 seconds, So The ARB Portable or the Viair 400/450 will more than do what you want, I hope that gives you some Idea on performance, Also the ARB On Board Single model with Air Up 12.x35x17 from 15 to 32 psi in 2m 10seconds +/-.

Hope that helps.
It's been a decent vehicle so far. Here's the most recent picture I have of it, right after getting a bumper made. I moved the coolant overflow/windshield washer tanks (passenger side of the bumper) not long after since they were pretty exposed. I've also gotten new headlights since this was taken and am planning on getting a custom roof/contractor rack built this summer.

mein derpkota.jpg

It's been a decent vehicle so far. Here's the most recent picture I have of it, right after getting a bumper made. I moved the coolant overflow/windshield washer tanks (passenger side of the bumper) not long after since they were pretty exposed. I've also gotten new headlights since this was taken and am planning on getting a custom roof/contractor rack built this summer.

View attachment 499053
Nice Truck, my 4x4 has the washer bottle in the same place, I don't know why they did not put in in the Engine bay, I had to replace the pump in it, being exposed like that caused mine to corrode, Parts are cheap enough but getting to it was a mission that's for sure, Funny how these things always give up in the winter So you have to lay on the cold ground to get it done.

Back when I was off roading several times a month for years I quickly made the jump to an on board air system. Hated standing around for a portable compressor to bring 35 inch tires back from 18 psi to 36 psi. After doing that a few times in the summer in the southern kalifornia deserts I wanted back in the A/C as quick as possible!! Add a few times in the rain and I was done! Bought a Viair 200 psi 100% duty compressor with a 2.5 gallon tank and it was a huge improvement! Recent years have added a second 2.5 gallon tank so airing up those big tires is quick and easy!!
I would never go back to anything less. But as you can see I off road a lot!! I suppose a tank would be ok but you'll never know if you have enough air left in the tank to bet on it. Nothing wears out a friendship faster then having to keep asking to borrow their compressor. And those portable compressors do take a long time to cool off before you'll want to risk stowing the cables and air line before you can put them away, don't ask me how I know that!! But If you only off road once in a while then I would go for the portable compressor and enjoy your trips!
If I recall correctly I think the name of my deflaters is Staun? I'd go look but it's snowing right now and hey, baby it's cold outside!!

Back when I was off roading several times a month for years I quickly made the jump to an on board air system. Hated standing around for a portable compressor to bring 35 inch tires back from 18 psi to 36 psi. After doing that a few times in the summer in the southern kalifornia deserts I wanted back in the A/C as quick as possible!! Add a few times in the rain and I was done! Bought a Viair 200 psi 100% duty compressor with a 2.5 gallon tank and it was a huge improvement! Recent years have added a second 2.5 gallon tank so airing up those big tires is quick and easy!!
I would never go back to anything less. But as you can see I off road a lot!! I suppose a tank would be ok but you'll never know if you have enough air left in the tank to bet on it. Nothing wears out a friendship faster then having to keep asking to borrow their compressor. And those portable compressors do take a long time to cool off before you'll want to risk stowing the cables and air line before you can put them away, don't ask me how I know that!! But If you only off road once in a while then I would go for the portable compressor and enjoy your trips!
If I recall correctly I think the name of my deflaters is Staun? I'd go look but it's snowing right now and hey, baby it's cold outside!!
I got the Twin ARB because it stays very cool and is very fast on 35's and 37" inch Tyres being portable and having the Tank built in gives it a lot of power in reserve, Yes it comes at a price but having power to spare is a huge bonus, Not to mention that I can take it with me where ever I go no matter what the Vehicle.