One possible fix to the low range problem with EV’s

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
This guy has an interesting potential solution? for extending the range for an electric vehicle. He recently tried this out and has written about his experiences here, putting a gas powered generator into the back of his Tesla to charge the engine and keep it charged while driving. His results were less than optimal ?, but you could see this as perhaps ultimately being a better developed solution, especially for pick up trucks where you have room to put a bigger generator in the bed! But some major tweaking of this idea is definitely needed for it to really make it worthwhile, as his mpgs and charging times weren’t anything to brag about…?!

At any rate, an interesting idea, basically reverse engineering and turning this EV into an anemic home brewed hybrid.?

42D389D4-1DAB-4690-92A5-E372FB82C130.jpeg

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
I've said it before and it bears repeating.
A hybrid makes the most sense, at least in the short term.
Now which pony motor to use is one question.
Some think a small gas engine is good, ala. Prius.
I think a small diesel would be better.
Then there is the little wankel engine I've seen for this job.

alanymarce

Recent experience on a 3 week trip around Central Europe with a diesel hybrid - we had to fill up only every fourth country!

Seriously though - the consumption was 5 L/100 km; the range was 1500 km! With this approach major crossings of areas with no fuel (Simpson, SW Bolivia...) become possible with no need for reserve fuel.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
This company is an awesome start up that has really the only potential I've seen to change the whole battery longevity/charge/waste issue.

Absolutely fascinating.

If you're too lazy to click the link, basically they take nuclear waster, turn it into a diamond battery type of thing and the battery can last many thousands of years. It would get rid of toxic nuclear waste, greatly lower the mining needs of batteries and reduce EV battery waste when the battery has to get replaced.

Not sure if you get a side of radiation with your purchase tho.....

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If you're too lazy to click the link, basically they take nuclear waster, turn it into a diamond battery type of thing and the battery can last many thousands of years. It would get rid of toxic nuclear waste, greatly lower the mining needs of batteries and reduce EV battery waste when the battery has to get replaced.
Can you give me the cliff notes?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rruff

Explorer
At any rate, an interesting idea, basically turning this EV into a home brewed hybrid.

'80s hybrid tech cobbled together in someone's garage. It certainly isn't new, and real car companies have done it much better.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
This company is an awesome start up that has really the only potential I've seen to change the whole battery longevity/charge/waste issue.

Nothing but typical startup hype and BS. No data, no specs, no price, no testing.

This guy is really hard to listen to, but...

Something you can read:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles