Opinions Wanted

08Silverado

Adventurer
Hello,

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask this question, but here goes anyway. I'm considering changing my camping setup from ground tents to something else. I camp alone about half the time, and the other half the time I have my kids with me. When everyone is along there are 5 of us, kids range in age from 4-12. I'm looking for something a little more "comfortable and more weather resilient than the ground tents I've always used. I like the idea of a trailer based setup when camping so that I can leave it as a basecamp and explore without having to break camp at all. I drive a 2017 Tacoma.

My typical camping destinations are in Oklahoma and Arkansas and sometimes Western states. Normally I don't camp in places with access to power or running water. I also plan to buy a utility trailer of some sort in order to haul additional gear and dirt bikes. My question is what would you recommend to comfortably sleep 1-5 people?

jmbrowning

Big tents and cots in base camp can feel incredibly luxurious for a low price compared to a dedicated live in vehicle/trailer, if you can find the space in the vehicle and campsite for the stuff.

One of the more innovative, if ghetto, setups we saw out there was a three place gooseneck flatbed trailer with a truck camper over the gooseneck and toys behind the TC. That sounds a bit big for your needs. A cargo trailer to toy hauler conversion might do the trick. A multitude of examples are on You Tube.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have gone from RRT to an OZ tent and am now experimenting with tent cots. An OZ tent can be workable for 5 but since you are getting away from ground tents and the OZ can be a bit pricey for some, the suggestion for a flatbed with a camper on it might be better. There is possibly a bit of room for other cargo on a flatbed as well. Even a tent set up on a flatbed might be workable since you have the tents already until the right priced camper shows up. I have seen some given away that only need a bit of clean up to be very serviceable.

hemifoot

Observer
pop up truck camper with an add a room.worked pretty good for us for a few years.dropped the camper for a base camp a lot of the time.carried all the extra bikes and stuff in the boat.now we're doing it all over again with the grandkids.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
look at the jumping jack tent trailer, it folds up with the ability to put the dirt bikes on top while you travel.
You don't mention what your primary 4wd is and that info would help us give thoughts

XPEDBC

Adventurer
here is ours, sleeps 4-5

Attachments

• F2F44580-EA00-4FBC-BD0C-E7CE941BCB53.jpeg
    F2F44580-EA00-4FBC-BD0C-E7CE941BCB53.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 28

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier