One more for today....F-250 to get MONSTER V-8 in 2020

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
https://news.yahoo.com/monster-v8-engine-debut-ford-154100242.html

Monster V8 engine to debut in Ford 2020 pickups in fall
The 2020 Ford F-250 pickup will offer a new 7.3L gasoline V8.

The 2020 Ford F-250 pickup will offer a new 7.3L gasoline V8.
Ford’s biggest trucks will get one of the world's biggest V8 engines starting this fall, as one aspect of the Truck Wars turns into an old-fashioned battle of engine size that's reminiscent of the muscle car era.
Exhibit A: A 7.3L gasoline-powered V8 coming to Ford’s Super Duty pickups and commercial vehicles, from ambulances and utility bucket trucks to just a step shy of massive highway semitrucks.
Most of the conversation about big trucks like these – they’re officially called Class 2 through Class 7 vehicles, based on the massive weights they can haul and tow – focuses on diesel engines. But gasoline engines play a role, too, accounting for up to 40% of sales of big Class 2-4 pickups like Ford’s F-250, 350 and 450 Super Duty trucks.
“Diesels are incredibly important for those trucks, but many customers don’t need their full towing capacity,” IHS Markit senior analyst Stephanie Brinley said. “Those customers can get everything they need at a lower cost with a gasoline engine."
In addition to that, many fleet customers only keep trucks this size for three or four years, so diesel’s long-term, high-mileage durability isn’t worth those engines’ higher cost.
The new V8 produces 430 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque in Super Duty pickups, slightly less in some of Ford's other commercial trucks.
Most stolen new cars: These 20 vehicles are tops in the U.S.
What it means for shoppers: Volkswagen nixes 6-year warranty
Tested for reliability, durability
Ford builds the V8 in Windsor, Ontario. It made and tested hundreds of preproduction versions before it was ready to start selling the new V8. That’s expensive – every preproduction engine an automaker builds takes time, parts and money you’ll never be able to use in an engine it sells to a customer – but a sign of how important durability and reliability is to commercial truck owners. A broken truck is a crisis for a small business that can’t make deliveries, or for a hospital without an ambulance.
The 7.3L engine is an upgrade from the gasoline V8 Ford offered before, a 6.2L that produces 385 hp and 430 pound-feet of torque. The 6.2L remains the base engine in the F-250 and 350.
General Motors also introduced a new 6.6L gasoline V8 – its biggest gas V8 – for its Class 2 and 3 (Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500 and 3500) pickups this year. It’s smaller, with a total cylinder displacement of 6.6L. It produces 401 hp and 464 pound-feet of torque. Ram’s biggest gasoline V8 for its 2500/3500 trucks is the 6.4L Hemi.
Ford's new 7.3L gasoline V8 produces up to 430 hp.

Ford's new 7.3L gasoline V8 produces up to 430 hp.
Ford has a new diesel V8 coming this fall, too, but it hasn’t revealed its power output yet.
The new gasoline V8 should increase the trucks’ capability, but Ford is playing coy about how much a truck with it will be able to tow or haul. Towing and hauling may sound like the same thing, but to truckers, “towing” means how much you can pull behind the vehicle on a trailer. “Hauling” is how much you can load onto the back of a pickup or flatbed, or how heavy a body you can put on an ambulance, utility company bucket truck, etc. Expect details on all that closer to when the 2020 Super Duty pickups go on sale this fall.
Can run on natural gas
Ford doesn’t have to report fuel economy figures for these big, commercial trucks, despite the fact that many people drive F-250s and 350s for everyday use. The 7.3L gasoline engine can be converted to run on natural gas, though.
The engine is paired with Ford’s new 10-speed automatic transmission on F-250 through F-600 trucks.
The transmission shares just 7% of its parts with the 10-speed automatic available on the smaller F-150.
The 10-speed transmission in Ford's 2020 Super Duty pickups is the same length as the six-speed it replaces.

The 10-speed transmission in Ford's 2020 Super Duty pickups is the same length as the six-speed it replaces.
Key features:
  • It’s the same length as the old 6-speed transmission
  • It got just 3.5 pounds heavier, despite adding four gears and other features
  • Its top three gears are all overdrives
  • All models have five programmed modes including “eco,” “tow” and “slippery"
  • Tremor pickups add a sixth mode for off-road driving
This article originally appeared on Detroit Free Press: Ford pickups to add one of world's biggest V8 engines this fall

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
“Ford doesn’t have to report fuel economy figures for these big, commercial trucks, despite the fact that many people drive F-250s and 350s for everyday use.”

Don’t have to....but, still, it’d be nice to know.

jadmt

ignore button user
they won't say when they really are going to hit the dealer lots. I love fords and I love big V8 gas engines. My last ford was a 460 and it drank gas like in under 10mpg. If this one gets anywhere close to 18mpg I will be jonesing for one.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
7.3 and diesel only for the Tremor package. 6.2L won't be available. Bummer. I think a 6.2L with the 10 speed would be a good combo. Probably get near the same fuel mileage as my '15 F150 with the 5.0L, 6 speed and 3:73's.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I think the 7.3 will be a winner. That Tremor package is basically everything I would want in a truck, right off the lot. I don't do anything too serious offroad.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
I’m very interested in the Super Duty with the new 7.3L Gas Motor and Tremor Package. I’ll be curious to see how it stacks up against the Power Wagon.

dstefan

7.3 and diesel only for the Tremor package. 6.2L won't be available. Bummer. I think a 6.2L with the 10 speed would be a good combo. Probably get near the same fuel mileage as my '15 F150 with the 5.0L, 6 speed and 3:73's.
Yeah, and the Tremor package isn’t available with a Scab, just the Screw. Makes no sense not to have the off-road package in the shorter wheelbase. Sigh. . .

OTOH you CAN get 6.2 with the 10 speed in a 350. Again kinda stupid not to offer with the 250. Source for both tidbits is the 2020 Order Guide.

I’m thinking the 10 speed and 350 and fingers crossed the 10 speed doesn’t share the F150 10 speed problems, but hopefully not since it was designed ground up for the SuperDuties. Just wonder if the best mpg comes with the 7.3 and 10 speed since they were designed for each other.

LosAngeles

anyone have a web link to a PDF for the SuperDuty 2020 Order Guide ?

thanks

Yeah, and the Tremor package isn’t available with a Scab, just the Screw. Makes no sense not to have the off-road package in the shorter wheelbase. Sigh. . .

OTOH you CAN get 6.2 with the 10 speed in a 350. Again kinda stupid not to offer with the 250. Source for both tidbits is the 2020 Order Guide.

I’m thinking the 10 speed and 350 and fingers crossed the 10 speed doesn’t share the F150 10 speed problems, but hopefully not since it was designed ground up for the SuperDuties. Just wonder if the best mpg comes with the 7.3 and 10 speed since they were designed for each other.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Is the F150 10 speed having issues?

Explorerinil

Observer
Is the F150 10 speed having issues?
The 10 speed in my f150 for work has weird shift patterns and clunks between gears. It has got stuck in 7th gear many times. Ford has replaced some sensor in the trans several times. According to the tech at the ford dealer, “it’s a common problem”, I’m not sure if this is the same thing the other person was talking about.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Yep. As usual, the chumpy RV shmucks complained about the trucks height. 350's are lower, 250's are 2" lower than 350's again. Started this model year.

17's and 18's were about the same height, and quite tall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles