Opinions Solicited USED EarthRoamer? worth the $$

vagabondette

We've got a great rig for sale at 150k if you're open to non-ER options:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Can you advise further on the Siberian aluminum issues?

Many/most of the aluminum Tigers, including my Malayan, leaked. The problem was that the subcontractor who built the boxes did a poor job of sealing the seams and was unwilling to support the product. (Mine went back twice.) Eventually, the folks at Provan were able to solve the problem - in my case, with a new roof, but the damage was done and Provan stopped selling the aluminum bodied Malayans and Siberians. Pity, as they have excellent, modern systems, much more expedition grade than the systems used on Bengals.

Great campers as long as you are sure that they don't leak or have enough of a discount to fix any leaks yourself.

N.B. Bengals can leak too, they just leak in different places and, over the years, Provan was able to make changes, like lap seams and deleting the windows at the front of the camper, that eliminated most of the problems.

N.B. 2 What is a used Earthroamer worth? It is worth what you pay for it. Not trying to snark, but there are not that many out there and there is no objective market to determine value. You want one, you have to pay the price.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I spent some time yesterday with Jeff and ER58; very nice guy with a very clean and well-kept rig, especially for an '07. It's obvious this ER has been well loved. I was very impressed with how quiet it was in the cab on the truck at highway speeds, and off-pavement (single vehicle dirt/muddy/some icy track outside of Bend) too. No rattles heard from the "camper", no whistling from the "camper" body(even with strong Bend winds), no rattles from inside the cab, only could hear some tire noise(understandable). No serious rocking/wallowing off-pavement; this all was very different than I was expecting. Pleasantly surprised to say the least. I personally love the white exterior as well, looks sano.

Someone is going to get a heck of a value on a well-cared-for XV-LT!

sourdoughben

Info on a Tiger RV is easy to come by, join the Tiger Owner’s Forum, it’s free. My understanding as to why Tiger stopped production of the Bengal and Siberian. 3 Tiger models models just over whelmed their small companies ability to sustain production. BTW, I’ve owned RV trailers, truck campers and a couple camper vans too. They all needed weather seal maintenance and improvements. Leaks was the most common link to all of them.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Info on a Tiger RV is easy to come by, join the Tiger Owner’s Forum, it’s free. My understanding as to why Tiger stopped production of the Bengal and Siberian. 3 Tiger models models just over whelmed their small companies ability to sustain production. BTW, I’ve owned RV trailers, truck campers and a couple camper vans too. They all needed weather seal maintenance and improvements. Leaks was the most common link to all of them.

Good advice SDB. But while you certainly are one of the main Tiger experts on this forum (I’m stating that to encourage anyone with Tiger Q’s to PM you or Diplo as needed), you swung and missed just a little bit here. It’s actually the big Malaysian and Siberian models that Provan no longer builds. The great, smaller Bengal is their sole production model these days,

Last edited:

sourdoughben

Haha, I’m not an expert of any thing. I acquiesce to you sir. Thank you for correcting me.
I don’t think much about the different models and know very little about them only walked inside. However, I have spoken to owners of each model during my years of ownership and 60,000 miles of travels. I know of few owners who dislike their Tiger models form and function. But like my experience with my CX, all mentioned Tigers poor assembly. Honestly, I hate Tiger Adventure RV for there build quality and the Owner’s Group forum for not exposing the shoddy workmanship. You can get a lot of good spec info on that forum but little real exposure of the poor build quality. It takes a lot of effort and time to correct Tigers assembly mistakes and I believe I’ve found and corrected those on mine. I do know my Tiger(rebadged Prospector) very well, but not Tigers.
Prospector and Wrangler @ rubicon Trail.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Get Vaga's LMTV.

or buy an Acela yourself. And add a custom box. If you have time for that.

ckkone

Explorer
You asked "worth the $$"

No, none of them are. Much better options out there for less money, don't be a sheep and do what everyone else does. Watch Bill Spencer's video about how to import from Germany and search on mobile.de, all of these below are LHD and legal for import.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Quite a different driving experience between a more "vintage" cab-over-engine and a more modern American pickup truck. Horses for courses as they say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier