Opinions: Color of Defender steel wheels on Range Rover Classic?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Hello all,

I just picked up a set of factory Defender steel wheels as a second set for my '89 Range Rover Classic. I'm going to mount 235/85R16 KM2's on them. I had originally planned to paint them Eastnor Green to match the Rangie, but now am wondering how they would look if I just left them the original limestone color? What do you all think? Added some pics of the truck and wheel color choices for comparison.

Thanks,

David

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I like the stock wheels better, they fit the classic style better IMO

I'll be using both sets. The steels will be mainly for off-road use. An advantage of the steels is that they will give me 5mm more room inside to help keep my turning radius intact with the 235's.

jgdisco2

Adventurer
I think they will look great, anyway you could mount them first before painting? Color matched has always been one of my favorite choices though

Eniam17

Adventurer
I didn't even answer your original question sorry about that. I agree with this ^^^ I like the wheel color matched to the vehicle in this case.

jhawk

Adventurer
I love the steel wheels on the RRC. The look is great. I'm going to go black on my silver truck. Though, the black wheel thing is getting played out. Have you thought about going 215/85 instead of 235/85? I've run both sizes and 215/85 is far superior in my opinion.

Blueboy

Adventurer
the color match body alloy wheel was how the NAS '93 LWBs were set-up and they looked good.

didn't personally like the white / white combo, yet, we had green / green and it was ok.

you might want to try the grey color your alloy wheel currently is as an another option to consider.

on 215 vs 235 I ran both on the LWB and much preferred the 235.

currently have 265/75 MTRs on the '94 LWB and they work nicely as well on and off-highway - same height just different width.

always liked the alloys on a Rangie, yet, the steelies look good as well albeit heavy keeping in mind the alloy/tire combo isn't exactly too light to start.

Blueboy

Adventurer
was looking at your pic and noticed your Rangie has exposed front door hinges.

you comment it is a 1989 RR, yet, that was the transition year from exposed to hidden hinges.

have you done a VIN check to see if it is a really late year '88 sold as a '89?

or a really early '89 that somehow didn't get the updated hinges?

personally think the exposed hinges are cooler.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
was looking at your pic and noticed your Rangie has exposed front door hinges.

you comment it is a 1989 RR, yet, that was the transition year from exposed to hidden hinges.

have you done a VIN check to see if it is a really late year '88 sold as a '89?

or a really early '89 that somehow didn't get the updated hinges?

personally think the exposed hinges are cooler.

I love the exposed hinges as well. Mine is a very early '89 before they made the switch to the concealed hinges. It has everything else like an '89 including the BW transfer box, updated interior, 3.9 engine, etc.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I love the steel wheels on the RRC. The look is great. I'm going to go black on my silver truck. Though, the black wheel thing is getting played out. Have you thought about going 215/85 instead of 235/85? I've run both sizes and 215/85 is far superior in my opinion.

I've been going back and forth between 235 and 215. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The 235's give a slight edge off road and are available in the BFG KM2's which I like. The 215's will give better gearing, the same as the 245's I have on the alloys, but no KM2's in that size. There is the Firestone Destination M/T which is a good tire as well. Both tires will fit fine on the 5.5J wheels.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Jhawk: The 215's look great on your Rangie. I think 215's or 245's look more balanced in the wheel wells of the Range Rover or D1 than larger sizes. I have driven through just about everything I wanted to with my 245's so for my uses the 215's may be the best compromise, and they look more stealth too which fits the Range Rover concept better as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94